If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED TV's

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi
    How much are the 46"+ LED tv's at present. I see from other threads that there are some new Philips ones coming in, but they're a little expensive for me.
    Does Richer Sounds stock any other LED's and apart from being thinner, how do they compare with similar sized LCD's?
    tks

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Paschcom wrote: »
    Hi
    How much are the 46"+ LED tv's at present. I see from other threads that there are some new Philips ones coming in, but they're a little expensive for me.
    Does Richer Sounds stock any other LED's and apart from being thinner, how do they compare with similar sized LCD's?
    tks

Pasch,

thanks for the email and apologies for the delay in getting back to you - where do I start with such a wide query? Basically there is really no definitive answer to your query - to be honest as far as I have seen to date there are good and bad LED's - I have seen many LED TV's that cannot compare with a decent LCD (for instance the Philips 42PFL9664 lays waste to nearly all LED's that I have seen so far) however at a budget level LED does offer several advantages that LCD does not - not least amoung these is the lower power consumption and in the case of backlit LED more even and focused picture quality (edge lit can still be somewhat patchy in some instances I have found)

Pretty much all of the new Philips range will be LED and many of them will be Back and opposed to edge lit - currently there is the 9704 series which now is pretty much agreed to be the outstanding 40 & 46" available on the market.

There are a slew of new models coming out over the next few months however without exception they will be significantly more expensve for instance the replacement for the 47PFL5604 which currently retails at €999.99 (or €899.99 including your Boardies Philips Shop 10% discount) will be the 46PFL5605 which will retail at €1299 or €1169.99 again including your Boardies Philips shop discount) - when you get into the higher ranges - or the 8 series - the current 47PFL8404 retails at €1499.99 or €1349.99 including your Boardies 10% Philips shop discount - the 46PFL8605 will retail at around €1999 or €1799.99 including your Boardies 10% Philips shop discount over 20% more expensive.

However I have seen both of these TV and I can tell you that especially on the 46PFL8605 - they are pretty damn special!

On current stocks we do have the 47PFL5604 available from stock at €999.99 including your Boardies 10% Philips shop discount it comes down to just €899.99 - we also have the 47PFL8404 (100Hz / NET TV / Ambilight) at €1499.99 or €1349.99 including your Boardies 10% Philips shop discount. And of course I also have the daddy of 47" TV's - the 47PFL9664 at €1999.95 or €1799.99 including your Boardies 10% Philips shop discount.

Give me a shout if any of these are intereseting or if I can offer any more advice or assist in any way.

Thanks again,

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Paschcom

Thanks John
    Philip's look good, but was wondering if you stock LED's in any other makes. I saw a nice looking 46" LED in Harvey Norman yesterday - Samsung, UE46B6000. Price seemed good at less than €1500. Don't suppose you stock this?
    Paschal

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Paschcom

John
    Having looked into it further, the 46PFL5605 LED TV is quite interesting. I've seen reports it is due in shops in April. Is this correct? If so, it looks like it might be worth waiting a few weeks for.
    Paschal

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.