Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AM2 CPU in a AM3 motherboard

Options
  • 14-03-2010 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

Evening all,

I need to replace a motherboard that is running an AM2 CPU.
    I have read that AM3 socket boards are backwards compatible.
    On Komplett some motherboards are described as AM3 while others are described as AM3/AM2+ compatible.
    This makes it seem like not all AM3 boards will accept an AM2 CPU.
    Is this the case?

I thought I may aswell replace the the motherboard with an AM3 socket board as the prce difference is little or nothing.

Thanks,

Wavey.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You can use an AM2 or an AM2+ motherboard with your AM2 processor but not an AM3 motherboard.

AM3 motherboards require a processor with an integrated DDR3 controller which only AM3 processors have, so even AM2+ chips cannot work on these boards.

Short wiki description of AM2+ here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socket_AM2%2B

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Wavey

Thanks Marco,

I'm glad I asked the question now.

Would this board work with my AM2 (not plus) CPU?

Thanks,

Wavey

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Wavey wrote: »
    Thanks Marco,

I'm glad I asked the question now.

Would this board work with my AM2 (not plus) CPU?

Thanks,

Wavey

It should, I have no idea why AM3 is mentioned in the description as it is purely an AM2+ board. (Obviously an AM3 chip will work with it, but that does not make it an AM3 board :p)

Just make sure that your CPU is on this list, I expect it will be. (Lots of scrolling required for the AM2 CPU list)

Advertisement