Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beckham out of world cup

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

if you believe Beckham was as important as Keane and Scholes to united then thats your issue

I didn't hear comments to that effect, but he was probably just being diplomatic - he still wore the scarf while applauding the crowd. That's enough for me anyway.

where have you been if you havent heard his post match interview? his comments in the papers? he said it was nothing to do with the campaign

a fan threw him the scarf, he had to wear it, he would have looked bad otherwise

did you expect him to give the crowd a middle finger salute?

:confused:

he got the ovation he deserved, he got the farewell he deserved

he was a good player for us, and he always speaks with respect about the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

This is a huge disaster of unimaginable proportions for the tabloid press and whoever else buys into brand Beckham. In football land however this means that there is an opportunity for players who are actually still playing top level football (beyond silly loan deals) and could do more then strike a ball and take their tops off to get a place in the England squad.

In particular this is great news for Milner and Ash Young, with Walcott out of sorts, Lennon crocked and SWP being, well SWP, Becks(TM) injury clears the way for either of the two Villa boys to claim a starting berth for Englands WC campaign after a hopefully scintillating PL end of season run in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

kryogen wrote: »
    where have you been if you havent heard his post match interview? his comments in the papers? he said it was nothing to do with the campaign

a fan threw him the scarf, he had to wear it, he would have looked bad otherwise

he got the ovation he deserved, he got the farewell he deserved

he was a good player for us, and he always speaks with respect about the club

AND HE'S INCREDIBLY HOT

:p

same as i said to flah

both big and clever

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

An over rated Englishman, never....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

becks will be lucky to be jogging in 3 months.. Yak snapped his tendon and is just returning back recently, and that was at spurs last season he did it.

unlucky, but maybe it wasnt meant to be for poor backs, apart from his set pieces he is not much use to England at this level, against weaker teams he would be a good asset with his wise head but when it comes to le crunch he would be sweeped aside in games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This is a huge disaster of unimaginable proportions for the tabloid press and whoever else buys into brand Beckham. In football land however this means that there is an opportunity for players who are actually still playing top level football (beyond silly loan deals) and could do more then strike a ball and take their tops off to get a place in the England squad.

In particular this is great news for Milner and Ash Young, with Walcott out of sorts, Lennon crocked and SWP being, well SWP, Becks(TM) injury clears the way for either of the two Villa boys to claim a starting berth for Englands WC campaign after a hopefully scintillating PL end of season run in.
    A very true and fair statement as to what the injury means for England.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

kippy wrote: »
    whose only "skill" has been the ability to cross a ball from a dead ball or moving with some degree of accuracy.
    It really is a damning indictment of the lack of professional players out there who can hit a dead ball consistently or manage to beat the first man with a cross.
    Can you name another player from his era who could cross the ball as consistently well as Beckham? And if you can't, does that mean then that Figo, Ronaldihno, Giggs etc, etc. all stand damningly indicted?
    no, he simply wasnt as important

just no
    He dominated the assist charts at United during that time so that would lend weight to the argument that he was, in fact, important. That midfield had the perfect balance, each player excelled at what they did, and they won all before them as a team. It's very unfair to say that Beckham wasn't as important as the others. The fact is, nobody else in the world could have done what he did, as well as he did for us in that team.

People over react to the media bollox so much. Yes the media talk a load of nonsence but just forget about what they are saying and actually look at how much the dude did in the star studded teams of Man United and Madrid. He was a top class player.

Pro. F wrote: »

He dominated the assist charts at United during that time so that would lend weight to the argument that he was, in fact, important. That midfield had the perfect balance, each player excelled at what they did, and they won all before them as a team. It's very unfair to say that Beckham wasn't as important as the others. The fact is, nobody else in the world could have done what he did, as well as he did for us in that team.

People over react to the media bollox so much. Yes the media talk a load of nonsence but just forget about what they are saying and actually look at how much the dude did in the star studded teams of Man United and Madrid. He was a top class player.

again, all i am gonna say is if you think he was as important as Keane an Scholes thats your issue

there really is no point in me explaining it as you either get it or you dont

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

I think jealousy is the main reason why becks is so underrated!
    He's technically one of Englands best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Pro. F wrote: »
    Can you name another player from his era who could cross the ball as consistently well as Beckham? And if you can't, does that mean then that Figo, Ronaldihno, Giggs etc, etc. all stand damningly indicted?

Nope, Yep.

again, all i am gonna say is if you think he was as important as Keane an Scholes thats your issue

there really is no point in me explaining it as you either get it or you dont
    To be fair, your negative response was to the statement that he was as important as Keane, Scholes AND GIGGS. Central midfield players are always going to be more fundamental to the functioning of a team then wingers so comparing Beckham only to the two CMs is pointless.

Are you agreeing that Beckham was as important as Giggs during that era?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

This was actually a news flash on BBC news. Not sports news, but regular news.

With all the horrendous sh|t going on in the world the BBC decides to interrupt it's regular news service with the shocking announcement that David Beckham is out of the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Beckhams not nearly as good as he thinks he is. Yes, his crossing is fantastic and its almost impossible not to score from them, but he cant beat anyone for pace anymore (not that he could before), he can't head a ball and his tackling (for the most part) was perfected at the Paul Scholes School of Excellence. I'll admit I don't like the chap (despite being a Utd fan) but certainly wouldnt condone the publics reaction to what happened in 1998 after the World Cup. His performances for Utd that next season were amazing and he in no small way contributed to us winning the Treble.

My biggest problem with him is that he is a celebrity, not a footballer and his good lady wife and her publicity machine is ultimately responsible for it. He went to the US for the money and when he realised the standard was rubbish, and there was nothing he could do about it, he hired himself out to the highest bidder in Europe so that he'd get back into the World Cup squad. The tabloid press are going to have a field day about this, as they did when he knackered his metatarsal before. I can see him claiming that he'll be fit (despite the fact that we all know he hasn't a chance) and then dramatically announcing his retirement the day before the world cup starts and when England lose to the US it'll be all his fault.

And please God, he won't be a pundit because listening to him talk is like hearing someone scrape their nails down a blackboard. He can't string a sentence together to save his life because he's used to delivering soundbites only.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I feel sorry for Beckham the player but not Beckham the brand.

kippy wrote: »
    Nope, Yep.

OK well then your assessment of Beckham as nothing special stands up... ...in your own crazy world where no winger of that era was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Middle finger to the crowd? Wat?

We're going off-topic at this stage so this is the last I'll say about it - to me (and a lot of other United fans) Beckham wearing the scarf was a nice gesture. Maybe he did distance himself from the campaign, maybe it was just a spur of the moment thing. It was still good to see.

I feel sorry for Beckham the player but not Beckham the brand.

you havent tried his new scent then?

the end its called..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Silly arguments in this thread. For a while, maybe 4 years, Beckham was in the top 15 or 20 players in the world.

The silver lining of this injury is that Capello isn't pushed or forced in anyway to include Beckham, a semi retired player, in his squad and can pick players for football reasons.

The worst losers in this saga will be the stupid engrish tabloids,

now without Becks, they might actually have a chance., Becks was a very good player, one of the best but he has long since passed that stage.

Winning a world cup needs more than somone who can just offer a cameo role for corners or whipping in some sexual crosses..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if you believe Beckham was as important as Keane and Scholes to united then thats your issue

my 'issue'? because i disagree?

my 'opinion' thanks. just like you have yours.

it was a quartet.

Keane and Scholes were fundamentally more important, granted, but Beckham was an integral part of that midfield. as was Giggs, who Beckham, I would argue, was actually marginally more important than, during that period of United dominance.

to argue anything other than him being vitally important at that time, doesn't do him justice.

hate the brand, don't hate the player. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Milner was guarenteed a place on the plane whether Becks was fit or not. And im pretty sure Becks wasn't going to start in the first place so its irrelevant to Milner.

He was in the Champion's League; Young wasn't? That's top level football no matter what the final score was. His team are in the top 3 of Serie A which still is top level football (even though the standard has dipped). I don't get the hate towards him. His experience and talent (striking a ball is quite an essential talent for a footballer ;) ) would have added to the English team's chances IMO and they are worse off without him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Kirnsy wrote: »
    Milner was guarenteed a place on the plane whether Becks was fit or not. And im pretty sure Becks wasn't going to start in the first place so its irrelevant to Milner.

Yup but with Becks & Lennon injured and Walcott out of sorts then Milner is pretty much in competition with SWP for to start on the right with Ash just behind in the pecking order, which was the point i originally made.
    Kirnsy wrote: »
    He was in the Champion's League; Young wasn't? That's top level football no matter what the final score was. His team are in the top 3 of Serie A which still is top level football (even though the standard has dipped). I don't get the hate towards him. His experience and talent (striking a ball is quite an essential talent for a footballer ;) ) would have added to the English team's chances IMO and they are worse off without him.

Don't hate Becks by any means, however Ash Young has his best years ahead of him whilst Becks best years are well behind him. Flying between LA and the Milan bench is all well and good but Ash is playing week in and week out in the PL. I suppose its all about perspective, but imo biased opinion i'd rather Ash over Becks in my WC squad anytime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

Yup but with Becks & Lennon injured and Walcott out of sorts then Milner is pretty much in competition with SWP for to start on the right with Ash just behind in the pecking order, which was the point i originally made.

Fair point.

Don't hate Becks by any means, however Ash Young has his best years ahead of him whilst Becks best years are well behind him. Flying between LA and the Milan bench is all well and good but Ash is playing week in and week out in the PL. I suppose its all about perspective, but imo biased opinion i'd rather Ash over Becks in my WC squad anytime.

I think Becks offered more that Young. The experience factor cannot be overstated, he will be used to all the media attention etc and may even deflect attention away from the other players. I think Becks while nowhere near as pacey and skilful as Young, would deliver balls more consistently. Young as I see it is a Lennon with less consistency. He can disappear from matches but dominate others. If we are going to be biased here I think Capello should throw Walcott in (defeating all the above points about Young and consistency) purely because he offers more of a threat than any of them on his day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

For Euro 2012, he'll be 37, WC 2014 he'll be 39.

Wouldn't write him off just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Well Young will prob be going Left side..Cant see cole getting ahead of him.So mainly just between swp and milner

and Johnson

and Walcott

there is plenty of players who can play on the right for England

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

From one of BBC's writers
    When understandable sentiment and sympathy is set on one side, we are actually left with the brutal reality that England have actually lost a fringe squad player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I'm glad. Especially for FIFA. Let's hope Beckham organises a wheelchair world cup or something during the real world cup to draw attention from their rigged competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I am torn

I feel for Beck's he has been a great asset to England , and actually a good leader on the pitch ( I for one thought it was a mistake to make him captain but I ate my words ).

What I didn't like was the baggage he had , namely his wife , and all the WAG nonsense that goes along with it ( this cumulated in the nonsense with JT/WB/AC this season ).

I think he deserved a crack at the WC this year , and you never know may have been a talisman for the squad.

However now he is out , thank goodness !!! , The manager can now pick the team unhindered by the rubbish that would have gone on if he had picked him , or if he had not.

No doubt the tabloid press will find other rubbish to spout.

I think what we have seen is a end of a long and glorious career , so thanks Becks for the memories , Ill forgive you the silly goings on against the Argies !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Soby wrote: »
    Well Young will prob be going Left side..Cant see cole getting ahead of him.So mainly just between swp and milner

Gerrard will be playing on the left though surely. he's played all his games under Capello there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

There is no mystery to the England first team.

Walcott and Gerrard on the wings.

Lampard and Barry in the centre.

Terry, Rio, Johnson, Cole.

Rooney Obviously.

The only place up for grabs is the second striker.

Prob Heskey.

Green will get the nod between the sticks.

Wouldn't be my preferred team, but thats more or less the team that has qualified them, can't see Capello changing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Hargreaves can get and stay fit for 4-5 matches, I've no doubt he'll be in the team, and in the first team.

The way Gerrard is playing, his place is definately up for grabs.

PHB wrote: »
    If Hargreaves can get and stay fit for 4-5 matches, I've no doubt he'll be in the team, and in the first team.

The way Gerrard is playing, his place is definately up for grabs.

If Hargreaves makes the team it wil be a farce imo. He hasnt played in over a year. Regardless of whether he's fit or not I can't imagine he will be in any way match sharp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Frisbee wrote: »
    If Hargreaves makes the team it wil be a farce imo. He hasnt played in over a year. Regardless of whether he's fit or not I can't imagine he will be in any way match sharp.

He was absolute quality though. Not only was he England's best DM by a country mile, but he's a damn good passer and creative force too. And people forget how much of a threat he is from set pieces. He's almost as good as Beckham. If he's fit he shouldn't be ruled out.

Such a shame the last 3 years have been a write off for him though, before he got injured he was right up there with the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Well then he is taking Gareth Barry's place not Gerrards.
    Boggles wrote: »
    There is no mystery to the England first team.

Walcott and Gerrard on the wings.

Well Lennon was England's number 7 before he got injured so I wouldn't say its nailed down. Still question marks over Rio's fitness/ability. If you are going by that thinking then Defoe has the second striker spot, its no mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I hold Hargreaves doesn't go to the WC. Even if he does make it back for United before the end of the season, which I doubt, going to the world cup would be a terrible idea for him. I reckon he will have to manage his appearances, and i think he should be retiring from international football to be honest.

He was absolute quality though. Not only was he England's best DM by a country mile, but he's a damn good passer and creative force too. And people forget how much of a threat he is from set pieces. He's almost as good as Beckham. If he's fit he shouldn't be ruled out.

Then I can't really see the point of putting him out on the left wing. Yes he's a good passer of the ball, but I can't imagine him playing better than Gerrard there, or any other left winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Frisbee wrote: »
    Then I can't really see the point of putting him out on the left wing. Yes he's a good passer of the ball, but I can't imagine him playing better than Gerrard there, or any other left winger.

Hargreaves was actually a decent winger before the knees went. He's a very good crosser and had a surprising turn of pace to beat people. If Hargreaves were to come back fit in time, because his knees are ****ed I'd be more like to stick Barry on the left though and tell Hargreaves just to sit deep, not do his usual running, and play little balls and crosses over the top for Rooney to latch onto.

Although in an ideal world England would play a 4-2-3-1 to get the best out of one of Gerrard/Lamps.

Hargreaves---Barry
    Lennon
    Gerrard
    Young

Having both Hargreaves and Barry in there allows you to be a bit more lightweight on the wings and bring in the pace merchants.

And this brings me onto another point about the 4-4-2: Beckham. Arguably Beckham's past importance to the team is one of the main reason's they've stuck so rigidly to the 4-4-2, he never had the legs to play in a 4-3-3. But with Beckham in the team for the last 10 years, all England have done has a team is look to play quite direct football with crosses from wide positions as the primary creative force. I don't think the managers actually intended to set them up to play like this, but with Beckham in the team it would eventually end up like that, the easy option as it were. Maybe now with Beckham's shadow over the squad finally lifted they can put that direct nonsense behind them.

• Advertisement

Hargreaves was actually a decent winger before the knees went. He's a very good crosser and had a surprising turn of pace to beat people. If Hargreaves were to come back fit in time, because his knees are ****ed I'd be more like to stick Barry on the left though and tell Hargreaves just to sit deep, not do his usual running, and play little balls and crosses over the top for Rooney to latch onto.

Although in an ideal world England would play a 4-2-3-1 to get the best out of one of Gerrard/Lamps.

Hargreaves---Barry
    Lennon
    Gerrard
    Young

Having both Hargreaves and Barry in there allows you to be a bit more lightweight on the wings and bring in the pace merchants.

And this brings me onto another point about the 4-4-2: Beckham. Arguably Beckham's past importance to the team is one of the main reason's they've stuck so rigidly to the 4-4-2, he never had the legs to play in a 4-3-3. But with Beckham in the team for the last 10 years, all England have done has a team is look to play quite direct football with crosses from wide positions as the primary creative force. I don't think the managers actually intended to set them up to play like this, but with Beckham in the team it would eventually end up like that, the easy option as it were. Maybe now with Beckham's shadow over the squad finally lifted they can put that direct nonsense behind them.

They'll still have to play relatively direct imo because of the lack of technical ability in the centre. With technically limited players like Barry and Carrick in there they are always going to end up playing a bit direct. Lampard has done well to adapt to playing deeper than is his best position but it's still not ideal with him there too (that's cm in the 442 i mean).

Hargreaves hasn't a hope of making the squad imo. In the very unlikely event that he is fit in time he will still be very short of match sharpness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Hargreaves for the WC?!?!? What next.. Bobby Charlton considered for England squad?!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Well Lennon was England's number 7 before he got injured so I wouldn't say its nailed down.

And why did Lennon get it? Because Walcott got injured.

Capello loves Walcott, he will start IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

10 poxy pages about a fringe player in a quarter final at best team missing the world cup.

I will be avoiding this place like the plague when the WC is on. Uncle Tom - tastic....

Advertisement