Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ev+a 2010

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just wanted to share this description of Limerick from Elisabeth Hatz who is the curator of this years ev+a.
    I think it makes sense. ev+a is well worth a look and its on in Catherine Street on the corner of Thomas Street.

Limerick has grown on me – I have become attached to it, because I cannot make it out. It is not charming – it is irresistible. It’s a city of contradictions and conflicts, most segregated of places in Ireland, physically and mentally. It is rough and gentle in the weirdest mix. Planned for the car, fragmented and smashed apart and left with a truly lovable – neglected and dying – city centre, truffled with great little butcher shops. It defies 21st century idea of urbanity and urban living by the persistent and perplexing presence of animals; sheep and cows, rare birds, horses pulling sulkies in the middle of the streets or grazing impediments within the road spaghetti. Both invisible and highly physical walls cut across the city, pulling neighbourhoods far apart. Remnants of crashed Celtic Tiger Dreams stand like monuments with their halted cranes and half finished towers. In many ways, Limerick is like a miniature image of current conditions, displaying in a single glimpse the passionate absurdities and restraining certitudes. Limerick is longing to be seen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I'm surprised EV+A still has a budget in the current climate.

- How much is the Arts Council of Ireland paying Swedish Architects to write prose on contemporary Urban Sheep sightings anyhow? And do we not have our own home-grown aesthetically orientated Kooks to comment on such matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

From your other posts i take it that you got out of the wrong side of bed today. If you have any issues with the Arts Council, contact them not me. I am just putting this quote out there as i think it is interesting to see an outsiders point of view. By the fact you use the word kooks in relation to ev+a/Art says a lot.

From your other posts i take it that you got out of the wrong side of bed today. If you have any issues with the Arts Council, contact them not me. I am just putting this quote out there as i think it is interesting to see an outsiders point of view. By the fact you use the word kooks in relation to ev+a/Art says a lot.

For the record - none of my comments were aimed at you & yer fine I am perpetually and incurably miserable, some People blame my overwhelming cynicism, I simply blame the World as I find it :D

- Nah, but seriously, in the current climate lots of People could argue that Hospital beds and Teachers should take precedence over Guests of the Nation joyously admiring the textures, tonal range and stark contrasts of our Urban Decay.....

Fair enough but this years curator lives in Limerick and teaches architecture in UL so her travel expenses will be low!
    I dont think we can compare hospital beds with art exhibitions, while citizen welfare should be the governments priority i believe art and culture provides other benfits to people. I am no art expert but i did enjoy the exhibition yesterday and was proud that Limerick could attract international artists and the skyline provides a nice backdrop to eva.

I reckon you should go check it out while the weather is good. It might lift some of the gloom.:D

Fair enough but this years curator lives in Limerick and teaches architecture in UL so her travel expenses will be low!
    I dont think we can compare hospital beds with art exhibitions, while citizen welfare should be the governments priority i believe art and culture provides other benfits to people. I am no art expert but i did enjoy the exhibition yesterday and was proud that Limerick could attract international artists and the skyline provides a nice backdrop to eva.

I reckon you should go check it out while the weather is good. It might lift some of the gloom.:D

Well I'd love to get out and see this Exhibition but am currently sharing a Trolley with two others out here in a draughty Corridor in the Mid West Regional Hospital.

- Anyway even if I was feeling better I couldn't read the bus schedule too gud cawse I had 59 udder Kids in mi klas and mi teechur died in Oktobre and wuz not riplaysed.

Only joking! If the money has already been spent then we should all just put our differences to once side and make an effort to get out and see it!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

The exhibition in the new building where Javas was on catherine street is worth a visit some nice pieces in there and a brilliant sound exhibit. Actually its worth the visit for the view from the top floor

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Raiser wrote: »

- How much is the Arts Council of Ireland paying Swedish Architects to write prose on contemporary Urban Sheep sightings anyhow? And do we not have our own home-grown aesthetically orientated Kooks to comment on such matters?

I bet whoever wrote that attends midnight poetry sessions with the other beret wearing deep thinkers and their favourite drink is perfume served with a plum in a mans hat:D

lousy beatniks...

skateboarding_shoes-2443.jpgskateboarding_shoes-2443.jpg

Its called 10 feet short of Utopia.

- Its a piece centred around Limericks passion for Sportwear and the fact that we can only ever wear two Tackies at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

sorry for coming across as disrespectful, iv read all the comments sofar..what the hell is this thread about?

dave 27 wrote: »
    sorry for coming across as disrespectful, iv read all the comments sofar..what the hell is this thread about?

Art for Arts sake.

• Advertisement

thanks Raiser. i would go to that exhibition of yours.

Dave27 this thread was initially a quote from the curator of EVA, i thought it was interesting so posted quote, we than had a brief discussion on the merits of art in the current climate and thats it.

dont think i can make it any simpler than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Is the EVA exhibition in the new building on Catherine street open to the general public?
    I passed there a few times and wasn't sure whether it was open to regular people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

Yup open to everyone they keep the door closed to keep in the heat

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭xi

I would need this presented against the backdrop of a picture depicting failing fledgling businesses
    18110-15-main.jpg
    it represents the citys love of the yesteryear met with the need to keep ones legs warm by tucking ones Nike tracksuit into ones Nike socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Raiser wrote: »

You should read some of the books of Richard Florida on the importance of art and artists to the development of economically successful cities.

You should read some of the books of Richard Florida on the importance of art and artists to the development of economically successful cities.

Ricky F. wrote:
    Prof. Florida's theory asserts that metropolitan regions with high concentrations of high-tech workers, artists, musicians, lesbians and gay men, and a group he describes as "high bohemians", correlate with a higher level of economic development. Florida posits the theory that the creative class fosters an open, dynamic, personal and professional environment. This environment, in turn, attracts more creative people, as well as businesses and capital. He suggests that attracting and retaining high-quality talent, versus a singular focus on infrastructure projects such as sports stadiums, iconic buildings, and shopping centers, would be a better primary use of a city's regeneration resources for long-term prosperity.

This Guy seems to generally speaking, draw more criticism than he does support and agreement; I'm with the Critics on this one - predictably enough ;)

- Although I wouldn't mind seeing our "High Bohemian" Class face down the Cities anti-social Scum contingent by way of startling their default perspective and by utilising harsh Autumnal Colours to stun them into submission.

Advertisement