Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Race for 1st

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Man Utd
    spurs are gonna turn up against one of the three teams imo, just hope it isnt us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

I have a feeling the Liverpool Chelsea game may have a big say where title goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Man Utd
    flocke i missed you!

kryogen wrote: »
    flocke i missed you!
    Yes the place hasn't been the same without me. Sorry thats your line ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Target is 85 points

Points Gained
    Utd 76points/35 games 2.17ppg
    Chelsea 77points/35 games 2.2ppg
    Arsenal 2.09ppg 71 points/34 games

To reach the Target Utd and Chelsea need to win all there remaining games
    Arsenal can get a maximum of 83 points

Heart says Chelsea, head says United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I think the Liverpool Chelsea match is crucial if we beat Spurs next Sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The fact that United play Spurs on Sat whereas Chelsea play Stoke on Sunday is massive.

If United fail to beat Spurs, suddenly there's far less pressure on Chelsea to beat Stoke at home .. which means they probably will.

If United beat Spurs, then the Stoke game becomes a nightmare for Chelsea - a match they must win against a dogged team of giants who specalise in making things very difficult and keeping clean sheets.

Fair play to Spurs for yesterday but I don't think Chelsea are coping with the pressure well at all - they were nervous and poor against Bolton and the same yesterday. If United do their job by beating Spurs, I think we could well see Chelsea mess it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The fantastic thing about yesterdays result is that it wasnt a draw but a loss for Chelsea. Now they can't drop any points, so a draw in any of their next 3 matches will do. Stoke and Liverpool could do it.

Chelsea are still the favorites, without a doubt. They just have to win 3 matches to win the league. But United are back in with a shout, which isn't something I was expecting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Chelsea
    If Arsenal can put 4+past Wigan I'd have some hope.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

PHB wrote: »
    The fantastic thing about yesterdays result is that it wasnt a draw but a loss for Chelsea. Now they can't drop any points, so a draw in any of their next 3 matches will do. Stoke and Liverpool could do it.

Chelsea are still the favorites, without a doubt. They just have to win 3 matches to win the league. But United are back in with a shout, which isn't something I was expecting.

What gives me hope is the manner of their defeat. They didn't lose to an unlucky deflection in the last minute, they were well and truly played off the park and were second best in pretty much every department. If it had been 5-0 it wouldn't have been an unfair reflection of how badly they played.

It really does appear United's late winner really rattled their cages which is massively encouraging. Make no mistake about it, Chelsea are under intense pressure and its showing. Yesterday was seismic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Chelsea still have a slight advantage , but their 3 remaining games suddenly have become alot more tricky now that the 4 point cushion has disappeared.

Stoke , if Utd put the pressure on my beating Spurs the day before then an easy home game [on paper] can/could become a very nervy encounter with a very physical and well organised team.

Liverpool, This game was always going to be a key factor in the season , it was like a big ice-berg always on the horizon, Forget the title ,forget 4th spot, sounds crazy, but there has been enough history/rivalry between these two clubs in the last few seasons to insure that this game would have been a no hold barred contest anyway .With a winner very hard to predict .

Wigan The forgotten game in many ways, and at first glance a easy home win ,However Wigan could be fighting for surival on the last day and they have pulled off one or two surprise in their time.

Yes Chelsea are good enough to win all three but as a UTD fan I'm alot happier after this weekend that last.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Chelsea
    Well thats us out of it anyway. Hope Chelsea hold on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Chelsea
    keano_afc wrote: »
    Well thats us out of it anyway. Hope Chelsea hold on.

Agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Man Utd
    Chelsea's last 3 games, can easily be interpreted the other way:

-Stoke: safe in mid-table, not gunning for a spot in Europe... technically, they've "nothing" to play for and may not be just as difficult as they were in Brittania earlier in the season. They're obviously not going to lie down and take a roasting, but they won't be playing with as much venom as if they were struggling to survive or gunning for a Europa League spot.

-Liverpool: as above, nowhere near relegation danger, 8 points off 4th and again, very little to play for. As above, not going to lie down and take it, and I'd never believe all this rubbish about them not wanting United to overtake them and so on. But probably, as above, won't be as dogged and as venemous as they could have been.

-Wigan: more or less secured their safety today, and also will technically have very little to play for. Unless results go severely against them, they should be safe on the last day. Again, they won't lie down and die, but they also won't be playing their hearts out.

Very optimistic opinion, but some of it rings a little bit true. But United love this; they're so used to it. When the pressure is on, when the chips are down, when the heat is at an almost unbearable level... No better team than Manchester United to pull themselves together and mount a challenge to whip the carpet out from under whoever stands in their way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Ultimately we're just back to where we were 2 weeks ago. It makes the Birmingham result so much more bloody annoying.

As for Liverpool, if they lose another game, they are pretty close to Everton. As such, it's entirely possible they'll need something from Chelsea. Beyond that, if Chelsea trounce Liverpool, Rafas job would come under serious serious scrutiny. The players are also going to be playing potentially for a spot in the UEFA cup final. I do worry however that Everton will **** up, Liverpool will qualify for the UEFA cup final, and Rafa will put out a weakened team against Chelsea (which is frankly what I would do). If that happens, there will be hell to pay in the press I'd say. Nonetheless, I'm hopful professional pride and a desire to get a place in the UEFA cup spot and the World cup squads will see them play their hearts out and draw :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Man Utd
    will be funny to see the medias reaction if rafa fields a weakened team. they're licking their lips at the prospect already i'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Man Utd
    This is still Chelsea's to lose. They should win their 2 home games comfortably enough which effectively leaves Man Utd needing to win their 3 remaining games. Spurs are playing well but seem to always bottle it against Utd and then Utd go to Sunderland which is pretty tricky. Liverpool will be probably be without Torres for the visit of Chelsea and will also be just after playing Atletico Madrid on the Thursday night so they mightn't be 100%. If their away trip to Madrid is postponed until next week that will help Chelsea too.

Warper wrote: »
    This is still Chelsea's to lose. They should win their 2 home games comfortably enough which effectively leaves Man Utd needing to win their 3 remaining games. Spurs are playing well but seem to always bottle it against Utd and then Utd go to Sunderland which is pretty tricky. Liverpool will be probably be without Torres for the visit of Chelsea and will also be just after playing Atletico Madrid on the Thursday night so they mightn't be 100%. If their away trip to Madrid is postponed until next week that will help Chelsea too.

Torres will be missing. He's out for the season, confirmed this evening.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8628770.stm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Torres will be missing. He's out for the season, confirmed this evening.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8628770.stm

That's the Europa League gone for Liverpool, imo. They could well have something to play for against Chelsea if they don't get past Atletico.

baz2009 wrote: »
    That's the Europa League gone for Liverpool, imo. They could well have something to play for against Chelsea if they don't get past Atletico.
    Who knows. Ngog and Kuyt might just rediscover their form in front of goal. Not the end of the world if we dont win EL. Getting Torres right far more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Man Utd
    I really dont know what to make of the remaining fixtures, we've been our own worst enemy this season so none of the games should be considered to be bankers or anything like it.
    If Spurs take points off United next week then that will surely be that, I can't see us not beating Stoke with the pressure off (relatively speaking), but if United take a 2 point lead before we play then it could be the same old story for us, folding under pressure and fluffing our lines when the spotlight is on us.
    The Liverpool game could really go any way, I suppose we just have to hope they're more focused on Europe than their league position, no Torres is a boost too.
    We've made hard work of a season that should have been over weeks ago so nothing can be taken for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Who knows. Ngog and Kuyt might just rediscover his scoring touch. Not the end of the world if we dont win EL. Getting Torres right far more important.

I agree I'm happy to see Torres have his surgery now. This season has been a disaster and we might as well write it off now. A Europa league win isn't going to be much of a consolation. Lets get him right for next season where we can start again

Advertisement