Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dingle and surrounding area

• 14-03-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Heading down to dingle on the 31st of this month for 2 nights, me and the ol' man, mainly for photography/golf/drinking/doing nothing!

Any thoughts on where is good to go for photos etc? Going to the blasket island, that other head just beside the blasket on the mainland who's name escapes me, an old oratory that has never let in a single drop of rain, dingle itself. That's about all we've thought of but its very vague. Any ideas on specific places that are good? not necessarily for photo's either, just must visits :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Well, Kerry in general is great for photos... I like the area around Cahirciveen, you can go across to Valentia Island on the ferry or drive over, there's a big hill (Geokaun) you can drive up, and the views are amazing, especially on clear days. Got this shot from on top about 6 months ago:

[IMG][/img]6D1FB6447ECC4E32BA149B9AF9D5DB13.jpg

Plus from there you can get a ferry out to the Skelligs. We didn't get to go because of weather.

You can drive the ring in a day, and you just never know what pops out at you when you round a bend. Inch strand is gorgeous for sunsets:

[IMG][/img]CDB614B18D314C9C878910204188E619-800.jpg

Enjoy! Man, I'd love to be going down to Kerry for a few days!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

They're two incredible shots! Can you get down to the lighthouse in the first one?
    The ol' man literally works 24/7, can't get him to stop, so I informed him a trip away that he had no say in :)

Thanks! That was my first trip with my DSLR, so I was pretty happy!

And yeah, far as I know you can get down to the lighthouse. We didn't because it was REALLY windy and the sea was quite choppy. Also just for laughs on the island there was the first ever transatlantic cable laid down, you can go look at the station and stuff... There's also geopod tracks, but they aren't that exciting, although the view from where they are is quite nice...

what exactly is a geopod? couldn't find anything through google...

Quite fond of the rough seas and the like, makes boating much more challenging and gives the photographs some added exhilaration! I reckon we'll try get down to the lighthouse, looks pretty good. Thanks for your help, throw anything else in if you want

Anyone else have any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Dunquin pier is a great place for a few shots

even better if there happens to be some sheep walking up it !
    like the famous postcard.:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24723443@N04/3538532053/

• Advertisement

Sorry, its not a geopod it's a tetrapod! It's a bunch of fossils in a rock that show evolutionary evidence for water animals climbing onto land, or some such...

Photo & explanation

The great thing about the ring of kerry/ ring of dingle is that pretty much everywhere is great for views & photos... my advice would be to plan to drive one of the rings one of the days. Stop whenever you want, wherever you want.
    :)

yup we plan to drive the ring, really can't wait. That pier looks pretty nice, found it on google maps as well! Can't wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Oonagh

i know this is off topic, but anyone from dingle know who this random guy is playing guitar on the street last saturday????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28JvI1MoT3g

thanks!

Oonagh wrote: »
    i know this is off topic, but anyone from dingle know who this random guy is playing guitar on the street last saturday????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28JvI1MoT3g

thanks!

P**s off and start your own thread :p
    Only joking, couldn't care less :) but you may get a few more responses in the kerry forum!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Dunquin pier is a great place for a few shots

even better if there happens to be some sheep walking up it !
    like the famous postcard.:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24723443@N04/3538532053/
    i agree with dunquin pier, a walk on inch strand, ventry strand or one of the many beautiful beaches dingle has, there is great nite life, traditional music to hip hop, the best restaurants and cafes in the world never mind the country, fantastic up to date guest houses and brilliant hotels the sceilig hotel, benners, and dingle bay hotel, all brilliant, then there are places like sea world, art galleries, bus tours around the penessula, of course there are beautiful golf courses on the penensula,you will find out some of this information on dinglenews.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Go out around Slea Head - Head towards Ventry first and stop off at Paidi O Sheas pub for a bite to eat. You can't miss it, it's practically on the Main Road.
    Slea Head itself is a great drive - take your time and take in the sights. On a clear day it's magnificent. Half way around there's a turn off for the beach/area where Ryans Daughter was filmed. (Name escapes me at the moment)
    Take a spin up the Conor Pass - It's not as impressive IMO since they upgraded the road though there's still great views if you get out and walk around a bit.
    Dingle itself is a lovely town if a little touristy. Still retains a lot of the 'Old Irish Town' character though. Take time out to visit the Aquarium there as well - it's quite good.

goat2 wrote: »
    i agree with dunquin pier, a walk on inch strand, ventry strand or one of the many beautiful beaches dingle has, there is great nite life, traditional music to hip hop, the best restaurants and cafes in the world never mind the country, fantastic up to date guest houses and brilliant hotels the sceilig hotel, benners, and dingle bay hotel, all brilliant, then there are places like sea world, art galleries, bus tours around the penessula, of course there are beautiful golf courses on the penensula,you will find out some of this information on dinglenews.com

Thanks a million for that! I'll definitely be doing same if not all of it! We're staying the the Ballyferriter hotel which looks good and has great recommendations by a guy we know who literally knows kerry backwards!

Go out around Slea Head - Head towards Ventry first and stop off at Paidi O Sheas pub for a bite to eat. You can't miss it, it's practically on the Main Road.
    Slea Head itself is a great drive - take your time and take in the sights. On a clear day it's magnificent. Half way around there's a turn off for the beach/area where Ryans Daughter was filmed. (Name escapes me at the moment)
    Take a spin up the Conor Pass - It's not as impressive IMO since they upgraded the road though there's still great views if you get out and walk around a bit.
    Dingle itself is a lovely town if a little touristy. Still retains a lot of the 'Old Irish Town' character though. Take time out to visit the Aquarium there as well - it's quite good.

Love the sound of the pub lunch! exactly what we want. Aquarium sounds like a must with both of you recommending it!

Advertisement