Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham out of world cup

• 15-03-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Beckham is out after injuring himself for AC Milan, Achilles Tendon torn and left the san siro on crutches. SSN now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Sky Italia reporting that Beckham has ruptured Achilles' tendon... out for 3 months... no WC... exited pitch crying..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Let's thicken it out a little shall we?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11854_6027576,00.html
    England midfielder David Beckham has torn his Achilles tendon, according to AC Milan manager Leonardo, and his hopes of playing at the World Cup would appear to be over.

The on-loan 34-year-old hobbled out of the late stages of Milan's victory over Chievo on Sunday night after pulling up when unchallenged.

Beckham signalled to the bench that he needed to come off, despite Leonardo having used all of his substitutes, and the Milan manager has now said that the veteran has torn his Achilles tendon.
    "David's injury gives us pain", Leonardo told Sky Italia. "It's an important injury. He immediately said it (the tendon) was broken. He immediately understood it was an important problem."

A Sky Italia television reporter on the San Siro touchline said Beckham had told the bench, "It's broken, it's broken" as he was stretchered off with his head in his hands.

Beckham had joined Milan on loan from Los Angeles Galaxy in order to boost his chances of impressing England boss Fabio Capello ahead of this summer's World Cup, which kicks off in June.

Extraordinary

The former Manchester United and Real Madrid star had already confessed earlier in the weekend that he did not believe he was guaranteed a place at the finals in South Africa.

"He is an extraordinary guy and today's game proves it yet again," Leonardo added. "I cannot enjoy this evening considering this serious injury."

Capello is understood to have spoken with Beckham on Sunday night to commiserate over the injury, while England assistant Franco Baldini has also been in contact and Milan's players are in shock.

"Beckham is not well," said midfielder Ignazio Abate. "To see him suffer like that has really touched us."

Clarence Seedorf found it hard to celebrate his match-winning strike against Chievo.

"It's always ugly to be out because of an injury," said the Dutchman. "But it will mean that we will all need to give everything we have even for those who will not be with us.

"They deserve that for what they have done so far this season."

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

:(:(:( I knew it was only a matter of minutes before this thread was started. To repeat what i said in the Milan thread...

The fact that he is injured makes no difference whatsoever to England's chances.

The bad thing about this is that we are gonna have to put up with some amount of media bullsh!t over the next couple of months.

"Beck's could still make World Cup" Exclusive
    "Beck's ruled out" Exclusive
    "The End of the World for Becks" Exclusive
    "Hope for Beck's" Exclusive

And so on and so forth.

A mediocre squad player is gonna cause a media sh!tstorm from now until June!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

ESPN are saying he could be out for up to nine months and that he's already spoken to Capello about it.
    David Beckham's England career could be over as he looks certain to miss the World Cup after tearing his Achilles tendon during AC Milan's 1-0 victory over Chievo.

Milan coach Leonardo said after the game: "Beckham's injury makes us feel terrible. He is an extraordinary guy and today's game proves it yet again.

"David understood immediately that he had torn his Achilles tendon. When the tendon breaks, everything comes away and the muscle starts to rise. I felt great pity for him. This injury has been a heavy blow for him and for us. Unfortunately the party is ruined."

Beckham sustained the injury without coming into contact with anyone else, limping to the sidelines for treatment in the dying moments of the game.

The England midfielder is expected to be ruled out for up to nine months and he has already spoken to Fabio Capello and his assistant, Franco Baldini, over the news that he will miss out on the chance to play in his fourth World Cup.

AC Milan midfielder Ignazio Abate added: "Beckham is not well. To see him suffer like that has really touched us."

Clarence Seedorf found it hard to celebrate his match-winning goal knowing that Beckham could have a long injury lay-off.

"It's always ugly to be out because of an injury," he said, "but it will mean that we will all need to give everything we have even for those who will not be with us.

"They deserve that for what they have done so far this season."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-cup/story/_/id/755991/ce/uk/?campaign=rss&source=soccernet&cc=5739&ver=global

Very harsh on the guy. I reckon he would have made it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Gutted for him tbh.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Poor guy :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

That really is tough luck for him.

mars bar wrote: »

You'd swear reading that report that people have died!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Whatever about his limited ability on the pitch I'm sure he'll be missed behind the scene's. Have to feel sorry for the guy tbh, always proud to play for his country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He'll probably retire now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

makes no difference to Englands world cup chances tbh

Lennon not making great progress is much more worrying news

edit- would be harsh of me to not say tough luck i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Feel really sorry for him, for your international career to finish in such a manner is heartbreaking. Hard to see him try get into the Euro 2012 set-up so i'm sure his England days are gone now.

Wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy, as a football supporter i was looking forward to seen him in the world cup, i still feel he had a lot to offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

kryogen wrote: »

Lennon not making great progress is much more worrying news

I think it does.

Beckham showed vs United in both games that his delivery from wide is still second to none, and milan really should have had a few goals from his crosses.

I wouldn't have had him as a starter - but if chasing a goal and piling the big men up front, there is no better english player to be trying to cross teh ball in to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

No one can replace the experience the guy brings to a squad. Always gonna get you a goal or 2 from the dead ball or pin point deliveries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I don't think anybody thought he was definitely going to get a spot in the first X! but I do think most people were hoping he would be there in some bit part fashion. You could tell he was doing his best to try and get a spot in the squad and now it is finished in a heart breaking manner. Definitely the end of his international career now, whatever about his club career.

Ah, feel so bad for the guy. :(

No one can replace the experience the guy brings to a squad. Always gonna get you a goal or 2 from the dead ball or pin point deliveries.

not always no

and look, if Englands WC hopes depended on a 34 year old Beckham they may aswel not bother going

im sorry it doesnt sit well with people but its my opinion

he hasnt won them the WC the other 3 times he has been there has he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Becks has been great for us. Be a sad day when he retires. Fantastic pro and wanted him to get one more WC with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

It's sad that he won't get the Roy Of The Rovers ending but he'll be watching the World Cup on his big boat getting blown by a Spice Girl...or a Girls aloud or a PR girl........he'll live.

Leaves that Veteran spot open for big Sol Campbell.....unless Beckham has a young cabin boy called Roger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

If its possible to feel sorry for someone whos got everything possible, I do feel sorry for him.

Not many players left who do whatever they can just to play international ball.

not always no

and look, if Englands WC hopes depended on a 34 year old Beckham they may aswel not bother going

They don't rest entirely on his shoulders, but to say that they won't miss him at all is equally stupid. He is still the best crosser of the ball in football, or up there, as shown vs United and that will always be a potent weapon and he would have been a very usefull squad member to have in SA.

So your argument is that England's squad should need not include Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Rio, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Carrick, Barry, James etc - none of them have won england the world cup either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Feel sorry for him but dont think they will miss him much

not always no

I agree with you here completely.

Look, Beckham seems a decent bloke and i never wish injuries on any player. I hate to see this happen to Beckham or anyone else.

But this is more a celebrity story than a football one and the red rags in Britain are rubbing their hands in absolute glee at the mileage they will get out of this.

As i say, i hate to see this happen to any player, it's horrible. He would definitely, imo, have been included in that squad, but he would have been brought on for the last few minutes of games, won more caps and whatever.

In terms of actual football, England's chances are not hampered whatsover. Be thankful it's Beckham and not Rooney, from an Englisg point of view!!!

They don't rest entirely on his shoulders, but to say that they won't miss him at all is equally stupid. He is still the best crosser of the ball in football, or up there, as shown vs United and that will always be a potent weapon and he would have been a very usefull squad member to have in SA.

So your argument is that England's squad should need not include Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Terry, Rio, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Carrick, Barry, James etc - none of them have won england the world cup either.

nope, didnt say anything of the sort Mitch

said if it rests on Becks shoulders they may as well go on holiday instead

dont twist what i say thanks, by all means people can feel sorry for him on a personal level, but sentiment aside, he really isnt that big a loss

he would have been a nice possibility to have if available, but IMO its not a big deal that he wont be there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The beeb will be falling over themselves to get him on pundit duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

of all the players in line to go to the World Cup, nobody would have taken more pride than Beckham in going.

nobody.

i genuinely feel for the guy.

nope, didnt say anything of the sort Mitch

said if it rests on Becks shoulders they may as well go on holiday instead

dont twist what i say thanks, by all means people can feel sorry for him on a personal level, but sentiment aside, he really isnt that big a loss

he would have been a nice possibility to have if available, but IMO its not a big deal that he wont be there

You said he is no loss, and as proof of that you stated he didn't win them 3 other WC's. Neither have Gerrard, Rooney et al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,932 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think he is quite a loss for England. No other winger has really played consistently well in an English shirt. While Beckham definately wasnt going to be a starter at the World cup. He was a fantastic sub to bring on to chase a game. Who else would you want to be taking a free kick in the dying minutes of the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Don't really go in for this "great influence on the squad" thing. Don't list him in the squad and just bring him to "have around" for his "experience" then. Damn, lot of quote marks there.

You said he is no loss, and as proof of that you stated he didn't win them 3 other WC's. Neither have Gerrard, Rooney et al.

ah jesus i cant be dealing with this ****e from two people tonight

look, i said imo he is no loss IMO HE IS NO LOSS from a footballing POV

you or anybody else not agreeing with me is ok, i dont have a problem with it and i cannot for the life of me understand why someone having a different opinion to the masses is such a crime

and again i ask you not to twist my words

i did not use the previous WC's as proof.

my comment regarding him not having won WC's the last 3 times he has been was not meant in the way you have taken it

If you think he would have been an integral part of the WC team then fair play to you

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Really gutted for the guy. As far as I'm concerned he was guaranteed a place in the team for the World Cup and now his career is more than likely over.

Really gutted for the guy. As far as I'm concerned he was guaranteed a place in the team for the World Cup and now his career is more than likely over.

The team? Or the squad??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

wonder how much comphensation la galaxy will get out of this

monkey9 wrote: »
    The team? Or the squad??
    Does it matter?

Helix wrote: »
    wonder how much comphensation la galaxy will get out of this

would they be entitled to compo?

would they be entitled to compo?

if they didnt have that in the loan terms then theyre very very silly

• Advertisement

Does it matter?

it does actually

it does actually
    *sigh*

I'm not going to argue over semantics ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

x 1 million

never really gave it much thought

but yeah i guess, since they are giving someone on loan, i guess they probably would have a, you break it you bought it clause in the deal :)

Does it matter?

Well yeah. I mean, there's a major difference there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Disappointing to see, he would have been a handy squad player to have in SA for his experience alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

To those who say he wouldn't have made a difference: well not on the pitch obviously, but he's an old experienced head in footballing terms and everyone in the squad seems to genuinely like him. And there is no one in the world as experienced as he is at dealing with the redtops. He could be a psychological boost to have in the squad in the same way Sol's arrival at Arsenal seemed to coincide with the team being better able to grind out results (emphasis on could, I obviously can't say for certain).

As much as I dislike the guy, you can only feel sorry for him, it's a horrid injury to happen anybody. WC aside this could probably be the end of his career, hope his recovery goes well.

*sigh*

I'm not going to argue over semantics ffs.

ill take it you meant squad then ;)

like a reasonable person :D

To those who say he wouldn't have made a difference: well not on the pitch obviously, but he's an old experienced head in footballing terms and everyone in the squad seems to genuinely like him. And there is no one in the world as experienced as he is at dealing with the redtops. He could be a psychological boost to have in the squad in the same way Sol's arrival at Arsenal seemed to coincide with the team being better able to grind out results (emphasis on could, I obviously can't say for certain).

As much as I dislike the guy, you can only feel sorry for him, it's a horrid injury to happen anybody. WC aside this could probably be the end of his career, hope his recovery goes well.

there is nothing stopping him going anyway to support the team and be on hand to offer advice and the like

he can be around the squad even though he is not in it

edit- what a waste of my 5,000th post

there is nothing stopping him going anyway to support the team and be on hand to offer advice and the like

dunno if thatd be a good move from capello, but obviously it depends on how highly beckham is regarded in the dressing room, something nobody on here knows

edit- what a waste of my 5,000th post

you could delete it and go back to 4999!

dunno if thatd be a good move from capello, but obviously it depends on how highly beckham is regarded in the dressing room, something nobody on here knows

agree 100%, just responding to whoever said he would be good to have around the squad cause of the off field stuff, pointing out that he can actually still do that

you could delete it and go back to 4999!

na its ruined now :) like my virginity, gone and i cant get it back :)

I hear what you're saying. But that squad has experienced players and the most experienced of all the people in that group, Capello, will lessen the impact of the losss of Beckham's influence.

The media will make a HUGE deal out of this. They will thrive on it. And have no worries, Beckham will be cashing in on this, big time! But for me, England have a great chance of winning this tournament, and Beckham's injury is a sideshow.

The way i feel about it, if England wanna win this, forget aboout Beckham. They lost Jimmy Greaves in 66 and yet benefited from Geoff Hurst coming in!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    But for me, England have a great chance of winning this tournament

jesus i dunno about that. theyre sorely lacking in any form players aside from milner and rooney

• Advertisement
Advertisement