Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tattoo cream

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

hey guys,
    i just got a tattoo earlier today. i dont have that offical tattoo cream (name escapes me, starts with a b). what should i do right now? ( may will sound stupid) does vasilene or sudocrem work effectively on preserving it?
    basically, would like some step by step tips on what to do right now with my new tattoo.
    any advice appreciated,
    darryl.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

the b cream is bepanthen. ive used savlon with no probs. i think vaseline is a no no

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭alanatoday

hey! I think the name of the cream could be Bepanthan. Its a cream for nappy rash!:D
    I'm not sure what other creams would work but I'm presuming the more moisturising it is, the better. E45 might be good also.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

ok thanks for that. so im left with either put on sudocrem or nothing at all.
    should probably pick up some up tomorrow. anything else i should do?

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Satyr_The_Great

Stick with what ever creasm the artist told you to use. Sudocreme and others can be too heavilly medicated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

i'd leave sudocream out of it altogether.

have a warmish shower, remove the cling film gently. was the area with an antibacterial soap. get out of shower. dry yourself but get a small clean towel and pat-dry it. if you don't have bepanthen then i'd just leave it for tonight until you do have something, or maybe E45, not sure tbh.

did the tattoo artist not run through after care with you?

• Advertisement

ddef wrote: »
    ok thanks for that. so im left with either put on sudocrem or nothing at all.
    should probably pick up some up tomorrow. anything else i should do?

Did the artist not tell you all this??
    When I got mine I was told to wash it with very warm water in the shower with soapy water and then apply the cream. I would suggest getting the cream because the tattoo will keep better (colour especially) if you treat it properly in the beginning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

If you have E45 cream that will be okay

No offence but you really should have the cream. You should get it before you get the tattoo or if you didn't know beforehand you should have gotten it straight away afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭ddef

he did go through it yes, but it was mainly about the bepanthen applying, which i dont have. he said keep cling film on for 2-3 days, constantly changing it, wash the tattoo with soap, clean it off, add bepanthen and re-wrap it in cling film. so should i just leave it and hit the hay tonight or should i put on some e45 and new cling film or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

ddef wrote: »
    he did go through it yes, but it was mainly about the bepanthen applying, which i dont have. he said keep cling film on for 2-3 days, constantly changing it, wash the tattoo with soap, clean it off, add bepanthen and re-wrap it in cling film. so should i just leave it and hit the hay tonight or should i put on some e45 and new cling film or what?

The amount of cream you use will affect how scabby the tat goes and in turn how much colour you will lose (my understanding anyway) You should put the E45 on now and as often as you can.

As far as I know you can never put on too much

peanuthead wrote: »
    The amount of cream you use will affect how scabby the tat goes and in turn how much colour you will lose (my understanding anyway) You should put the E45 on now and as often as you can.

As far as I know you can never put on too much

I think you're right about the cream and scabs:D. My tattoo didnt scab over because I was very liberal with the cream. If you know someone with a newborn baby (for the bepanthan!) perhaps a late night call is on the cards!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

the first tattoo I got i used no cling film and it was fine. it might stick to the sheets tho. i think the idea of the cling film is to prevent the scab formation. i cant see that e45 is so different to savlon its just not antibacterial. i think vaseline is a no, it damages the tattoo or someting. Id say the zinc content in the sudo creme could affect it. the e45 is a fairly plain cream sounds like a better option than the sudocreme. its up to yourself really, dont worry about it too much. just get the stuff tomorrow:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

can't having too much lotion make the tattoo go "mushy"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

lil'bug wrote: »
    can't having too much lotion make the tattoo go "mushy"?

yeah, you're right, they generally say a thin layer 3 times daily I think. Too much cream and the tat can't breathe as well.

Whatever your tattooist told ya, just keep to that! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I tended to use it a little more than that, I think it's generally best to reapply a little cream when the tattoo starts to feel dry again.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

I tended to use it a little more than that, I think it's generally best to reapply a little cream when the tattoo starts to feel dry again.
    +1 Little and often. My tattooist advises 6-8 times a day for 2 weeks even if you dont think its needed.Ive never had scabbing,drying up,itching or anything like that on heeding his advice.Also, it stands to the tatt in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

Bepanthen is the best cream- the tattoo artist will give u a small tube when u get Ur tattoo done. you can get it in any chemists :)

I also used a very plain unfragrenced protecting antibacterial hand wash soap - Cussons carex original to clean the tattoo area, Brilliant stuff then applied the Bepanthen cream as needed just keep your tattoo moist and don't let it go super dry. had the cling film on for the 1st three days also.

your tattoo artist will always give you the best advice though, if not go to multiple sources and find the best most common remedy.

best of luck :D

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭SmokeyJo84

i used vaseline on my tattoo and had no probs whatsoever- got it done in argentina and couldnt find the cream the tattoo artist recommended nor did i have the spanish to ask! it didnt scab and the ink is perfectly fine, although it was hella itchy for the first couple of days!

Advertisement