Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ip address problems!

• 15-03-2010 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi guys i have been having some problems with my ip address, it has been working perfect up till i sent it away to get repaired, now every once in a while when i go on line i cant connect because i have a static ip address, the first three numbers are 169, when i rang ntl the girl asked me to turn it off and back on again like they tell you to do with everything that doesn't work!!,anyway when i mentioned the numbers 169 etc, she just told me i shouldn't have that and she could not help me and told me to go to apple,after half an hour on the apple phone line the helped me fix it by taking out the battery and reseting the computer,its still happening and i am still reseting my computer, which is wrecking me brain! i forgot to mention that its a mac im using and im gona post this in the mac forum as well any help an this would be much appreciated thanks guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

shayp83 wrote: »
    Hi guys i have been having some problems with my ip address, it has been working perfect up till i sent it away to get repaired, now every once in a while when i go on line i cant connect because i have a static ip address, the first three numbers are 169, when i rang ntl the girl asked me to turn it off and back on again like they tell you to do with everything that doesn't work!!,anyway when i mentioned the numbers 169 etc, she just told me i shouldn't have that and she could not help me and told me to go to apple,after half an hour on the apple phone line the helped me fix it by taking out the battery and reseting the computer,its still happening and i am still reseting my computer, which is wrecking me brain! i forgot to mention that its a mac im using and im gona post this in the mac forum as well any help an this would be much appreciated thanks guys

You sent your IP away to be repaired? I'm sure you mean your mac right!
    Anyway if you only started seeing this problem after the mac was in the shop then common sense will tell you its the mac, stick with the mac forum i'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭shayp83

hightower1 wrote: »
    You sent your IP away to be repaired? I'm sure you mean your mac right!
    Anyway if you only started seeing this problem after the mac was in the shop then common sense will tell you its the mac, stick with the mac forum i'd say.

ooops sorry ye i sent the mac away haha cheers anyway ill stick to the mac forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

169.x.y.z addresses are used by the operating system when it can't get any other ip address by DHCP and there isn't one statically configured. It could be a problem with your router not issuing you an ip address, but more than likely it's a problem with your operating system - possibly even a damaged cat5 cable or very poor wifi connectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Moriarty wrote: »
    169.x.y.z addresses are used by the operating system when it can't get any other ip address by DHCP and there isn't one statically configured. It could be a problem with your router not issuing you an ip address, but more than likely it's a problem with your operating system - possibly even a damaged cat5 cable or very poor wifi connectivity.

Correct.

169 is self-assigned by your O/S with APIPA.

It essentially means your router and pc aren't communicating.

Advertisement