Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problematic external light sensor

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭

We have an external motion detection light at the front of our house. For the past while, it remains on at all times, even when there is no motion.

What's the best thing for me to look at, to fix this issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Switch off the power for about 30 secs, then switch it back on again.
    This resets it to normal.
    If you want it to stay on, flick the power off then on, or have a power glitch.
    Or it could just be faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

This started acting up a few months ago. We had the power turned off since then and only turned it back on yesterday to try to fix. How do I program them to go off after x seconds?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

RangeR wrote: »
    . How do I program them to go off after x seconds?
    Depending on the make there are usually 2 or 3 pots underneath the sensor. The time will usually be marked by a small clock symbol with a narrow strip widening outside that. Narrow is shorter time wider is longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

koolkid wrote: »
    Depending on the make there are usually 2 or 3 pots underneath the sensor. The time will usually be marked by a small clock symbol with a narrow strip widening outside that. Narrow is shorter time wider is longer.

Cheers, I'll check that tonight. Actually, from what you said, I assume that these are physical dials. Disconnecting the power for a few months would have no effect whatsoever.

If that's the case, then it's probably a faulty sensor as it won't turn off at all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

RangeR wrote: »
    Cheers, I'll check that tonight. Actually, from what you said, I assume that these are physical dials. Disconnecting the power for a few months would have no effect whatsoever.

If that's the case, then it's probably a faulty sensor as it won't turn off at all.

Disconecting & reconnecting the power may reset it. After you power it off wait a minute. Check position of the timer pot and adjust if needed. Power it back on & wait for it to switch off. This can take a few minutes initially.

• Advertisement
Advertisement