Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Risqué travellers causing a ruckess

Options
  • 15-03-2010 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭

Nothing really new here, but some folk have obviously had enough of the travellers behaviour.

from www.limerickleader.ie
    A row over members of the travelling community wearing inappropriate clothes and disturbing Sunday Mass in Rathkeale has escalated with the decision by the local church choir to boycott the service in protest at the handling of the issue.

There was a wall of silence in Rathkeale this week as both local priests Canon Joseph Dempsey and Fr William Russell, local councillors and choir members all refused to comment on a dispute that has exposed the sensitive divide between the traveller and settled communities in the town.

The issue came to a head during Mass on Valentine's Day, when a member of the congregation stood up and spoke out against the apparent disrespect being shown to the church by scantily-clad young traveller women, and by people who continuously disturbed Mass by arriving late and making noise throughout the service.

However, a number of locals who did not wish to be named said many in the parish were "very upset" after Fr Russell distanced the church from the sentiment expressed by the local woman, prompting the long-serving choir to walk out in protest.

Noel White, chairman of the Rathkeale Community Council and a member of the choir, said a "difference of opinion" had led to an unfortunate situation: "My interpretation of this is the priests have to cover themselves, because there could be cries of discrimination. I suppose what was said (during Valentine's Mass), they had to distance themselves from. A priest is a priest, he treats everyone the same.

"In fairness to the canon he's been saying it Sunday after Sunday about people turning up late. It's difficult to know what to do. You can't close the door to the church. Hopefully the choir will be going back in the next two or three weeks, and we'll be back looking for new members as always."

Mr White said that some members of the choir "feel that not enough is being done to keep order" during Sunday Mass, and that "some people I know won't go to half eleven Mass anymore". "It's hard. Never mind that they're not fully dressed going in. That's beside the point.

"It's people arriving late and disrupting Mass that's the problem. And it isn't just one side of the population either. You'd say something if it was at half eight, but I don't see how you can be turning up late for a Mass at half eleven. Sure it's practically the middle of the day. I don't know how it's going to be solved," he added.

Ben Archibald, spokesperson for Travellers' rights group Pavee Point, said that it was important that both sides of the community meet and air their grievances over the issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

The clothes some of the travelleler women wear aren't exactly to my taste but I don't see how what individual people choose to wear interferes with your relationship with God at mass?

There is a fair amount of noise though and something should be done about that. I don't think integration is the way here and I think their should be a seperate mass fo travellers and for settled. Controversial perhaps but I think it would be what both would want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 famous

grenache wrote: »
    Nothing really new here, but some folk have obviously had enough of the travellers behaviour.

from www.limerickleader.ie
    isint it typical the clergy have nothing to say and dont want to get involved,the cannon is the so called leader of the church in rathkeale and surely he has some say in the running of the church therfore he should ask these people to dress in an appropriate fashion for the church,half eleven mass in rathkeale is a joke and if he cant run the church properly then he should move on and leave the job to someone that will take the stance thats needed,as for the local curate ?he isnt much better rathkeale has a beautyfull church dont let these people (travellers)drive people away from it
    im going no where,people of rathkeale need to stand up for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

a lot of european churches require that visiting females cover their shoulders. Their property and fair enough.

Imagine this sat down beside you
    http://tackyweddings.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/image005.jpg

famous wrote: »
    isint it typical the clergy have nothing to say and dont want to get involved,the cannon is the so called leader of the church in rathkeale and surely he has some say in the running of the church therfore he should ask these people to dress in an appropriate fashion for the church,half eleven mass in rathkeale is a joke and if he cant run the church properly then he should move on and leave the job to someone that will take the stance thats needed,as for the local curate ?he isnt much better rathkeale has a beautyfull church dont let these people (travellers)drive people away from it
    im going no where,people of rathkeale need to stand up for themselves

Anyone who goes to mass in Rathkeale will know full well that the Canon sides with the settled people,but as usual with the RC church they don't have backbone to declare where their allegiance lies. Have you not seen the looks he gives the travellers during Sunday mass?

The church should take a stand and have a segregated mass for both settled and travelling communities. This would clearly solve the problem and would put an end to the unnecessary friction between the two communitys come Sunday morning.

Also as someone who used to regularly attend Rathkeale Mass ,the travellers never had any impact whatsoever with my experience in Sunday mass and I find it pretty distasteful that you think travellers are driving people away from the Catholic faith in Rathkeale.

uberwolf wrote: »
    a lot of european churches require that visiting females cover their shoulders. Their property and fair enough.

Imagine this sat down beside you
    http://tackyweddings.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/image005.jpg

Those pictures show exactly what traveller women wear to rathkeale mass. If the RC church has a problem with that then it just exposes their mysoginistic views, as I don't ever remember Jesus ordering men or women to wear specific clothing to the Last Supper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

panda100 wrote: »
    as I don't ever remember Jesus ordering men or women to wear specific clothing to the Last Supper.

There was a mention of Hosanna in the Hiace, They heard Jesus was a chippie and might have some power tools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I wouldn't dress provocatively in front of any priest, things are bad enough without giving them the come-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

[QUOTE=panda100;65308839 I find it pretty distasteful that you think travellers are driving people away from the Catholic faith in Rathkeale.[/QUOTE]
    I think he/she means the travellers are discouraging people from attending the church, rather than driving them away from their faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

If that's the reason people are staying away it seems they were looking for the right excuse.

Personally they can wear what they like within the law (by that I mean real law not some bull**** canon law). Their choice, not others.

As for turning up late, better late than never. Lock the doors? Jeebus would turn in his tomb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

They may look provocative to some, but as one who has dealing with church services, communions, confirmations & weddings .. the type of picture posted is not meant to be offensive, it's just them.

• Advertisement

ch750536 wrote: »
    If that's the reason people are staying away it seems they were looking for the right excuse.

Personally they can wear what they like within the law (by that I mean real law not some bull**** canon law). Their choice, not others.

As for turning up late, better late than never. Lock the doors? Jeebus would turn in his tomb.
    Exactly!

If God made us in his image then theres really no problem going naked to mass. Surely you want to celebrate your likeness to God rather than covering it up?

Also mass is meant to be a reanactment of Jesus at the last supper right,which was a social occasion,so If travellers want to talk Im sure the son of God doesnt have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Hagar wrote: »
    I wouldn't dress provocatively in front of any priest, things are bad enough without giving them the come-on.
    why would you not dress that way in front of the priest, he is a man
    what is wrong with it
    every one is entitled to dress as they please
    bet they were fine looking ladies

Advertisement