Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Any good pubs in Tralee?

• 14-03-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

It's going to be my first time going out in my native Tralee (don't ask) and was wondering was there any good pubs (Fabric doesn't really interest me). I'm into rock if that makes it any easier

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

In my day it was always the Abby Inn, now days I cant be sure as its not my thing any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dresstoimpress

very few pubs do live music, but sean ogs is usually good. Baileys corner is cosy, and willie darcys good for smokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

My absolute favourite pub in Tralee is The Osborne... and if you like rock.. then you will like it there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

Don't worry we won't ask, your 14 right ;)
    Darab wrote: »
    It's going to be my first time going out in my native Tralee (don't ask)

The irony here is that Fabric is one of the only places that have regular rock bands.
    (Fabric doesn't really interest me). I'm into rock if that makes it any easier

You are showing you age there force majeure, not much happening music wise in there these days. It an unwritten rule in town that you only go there when you don't have any other option (i.e. after 00.30)
    Plus at the weekend the you won't be able to tell the crowd in the abbey from fabric.
    In my day it was always the Abby Inn, now days I cant be sure as its not my thing any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭edgesgirl

The Oz has the best jukebox in town.
    Sean ogs has music 6 nights a week but usually folk and trad and its really good
    The Abbey on thursdays....late
    Baileys on a monday friday and sat night but thats acoustic stuff
    The Greyhound has a good selection and the beer is cheapish
    nowhere else really comes to mind

• Advertisement

edgesgirl wrote: »
    The Oz has the best jukebox in town.

Wow! Other Osb fans!! Do you go there regularly? ... If ya do, we prob know each other in IRL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭manoverboards

+1 for the OZ,

Although it is alway full of mad heads, I find them way more predictable and hospitable that the clientèle of many other pubs in town.

Downside is that the Jukebox is often waaay to loud !

Ask nicely and the lads will turn it down. I love the staff and the regulars (of which I'm one lol)... Nicely put manover...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

yeah used to go to the osbourne alot brilliant duke box

reasonably good band in the blasket on saturday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rebelinho

The best pub in Tralee without a shadow of a doubt is Barrett's on the top of Rock Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

Rebelinho wrote: »
    The best pub in Tralee without a shadow of a doubt is Barrett's on the top of Rock Street.

I have lived all my life in Tralee and have never ever heard of that pub. Must not be very good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

It's going to be my first time going out in my native Tralee (don't ask) and was wondering was there any good pubs

No... Sorry...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Rebelinho

Vain wrote: »
    I have lived all my life in Tralee and have never ever heard of that pub. Must not be very good:D

It's there alright, just up a door or two from Linnane's. I joke though, it's an awful spot. Used be a good place for getting take away cans as young fellas! probably still is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

oicherider wrote: »
    No... Sorry...

And you point of view is based on....???

• Registered Users Posts: 10 pubman

there are many good pubs in tralee catering for lots of different tastes. The range is quite good from ,,traditional irish,, with music to suit the tourist/local trade to more modern mainstrem superpubs with live good local bands. at last count there is over 40 plus public houses in tralee.Hard to pick out anyone particular pub as my favorite Willie darcys alas is no longer finding a replacement proveing diffuclt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

I'll be in Tralee for a few hours on Wednesday. Are there any pubs in the centre that don't have loud piped music?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Louche Lad wrote: »
    I'll be in Tralee for a few hours on Wednesday. Are there any pubs in the centre that don't have loud piped music?

An Cearnog doesn't have loud music, would be a nice bar to sit & relax in. There's an outdoor seating area too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Hurry up tho, we are running out of pubs by the week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Louche Lad wrote: »

Baily's Corner doesn't, if it does I've never noticed anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Thanks people.

• Advertisement

check out AN TEACH BEAG. on the mall nice window seat to sit and wacth the world go by. they also have nice traditional style food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

There are a few good pubs at the moment while they are still around, Hennessey's, The Baileys Corner, Benner's, Stockers Lodge and the Blasket. Ruarai's and Harty's were good but have since closed down. Fabric is to be closing down if not closed down already. I hear the Abbey Inn isn't too bad a spot to venture. Depends on what music you really into. Sean Og's and kirbys good too. Not too sure about the Mall though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Try the greyhound bar, not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

It's going to be my first time going out in my native Tralee (don't ask) and was wondering was there any good pubs (Fabric doesn't really interest me). I'm into rock if that makes it any easier

Well for a first timer then you cant go wrong with Linnanes,then stagger down into The Rock Inn,make your way in for a quick kebab and head for the Four Seasons then end up at the end of the night in the creme de la creme of night spots The Sportsfield bar

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Sully34

Are we talking the old Abbey? "Big bag of sticks" Cant see your hand in front of you because of all the smoke and probably cause you dropped something that aint coming up the best. Thems were the days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

pubman wrote: »
    check out AN TEACH BEAG. on the mall nice window seat to sit and wacth the world go by. they also have nice traditional style food.

I think An Teach beag is horrible. It's a complete rip off of Sean ogs almost down to the pictures on the wall and it's usually jammers for some reason.

I think An Teach beag is horrible. It's a complete rip off of Sean ogs almost down to the pictures on the wall and it's usually jammers for some reason.
    moveing swiftly on then why not try PADDY MACS.nice cozy family run pub at least you know your money is supporting a local family. There food is great .

doovdela wrote: »
    There are a few good pubs at the moment while they are still around, Hennessey's, The Baileys Corner, Benner's, Stockers Lodge and the Blasket. Ruarai's and Harty's were good but have since closed down. Fabric is to be closing down if not closed down already. I hear the Abbey Inn isn't too bad a spot to venture. Depends on what music you really into. Sean Og's and kirbys good too. Not too sure about the Mall though.
    no suprise there the town square is a disaster zone lost a lovely pub and now a bigger one avoid at all costs at night

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    An Cearnog doesn't have loud music, would be a nice bar to sit & relax in. There's an outdoor seating area too.
    was in there last week .nice coffee/cafe pity about some of the day drinkers i thought they were more suited to the town park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Sully34 wrote: »
    Well for a first timer then you cant go wrong with Linnanes,then stagger down into The Rock Inn,make your way in for a quick kebab and head for the Four Seasons then end up at the end of the night in the creme de la creme of night spots The Sportsfield bar

Jaysus, you're a glutton for punishment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭geewhizz

If I was living in boherbee the sports field would be grand for a few pints lots of impromptu sessions and a bit of Craic from some of the old stock left in town

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭eoindrummer

Sully34 wrote: »

I can only assume you're being sarcastic here. If so you did leave out a few gems. Joe's Place, Richie Houlihan's and Barrett's. But honestly, Linnane's and The Sportsfield gets a bad auld rep around the town. Sure, they mightn't be the most craic of any of the bars in town, but I've never seen an ounce of trouble in any of those pubs. Same goes for the Four Seasons but that might just be the most depressing place in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭puzzle factory

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

I know I am resurecting an old thread but heading to Tralee next weekend.
    recommendations please for good beer in quiet pubs. I am a grumpy old f*** so no disco pubs please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭gazzamc

sceach16 wrote: »
    recommendations please for good beer inqiet pubs. I am a grumpy old f*** so no disco pubs please.
    Hennesseys would have the biggest selection of beer in town. But maybe someone else can chime in if they know another place.

It has 3 different areas, the front which is usually quiet, the middle which has a bit more music and the back part which is more like a night club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

recommendations please for good beer in quiet pubs. I am a grumpy old f*** so no disco pubs please.

A little outside the town centre but Stokers lodge, across from the bus station, is exactly what you're looking for. Nice quiet little pub with good staff and friendly locals.

Myself and a few friends stopped in one night for a drink on the way home to killarney from a match and we've gone back since just for a night out. Lovely spot.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Try Paddy Macs or An Cearnog.

Advertisement