Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

England For 3/4 Months

Options
  • 15-03-2010 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭

Just wondering, what sort of avenues would I have to go down if I wanted to live and work in england for a few months?

How do I go about sorting any kind of documention (PAYE,PRSI etc)?

I'm looking to move there for the summer months and am just wondering how I should go about it so that I will be eligible to work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

You move over and once you have a job (or two rejection letters) you apply to your nearest Job Centre for a National Insurance number. Until you have your NI number you will be put on emergency tax by your employer. Once you have it you forward it to the relevant person at you company and you will get back any tax you've overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

iguana wrote: »
    You move over and once you have a job (or two rejection letters) you apply to your nearest Job Centre for a National Insurance number.

You don't need to wait till you have a job or rejection letters - if your irish [or hold another EU country passport] you can apply at any time for an NI number. You will need photo ID and proof of address [lease will do] and it can take a while to get the interview then wait for the number to be sent out but you can start work while waiting and they don't take as massive a chunk of emergancy tax in the uk as they do in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Moving for the summer months alone is okay but just remember that you'll have rent to pay, so just make sure the job is worth it. Also, many landlords in semi-decent places want their tenants to sign a six-month (minimum) lease.

If you look for accommodation through an estate agent then they will want to do a credit check on you...but they can't because you are coming from Ireland. The result? They usually demand one month deposit plus three months rent in advance. Expensive!

Use Gumtree or other websites (e.g. local newspapers) to find a place to stay if you are only planning on living here (UK) for a few months.

Advertisement