Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone please explain?

Options
  • 15-03-2010 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

A couple of things that have gone over my head of late that people are annoyed about.

Why is the absence of dedicated servers for MW2 a problem?

and what is matchmaking and why do some not like it?

I know i have a bunch of things that ive previously largely ignored but would now like the answer to so if i think of any more ill throw them on here for you good boards people to enlighten me.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

dr gonzo wrote: »
    A couple of things that have gone over my head of late that people are annoyed about.
    • Why is the absence of dedicated servers for MW2 a problem?
    • and what is matchmaking and why do some not like it?

I know i have a bunch of things that ive previously largely ignored but would now like the answer to so if i think of any more ill throw them on here for you good boards people to enlighten me.

Cheers.

Because home broadband connections are not capable of hosting multiplayer fps games. The latency is too high.

I personally don't like matchmaking because I never see the same players, I have no choice on maps and it can take forever to actually get a game. Then I get booted out at the lobby after and have to start the whole process over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Because home broadband connections are not capable of hosting multiplayer fps games. The latency is too high.

I personally don't like matchmaking because I never see the same players, I have no choice on maps and it can take forever to actually get a game. Then I get booted out at the lobby after and have to start the whole process over.

That's not even the real problems, with this new move from those tosser publishers, wave bye bye to clan battles as you knew them, no more custom maps and the whole point of a dedicated server is that it is always there. It's not running on somebodies machine but a server space rented out for the soul purpose of playing the game (less lag, different rules and it's a proper server).

They shot themselves in the foot with that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Basically every FPS up till this point in time ran on a dedicated server.

Essentially a Computer - designed solely to HOST the games - located in a DataCentre - wich a super whopper Internet connection (1000 Mbs often)

This allowed for multiple people to connect and run the game smoothly with decent pings as intended.

With IWNet and the lack of dedicated servers , if 10 of us join a game, it will look for the person with the best Internet connection (Disregarding the computer the person has - they may not have a decent cpu/gfx) and they will be forced to run the game.
    Everyone in the game runs off that persons connection, which is usually inadequate

Also, the lack of a dedicated server - means a lack of dedicated server files , so people cannot modify or setup servers how they'd like.

It also eliminates server browsers - so people cannot search for TDM/DM or by map.

It also effectively kills off the modding community

Lack of dedicated servers makes it near impossible for clans to play, or for competitive leagues/gaming on that game

The current IWNet matchmaking is a nightmare for clans, or friends trying to connect to the same game

I think they are enough reasons to hate it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Cheers folks, that cleared a few things up. I am now informed and brimming with indignation with the rest of you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭Wossack

they basically sacrificed community for control - and can now more easily force paid-DLC upon you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭stevoslice

Wossack wrote: »
    they basically sacrificed community for control - and can now more easily force paid-DLC upon you

force you to buy DLC? overstate your point much?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 131 ✭✭anto kerr

Wossack wrote: »

thats exactly it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

thebhoy wrote: »
    force you to buy DLC? overstate your point much?

It's not overstated. When Halo 3 DLC came out and you didn't have it, it was tough to find a game.

Advertisement