Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Lent Big Read

• 15-03-2010 3:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

A very interesting project for this Lent - The Lent Big Read

N.T. Wright (Bishop of Durham) has written a book entitled Lent for Everyone - Luke (Year C). The idea is to get Christians - irrespective of denomination - reading the Gospels over a three year period each lent. In other words, the big read is broken into the following: year A concentrates on Matt, year B on Mark, year C on Luke all with readings from John throughout each Eastertide.

To coincide with this project, Wright plans to give three talks about Luke's Gospel (he's already given 2) which, knowing the Bishop, will be very informative and inspirational.

Talk 1: An Introduction to Luke

Talk 2: The Passion in Luke

Talk 3: Easter and Beyond

This is a cross denominational project, and one I think could bear fruit. Enjoy!

P.S. All talks can be streamed by clicking above or downloaded by right clicking the hyperlink and hitting "save as..."

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

Thanks, Fanny, for this information. Is the book Lent for Everyone - Luke basically just a recycling of Tom Wright's Luke for Everyone, I wonder. Although I don't always agree with him, I find Wright's writings, including his New Testament translations and commentaries in the X for Everyone series, very stimulating, and I'm currently reading his latest (though with Wright you can never be sure - he's probably written another couple of books since the New Year :)) book Virtue Reborn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

hivizman wrote: »
    Thanks, Fanny, for this information. Is the book Lent for Everyone - Luke basically just a recycling of Tom Wright's Luke for Everyone, I wonder. Although I don't always agree with him, I find Wright's writings, including his New Testament translations and commentaries in the X for Everyone series, very stimulating, and I'm currently reading his latest (though with Wright you can never be sure - he's probably written another couple of books since the New Year :)) book Virtue Reborn.

I'm not sure, tbh. I've neither read the book nor listened fully to the talks :o but I would imagine that there is a new emphasis placed on the Gospels rather than startling revelations. I plan to head into a bookshop and if I can get my hands on a copy I'll report back.

As for always agreeing with Wright, where would be the fun if you did?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭homer911

I think the Dublin Diocese (?) is doing something on Luke this year - I understand the Anglican and Catholic churches are getting together on it

homer911 wrote: »
    I think the Dublin Diocese (?) is doing something on Luke this year - I understand the Anglican and Catholic churches are getting together on it

I would say that it is very likely. The whole idea is that Prods, RCC's and whoever else can get together and read the bible the same way. A worthy goal.

I've received a complaint for my use of the word "Prod". It is an abbreviation for Protestant and it is not intended as an insult.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I've received a complaint for my use of the word "Prod". It is an abbreviation for Protestant and it is not intended as an insult.

I honestly can't imagine how anyone would find that insulting. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

PDN wrote: »
    I honestly can't imagine how anyone would find that insulting. :confused:

Prod or Proddie were derisional terms where I grew up, so I could understand someone not knowing FC thinking he was been derisional. If it was a regular poster that complained, then no excuses, they should know better. I'm not backing up the complaint btw, I hate the idea that someone would do that given the context the word was used in. However, I'm just saying that I 'could' imagine how its a term that 'some' may find offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Whoever complained, stop being a sanctimonious git.

Way to MISS THE POINT, dramatically, once again.

*pulls hair out*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

*gets out his fireworks* I knew these would come to good use someday :D

I've been meaning to update this thread with the final link in the series of 3.

P.S. Never got to check that book, Hivisman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

I've been meaning to update this thread with the final link in the series of 3.

Thanks for this - I will have to hope that I get some time to listen to all three of the talks.

P.S. Never got to check that book, Hivisman.

No worries - if you're like me, the list of books that are waiting to be read seems to get longer than the list of books actually read.

Thanks for this - I will have to hope that I get some time to listen to all three of the talks.

Given that combined the talks amount to ~3 hours it's a necessarily rapid stroll through the Luke. Still, food for thought is provided along the way.
    No worries - if you're like me, the list of books that are waiting to be read seems to get longer than the list of books actually read.

Definitely! I've acquired about 10 books in the last 2 months.

Advertisement