Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training again

Options
  • 14-03-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi all, we have managed to train our 6 month king charles with sucess or so i though. she would go days without having an accident and long without doing a poo. Any the problem is she doessnt let us know when she has to go, she goes to the bk door and if you dont see her straight away she will wonder off and do it somewhere in the house. I took up the mat from the door as she would just squat there. Today has been the most accidents in a long time 2 poos and 3 wees. Can you teach a dog to bark to let you know. She never barks at all, you get a growl when playing and very realy one bark but thats it. She doesnt scrape at the door either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

you could rig up a door bell where he can push it and teach him that every time the door bell rings he gets to go out

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭P.A.C

hi crotalus667 thanks for the reply. Have you used the bell?

After doing loads of reaserch i was actualy thinking about the bell.

Has anyone here used the bell for toilet training, any feedback would be great.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

P.A.C wrote: »
    hi crotalus667 thanks for the reply. Have you used the bell?

After doing loads of reaserch i was actualy thinking about the bell.

Has anyone here used the bell for toilet training, any feedback would be great.

Thanks
    I haven’t used it myself but I do recall seeing a product a few years back that had an easy push button for the inside and out side hooked up to a door bell , but I am sure you could train hem to just paw a standard bell next to the door ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

I know someone who used windchimes, they hung them on the door handle and the dog would move them when he wanted to go out!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Maybe u should bring your dog more often for a WALK! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

P.A.C wrote: »
    Hi all, we have managed to train our 6 month king charles with sucess or so i though. she would go days without having an accident and long without doing a poo. Any the problem is she doessnt let us know when she has to go, she goes to the bk door and if you dont see her straight away she will wonder off and do it somewhere in the house. I took up the mat from the door as she would just squat there. Today has been the most accidents in a long time 2 poos and 3 wees. Can you teach a dog to bark to let you know. She never barks at all, you get a growl when playing and very realy one bark but thats it. She doesnt scrape at the door either.
    Aim to let your dog out of the house at least every two hours and then you'll quickly get accustomed to her habits.

She's still a puppy so will still occassionally have mishaps because she doesn't have the same control over her bladder that an older dog does. If you're not in a position to supervise the dog in the house (e.g. you're having a shower), then confine her to her sleeping area - kitchen or wherever - and she's unlikely to go to the toilet there.

But aim to keep a toilet routine and take her out for a walk twice a day. Even if it's only 15 minutes, then it's 15 minutes that you're not spending cleaning up a wet patch.

When you are cleaning up wet patches, don't use bleaches or ammonia-based cleaners. The dog will think that someone else has peed in the same spot and will think that it's now OK to go there.

Allgäuerin i asume your joking!! Cause if not why would you assume that she wouldnt be walked!!! Or would need more walks. Not all dogs especially pups do their bussiness on walks.

Thanks for all the replys she is taken out back regularly and has been realy good but for some reason we have sort of taken a few steps backwards and i supose i was becoming to relaxed because she had went a while without having accidents.

I will just have to go back to basics i supose and get some sort of bell or something that makes noise ( shouldnt be hard to find in this house with 4 boys) lol everything they have makes noise. Thanks again, if anyone has other advice please feel free to pass it on.

Oh and re cleaning up i read that bio washing power should be used as it has enzymes. I had to reaserch that because when we first trained her i was using all the wrong stuff but the powder realy works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

You need to bring your dog of walks more . You cant tell us that your dog will go out for nice walks and hold its poo in till it gets home . Why do you think theres Dog poo on every street in the Country .

When you bring your dog out for walks and it poo's then praize it and give it a treat . Pooing outside = treat , Pooing inside = No treat .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

You need to bring your dog of walks more . You cant tell us that your dog will go out for nice walks and hold its poo in till it gets home . Why do you think theres Dog poo on every street in the Country .

When you bring your dog out for walks and it poo's the praize it and give it a treat . Pooing outside = treat , Pooing inside = No treat .

i got four dogs i walk every morning and evening - big dogs - and three of them will not poop while out walking, they do as soon as they get in after the evening walk, and either before i take them in the morning or when we get back - some dogs don't wan to poop out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

PaulB91 wrote: »
    i got four dogs i walk every morning and evening - big dogs - and three of them will not poop while out walking, they do as soon as they get in after the evening walk, and either before i take them in the morning or when we get back - some dogs don't wan to poop out

Are they too Shy:D

• Advertisement

Thanks for that paul. I know of 2 adult dogs who dont poo when on a walk. Also my brother has a 4 month old kc and she is the same, she will wait till she gets home and straight onto the paper.
    I am not a lier. What is it with some people.:(
    Anyway whats walks got to do with HOUSE TRAINING. I didnt ask about dog walks i asked for advice because my dog doesnt let me know when she needs to be let out.
    Anyway thanks to the posters who gave me good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭/V\etalfish

We have a cavalier king charles also and she's around the same age as yours (a couple of weeks younger, I'd imagine).
    From a very early age we had her weeing on the mats in the house but could never seem to get her to poo on the mats, or outside.
    The a few weeks ago, due to her pooing on walks and the like and us giving her treats for it, she seemed to take to pooing outside.
    We've had very little accidents in the house since.

She still doesn't let us know she wants out but we can usually tell if she gets a little agitated/hyper or if she sniffs around in the usual spots.

If the bell seems to work, let us know anyway; that sounds like a good way to train her if you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

I also have a puppy who does not go to the toilet when out on walks...even pee. She is a 5 month old golden retriever. When she gets home from a walk she goes through the house and into the back garden where she will then do her business!!!

Thanks for the replys, She doesnt have a problem doing poo out back yard or weeing for that matter. Its the catching her at the door lol.
    Defo going down the bell route. Iv had a look in a couple of places today for bells with no luck so il scout around over the wkend.
    Funny enough since i posted this iv been observing her and what i realised is, she doest seem to realy have a problem when i looking after her ( well mostly)
    It seems to be when oh is doing the caring!!!! oh not as vigilent.
    Only one misshap today and that was when oh came home and i was doing bits around the house.
    I also started today giving her half a treat each time i "caught" her waiting at the door and then her usual when she comes in. Because of the treats if she goes, she comes in and sits down in front of you looking up at her treats you know she went but, if she doesnt go she just comes and potters off.
    Thanks again for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Hey P.A.C!
    If its any consolation my dog does the same thing, he'll wait at the door to be let out when he needs to go, and won't come looking for me or bark to be let out or anything like that. He used to do his business at the door if you didn't get to him on time (and like you this was usually when my OH was looking after him!). He's 9 months old now and his bladder control is a lot better so he just waits to be let out and knows he's not allowed to do his business in the house. I have his lead by the door and sometimes he'll tap the lead with his nose to indicate he wants to be let out. Sometimes he cries wolf and just wants to get outside so he can play!

I bring him for walks everyday and let him outside for a pee all the time, but sometimes I can get preoccupied and accidents happen, that's life, it doesn't mean you don't walk your dog or that you're a bad pet owner.

Ah thanks meerkat what a nice reply. LOL about doing business at the door.
    She used to do it on the mat, she would just go and squat on the mat lol so the mats gone, so now she just wonders back into the kichen or hall.
    But have to say she great and does know she should go ouside but doesnt know how to communicate it. so defo gets chimes or bells iv done all the reserch so know what to do, so fingers x. Thanks again.

Advertisement