Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race for 1st

• 14-03-2010 10:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭

Right 8/9 games to go, time for a poll I reckons. We have one for 4th, so I figured we could do with one for 1st.

Remaining fixtures:
    [B]
    Arsenal             Chelsea              Man Utd[/B]
    West Ham (h)     Blackburn (a)        Liverpool (h)
    Birmingham (a)   Portsmouth (a)       Bolton (a)
    Wolves (h)       Villa (h)            Chelsea (h)
    Spurs (a)        Man Utd (a)          Blackburn (a)
    Wigan (a)        Bolton (h)           City (a)
    Man Citeh (h)    Spurs (a)            Spurs (h)
    Blackburn (a)    Stoke (h)            Sunderland (a)
    Fulham (h)       Liverpool (a)        Stoke (h)
                     Wigan (h)

For me, unfortunately I see United winning it again. Their defence is almost back to full strength and I can just see them putting together a run of results that will be good enough.

Chelsea's away form will cost them. Can see them getting beaten at Old Trafford.

Arsenal aren't actually playing great but are still getting results, and have the easier run in, but there are still some tricky games there. I think they'll have to be top with 5 games to go if they're going to do it.

Teh winner??? 96 votes

Arsenal
    0%
    Chelsea
    55%
    KulganbytePalefaceTöpherjankfolangimmickjesus_thats_greefbKingp35keano_afcapplehunterMr. Presentablepwdbad2daboneInquitusJPAkippythorbarryGLaDOS 53 votes
    Man Utd
    44%
    TelgereNeil3030pickarooneyKoldx in the cityHolstenJazzyxabiThe_HustlerSobyeZe^aidan24326Reganio 2FrisbeeYakultJohneram i bovveredM5Mr AlanWarper 43 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I'd bet United, but hoping for Arsenal. The way Arsenal are playing they will grind out the results, and with the luck they are having I can see them coming second.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i said it even at Christmas, it's United's for me.

Arsenal are too liable to screw up. their only chance is a fully fit Cesc firing on all cylinders, even with the easy run-in.

Chelsea's defence is too much of a liability these days. they need to get that sorted or they'll drop too many points.

United just look too solid, Rooney is on fire, and they've done this all before.

all that being said, I'd love Arsenal to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Man Utd
    Heart is crying, screaming, pleading and praying for Chelsea.

Head... I've gagged that bastard for a while!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Theres a part of me wants Arsenal to do it, just as a two fingers to the c*nts who are trying to take over football and as a victory for running your football properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Bukman13

flahavaj wrote: »
    Theres a part of me wants Arsenal to do it, just as a two fingers to the c*nts who are trying to take over football and as a victory for running your football properly.

And the other part?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

UTD for me, but if they don't then I hope Arsenal win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Man Utd
    Chelsea still for me

Cannot see them throwing this away, united will lose more points then them

FHACT

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ars have a handy run in and could well sneak past the other two. Utd will drop points as will Chelsea, I have a feeling Ars could surprise everyone as they might drop less points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

DazMarz wrote: »
    Heart is crying, screaming, pleading and praying for Chelsea.

Head... I've gagged that bastard for a while!:o

Likewise except mine is saying United.

I think it all depends on the Rooney factor. I can't recall a season where United relied so much on one man. Some will say this was the case when Ronaldo was there but I think there were others that contributed hugely. This season Ronaldo's gone, Tevez is gone, Owen is out of the picture and yet the charge carries on. The chap is crucial to United's chances.

I agree with others though if it's not to be United's I hope Arsenal win it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bukman13 wrote: »
    And the other part?

That would be the United fan in me, but in fairness to him hes been spoiled with success.:pac:

• Advertisement

Hope Arsenal do but I think united will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

As I said from the start of the season, Manchester United. Would like to see Arsenal but won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Man Utd
    Chelsea..easy..dusted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm thinking United, but I really hope Arsenal do because I support them and it would be great to be able to say to world football, "See? You can be successful without running a club into unmanagable debt."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Chelsea
    Arsenal based on the run in. I also backed them pre season so I'm pretty happy at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think and I hope it will be United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I think Arsenal....but I think that every year till Wenger says "mathematically...err......it is possible".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Man Utd
    I'm gonna stick with my pre-season prediction and say Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I support United and really hope they can do it but there is just something inside me telling me that Arsenal will do it. I really hope they don't and United can do it but I can see United losing to Liverpool and dropping points to City and Spurs and Chelsea losing to United and dropping some other points along the way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Man Utd
    Liverpool

oh....

:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pfft, who cares. 4th is the new 1st!!!!

I think Chelsea will win it.
    I hope Arsenal win it.
    I dread Utd winning it!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

CHD wrote: »
    Liverpool

oh....

:P

in that case 1.Ars 2.Utd 3. Chelsea 4. Pool

I'll be happy if Chelsea finish 'just' above us... if we get 4th that is of course!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Chelsea
    It is really too close to call for me, gone with Arsenal based on our fixtures, but really too close to call

OPENROAD wrote: »
    It is really too close to call for me, gone with Arsenal based on our fixtures, but really too close to call

How can you, as an Arsenal fan, go with Arsenal. Do you like tempting fate?? Just go for Utd, play it safe!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Chelsea
    Heart says Arsenal but head says United. They are the form team at the moment. However if Rooney gets injured they have no chance then its Chelsea's to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Chelsea
    I could see Arsenal winning every league game until the end of the season.

2 relegation candidates at home, 1 away.

Birminghams form has slipped, I think they will win there.
    Spurs away, tough one but Arsenal generally have the edge in the derby.

City at home is the most unpredictable I'd say.

Blackburn and Fulham last 2 games, both teams will be safe and winding down with nothing to play for.

Fabregas is the absolute key to everything though.

jank wrote: »
    Heart says Arsenal but head says United. They are the form team at the moment. However if Rooney gets injured they have no chance then its Chelsea's to lose.

Yeah, i have to say, i'm only choosing Chelsea right now because i've thought all season they would win it so i won't change. Rooney's absolute unbelievable form is starting to trouble me though.

Without doubt, as you say, if anything happens to Rooney, it's Chelsea's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Chelsea
    I'll put my money on Arsenal.

Imo all teams are displaying the characteristics of champions at the moment (i.e. grinding out results) but there are a few reasons that I think Arsenal have the upper hand.

The fixture list is slightly in Arsenal's favour imo. All teams have a few relegation battlers to play, so there are a tough few games to go through but looking at the list I don't see much chance of an upset.

Arsenal: West Ham (H), Wolves(H), Wigan(A)
    Chelsea: Portsmouth(A), Wigan (H), Bolton (H).
    United: Bolton (A), Sunderland (A).

Bolton and Sunderland will probably be safe by the time those matches come around, the only team I can see causing an upset tbh are Wigan but I dont think they have a good record against Arsenal and by the time they play Chelsea I think they'll be safe.

What really matters imo is the teams chasing that 4th spot, Villa, Spurs, City and 'Pool. They have all shown themselves capable of taking points off the top 4.

Arsenal have only Spurs(A) and City(H)
    Chelsea have Villa(H), Spurs(A) and Pool(A)
    United have Liverpool(H), City(A) and Spurs (H)

Not to mention Chelsea and United play each other so that guarantees 3 points are dropped. That and the Chelsea v. Pool game on the second last weekend of the season will be crucial to deciding the race imo. That will surely be a race that goes down to the wire and I think there's a good chance they'll all still be in it going into the last two games of the season.

Also, Chelsea still have the cup to worry about, while United have played more games than the others because of the league cup. On the other hand Arsenal still have Gallas and Cesc to come back and RVP is still an outside bet to make an appearance in the final few games. With all the injuries Arsenal have had all season they actually look to have the fresher squad in some respects, a few like Bendtner, Clichy and Walcott are only finding their form now.

So slightly in Arsenal's favour, but not in a huge way either. Regardless, It should be an entertaining race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Man Utd
    i reckon Arsenal will fall away at St. Andrews tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Man Utd
    kryogen wrote: »
    i reckon Arsenal will fall away at St. Andrews tbh

Lol, as if something like that could happen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If we don't do it, I hope Arsenal do. They deserve it.

If we do it, it'll be a titantic victory. Our run is in not an easy run in, and our squad has some serious injury problems. I think we can do it though, not because we'll win every match, but because I kinda expect Arsenal and Chelsea to drop more points that you'd expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

United to pretty much seal it by winning at the City of Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Man Utd
    Naturally I want Chelsea to win it, failing that id like to see Arsenal win it but a part of me also like Utd to win it and shut up all the Liverpool fans and there bloody league record, mainly because i just dont like Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Chelsea will win the league.

Although I've said that for the last three seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Chelsea
    I really do think it's too close to call, but I want Arsenal to win it so badly, more than any other season I can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Man Utd. It has that feeling about it yet again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Spurs look like they are going to decide it imho.

Cant see all 3 contenders winning against Spurs.
    The ones that dont, are not going to be the champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

inforfun wrote: »
    Spurs look like they are going to decide it imho.

Cant see all 3 contenders winning against Spurs.
    The ones that dont, are not going to be the champions.

fully expect all 3 to beat them TBO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Chelsea
    I hope Arsenal and I think Arsenal will do it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I did the predictor again cos I really don't have anything better to be doing with my time.

1. United 86
    2. Arsenal 84
    3. Chelsea 82

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Man Utd
    Predictor

Chelsea 85
    Man Utd 84
    Arsenal 83

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

If people think 85/86 points will take it, than I'm favouring Arsenal. I think with Fabregas and Song back and the run they're on at the moment, they can win 7, draw 1.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if United won every game until the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Chelsea
    Rooney to have a couple of quiet games and the other 10 not being up to battling out a win (don't think own goal will pop up anymore to save the bacon).

Had fancied Chelsea all along and thought they would do it but leaning more towards Arsenal given how well they have done with RvP, Fabregas and Gallas out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

I think it'll finish

1st United :(
    2nd Arsenal
    3rd Chelsea

I'm not jinxing anything by saying or voting who I think will win it here.

(go on the gunners!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

Man Utd
    Still think Chelsea are favorites, but any of them could easily win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Think United will do it,and as a fan I'd be happy,but I want Arsenal to win it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Chelsea
    titan18 wrote: »
    Think United will do it,and as a fan I'd be happy,but I want Arsenal to win it

You're a United fan who wants Arsenal to win the league?

ooooooooookkkkkkkkkk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

It's so close, very hard to call. As a Liverpool fan I'm disappointed we're not anywhere near the reckoning, but it's still great to have 3 teams in a title race so late. I really feel that this one will go down to the wire. All teams have a strong case for winning it:

- Arsenal have the fixture list to their advantage.

- Chelsea have the game in hand.

- United have the psychological advantage having won it the last 3 years - plus they have Rooney who looks pretty unstoppable at the minute.

I think it's so hard to call, but obviously the United vs Chelsea match will be huge. I think whoever loses will probably be out of it. If it's a draw then that's a great result for Arsenal and the whole thing will probably be up in the air again.

Also haven't seen anyone mention the significance of the Champions League. I think an easy quarter final draw could indirectly influence the outcome of the Premier League for whoever might secure it. As might a quarter final exit.

Have to say fair play to Arsenal. I'd love them to win it. I couldn't believe the amount of people writing them off after the defeats to United and Chelsea, with their end of year fixture list they always have a chance and I'd be delighted to see them do it.

Whatever happens it's going to be a really exciting end, and I really do think it's going to go right down to the final day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Man Utd
    Well I just put my predictions for the top three into the BBC league predictor and came up with:

Chelsea - 58 - 85
    Arsenal - 50 - 84
    Man Utd - 57 - 83

So even though it could go to any of the three, I'm going for Chelsea

• Advertisement
Advertisement