Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are Aldi and Lidl?

Options
  • 14-03-2010 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello,
    Im doing a final year project on Aldi, ive found customer perception of Aldi to be confused between it and Lidl.
    Im wondering if people can tell the difference between them....

Its cool if you never shop there, im just interested to be aware of the general public's ideas about who they are, thanks guys!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Hello,
    ive found customer perception of Aldi to be confused between it and Lidl.
    Both Lidl and Aldi are 4-letter words. Both have I, D and L. Both are supermarkets, and both are cheap and German. No difference to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Yeah, course you can tell the difference! :D

Aldi seem to have a bit of higher quality products, compared to Lidl anyway. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Rashide1513

Ya youd be right, aldi try to offer high quality at low price.
    whereas lidl are just low prices low quality....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭LauraOrlagh

I think Aldi supply more Irish products than Lidl do so I'd prefer to be going to Aldi than Lidl.. having said that I don't generally shop in either I'm more of a buy Irish fan, but following that logic I'd prefer Aldi over Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Whatever about their weekly offers (junk product which oftens ends up unopened or unused in garden sheds), both groups are very wealthy and large private retail concerns.

Customer service is virtually non-existent and often staff tend to treat customers like schmucks. Rarely go near these places as they are all too often bleak, unwelcoming discount stores with limited product lines.

If I have any questions, its nice to know and useful being able to communicate with floor staff. If I'm spending money, I prefer to enjoy the shopping experience and buy more Irish products than being miserable just to save a few cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    Both Lidl and Aldi are 4-letter words. Both have I, D and L. Both are supermarkets, and both are cheap and German. No difference to me.

I do get confused between the two; in town there about 500 mts apart. Do they have the same colours in their logo - blue/yellow? Whatever it is the wife keeps correcting me when I say I've been to Aldi when in fact I've in fact been to Lidl...or the other way around. Am I dyslexic? Did I spell dyslexic correctly? Is it true that they are brother - Stifftung? How did I remember that:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭jasonb

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lidl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

I know it's Wiki, so can't always be trusted, but it's interesting to read the origins of the two companys ( and no, it's nothing to do with brothers who don't talk to each other anymore ).

The Lidl page as a link to a website collecting stories from former employees, very scary stuff!

http://franklludwig.com/lidl.html

I really wouldn't shop in any of them unless I had no choice. Yes, they're cheaper, but the way they both treat staff doesn't sit well with me...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

They are pretty similar but from a Market Positioning perspective I would say that Aldi has a slightly higher standing in terms of the quality of its products.

Must say I've had no issue with Customer Service in either store. The staff in both have always been very eager to help with any queries I may have had.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭asomeday

never had a customer service problem with either.

i do agree that the weekly offers generally end up in the back of the press/shed.

it seems that aldi is slightly higher quality & stocks more irish products

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Whatever about their weekly offers (junk product which oftens ends up unopened or unused in garden sheds), both groups are very wealthy and large private retail concerns.

Customer service is virtually non-existent and often staff tend to treat customers like schmucks. Rarely go near these places as they are all too often bleak, unwelcoming discount stores with limited product lines.

If I have any questions, its nice to know and useful being able to communicate with floor staff. If I'm spending money, I prefer to enjoy the shopping experience and buy more Irish products than being miserable just to save a few cent.

Must disagree with most of your post except for the 'specials' that end up gathering dust.

I've dealt in both stores since they opened here and have always found their floor stafff helpful when asked any question, they both have a 'no quibble' money back guarantee which, unlike most of the better established stores here, they actually put into practice - Ireturned a light fitting to Aldi, was given cash back, they didn't even ask me if I wanted a replacement which I purchased with the money, I returned a radio to Lidl and was treated the same.

Both stock a wide variety of Irish products, IMO Aldi more so but could be mistaken.

Both styles of shop remind me of how the old, private supermarket stores used to be, lost to the modern multis, I like this although I try to get the shopping done as fast as possible as I can think of many better ways to enjoy myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭mlumley

Customer service is virtually non-existent and often staff tend to treat customers like schmucks.

I have purchased goods in Lidl and had a problem with it. On trying to return it to Irish suplier, have been asked for recipt. When I said I dont have the recipt, was told to contact Lidl head office for a letter of confirmation of purchace. This I did, and to my surprise, recived one with in three days. Sent said off with the broken goods and got a replacement in a couple of days. So from personal experience, I cant fault the customer service. :D:D:D:D

Advertisement