Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV - 6 months with one employer

Options
  • 15-03-2010 5:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I've tried looking on the immigration website for the specifics of this rule, saying that you are allowed work 6 months with the one employer on the WHV. Can anyone point me to a full outline, please?

All I can find is one line simply saying you can work for 6 months with one employer. Can i just get links to facts, without general opinions, or hearsay as well, please? I know what boards is like!! ;)

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Straight from the email I got from Immigration:
    EMPLOYER WORK LIMITATION - 8547

The holder must not be employed by any 1 employer for more than 6 months, without the prior permission in writing of the Secretary.

Not sure what else you need to know mate !

Maybe search the web for Employer Work Limitation 8547 if you wanna see the legislative language used or somethin?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,355 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

The_B_Man wrote: »
    All I can find is one line simply saying you can work for 6 months with one employer. Can i just get links to facts, without general opinions, or hearsay as well, please? I know what boards is like!! ;)

Cheers.

To be honest, there is all there is to it.
    It's fairly straight forward. There is a minor exception, that allows for an extension of about a month. But you have to apply for this and there are pretty tight conditions.

Thats said, they don't police it very tightly. I was with my last employer for 8 months. i'm not encouraging this, I'm merely pointing out that I worked through and was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

If they want to keep you past 6 months and it's a skilled job then they should sponsor you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Where can I find a list of skilled jobs and how difficult/time consuming is it to move between a WHV and sponsorship?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Where can I find a list of skilled jobs and how difficult/time consuming is it to move between a WHV and sponsorship?

Are you talking about 457 Sponsorship?

Find the list here http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/457occupations.pdf

Its not very difficult if you have at least few years experience in the nominated occupation. Probably about 2 or 3 nights filling forms and at least 2 weeks processing.

The really hard bit is finding a job and employer willing to Sponsor you.

More info on 457 http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭duckygalway

Happy days -I'm on the list! To be honest I'm coming over on a WHV, noticed this thread and thought to myself.. if I really love it why not stay longer! Nice to know the option is there to extend and the 6-month restriction isn't definitive, if you find the right employer! Cheers!

Advertisement