Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hill starts

• 15-03-2010 8:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Hi all, I'm having trouble with Hill starts. It is the one thing I am really bad at still. I was taught the following:
    1) Hand brake on
    2) Clutch in and select first
    3) Find the biting point
    4) Press accelerator to about 2 revs
    5) Hold feet still and release the handbrake and slowly move off.

I was with my Mam and she kept shouting take off the handbrake! and I cut out twice. I got really stressed out because I didnt understand what I was supposed to do and she couln't remember what she did.

I eventually manage but I seem to cut out a couple of times and then fly out too fast and jerk around for a bit!
    I especially hate when the car rolls back and my accompanying driver pulls up the handbrake- if someone is behind you you only have one more chance to get it right.

I know you'll all probably say practice, but all the "hills" that are quiet enough to practice on are no use- it is the steep ones turning out onto junctions that I have an issue with.
    Is it possible to hold the car with the clutch only on a very steep hill? I keep trying and messing this up.
    One example: A road I have to use a lot invoves stopping at the top of the hill and pulling out onto a main road. I need to be able to pull out to the junction very slowly so I can look to the left as you can't see around the corner. How do you inch out slowly on a hill?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well, first off, it's probably best to learn this with your instructor, as although your mum means well, it sounds like she could just be stressing you out. As for your technique, before you release the handbrake and you give the engine some gas, the car should want to move forward ie it'll usually push the back of the car down. And when you are releasing the handbrake smoothly accelerate more, rather than just fixing the revs of the engine.
    I know this is not what you want to here, but practice makes perfect:). I'd ask your instructor to go through it with for a lesson until you're comfortable with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

My instructor thought me the best tip. You dont need to lean a hillstart on a hill. Get the principles right on the flat then progress up "slight" inclines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Do you have an ADI or are you taking lessons from your mum? If it's the later I'd suggest a few lessons with an ADI.

One trick I use to get pupils used to hills and the clutch is to go to a quiet hill, not too steep. Get the pupil to press the footbrake, press the clutch to the floor, select 1st and drop the handbrake (when safe to do so).

The car will start to roll back. I then get the pupil to gently bring up the clutch to the biting point. This will stop the car. I ask the pupil to hold the clutch there so the car is stopped by the clutch. This gives the pupil a great understanding of how the clutch works.

We'd then practice with the same principles as you've outlined. I wouldn't be setting the revs to 2000 though as this will depend entirely on the individual hill. Once mastered on a slight hill we'd move on.

Remember, the hill start is exactly the same as moving off only with the introduction of gas. The gas pedal only needs to be gently pressed to have the desired effect. You might be jerking because you could be being a bit heavy footed trying to find the balance.

For a smooth hill start your feet need to work together from around the point the clutch bites, smoothly off the clutch and at the same time smoothly & GENTLY on the gas.

As for holding a car on the clutch on a very steep hill depends entirely on the clutch on the particular car. In general though most cars will need some gas to prevent the car rolling.

Inching forward is something that you'll learn with your ADI. It involves having a good understanding of the clutch and how to control it. You need to ever so slightly allow the pedal to lift, no fully, but just a few mm at a time and press it again when you've moved far enough forward.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

My instructor thought me the best tip. You dont need to lean a hillstart on a hill. Get the principles right on the flat then progress up "slight" inclines.
    This is good advice. You can start at the bottom of a hill where the isn't much incline and after a while move up the hill and start where it's a bit steeper.
    Everyone gets a bit freaked out on hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Magnus wrote: »
    This is good advice. You can start at the bottom of a hill where the isn't much incline and after a while move up the hill and start where it's a bit steeper.
    Everyone gets a bit freaked out on hills.

Exactly.... You just have to look at faces in car parks to see the freaked out look if they have to stop on the hill.

Me... I have thank god never been bothered by hills because of this teaching. Mind you I believe its because I have always driven small cars so the car fits me like a glove. I wonder if I would be so relaxed in a 2ltr audi...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

Exactly.... You just have to look at faces in car parks to see the freaked out look if they have to stop on the hill.

Me... I have thank god never been bothered by hills because of this teaching. Mind you I believe its because I have always driven small cars so the car fits me like a glove. I wonder if I would be so relaxed in a 2ltr audi...

The principle is the same regardless of the car you drive. The key is clutch control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Jamie-b wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm having trouble with Hill starts. It is the one thing I am really bad at still. I was taught the following:
    1) Hand brake on
    2) Clutch in and select first
    3) Find the biting point
    4) Press accelerator to about 2 revs
    5) Hold feet still and release the handbrake and slowly move off.

I was with my Mam and she kept shouting take off the handbrake! and I cut out twice. I got really stressed out because I didnt understand what I was supposed to do and she couln't remember what she did.

I eventually manage but I seem to cut out a couple of times and then fly out too fast and jerk around for a bit!
    I especially hate when the car rolls back and my accompanying driver pulls up the handbrake- if someone is behind you you only have one more chance to get it right.

I know you'll all probably say practice, but all the "hills" that are quiet enough to practice on are no use- it is the steep ones turning out onto junctions that I have an issue with.
    Is it possible to hold the car with the clutch only on a very steep hill? I keep trying and messing this up.
    One example: A road I have to use a lot invoves stopping at the top of the hill and pulling out onto a main road. I need to be able to pull out to the junction very slowly so I can look to the left as you can't see around the corner. How do you inch out slowly on a hill?

I found as I practiced I could get moving quicker, i.e. less time with clutch and gas 'set' before dropping the handbrake. Practice, practice, practice and it will become second nature and be almost instantaneous. Inching out slowly on a hill is just the same principles - you might need more gas to get moving, the increased incline will stop you flying out.

In relation to cutting out/jerking - this is for me all about keeping your feet steady on the pedals as you move off when you have selected the correct clutch & gas point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭greenie

I learnt the way Mascot explained too and hills have never bothered me! EXCEPT...you know those covered parkings with all the levels, the one in Tallaght hospital to be specific..Oh God having to stop behind someone halfway to the second level..I just kept thinking that I was going to roll back...lol I was so glad no-one was behind me! I always wait now till the car in front has disappeared!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Everybody finds hill starts tough at first. But once you are familiar with the car (and with the clutch) they will be very easy.

If you have your handbrake on while waiting at lights, even on a flat surface, you are effectively doing a hillstart, as you take out the clutch until the car wants to move, and drop the handbrake. Do the exact same on hills, but give it a bit more gas (as the car has to overcome the incline of the hill).

Give it a while and the thought of not being able to do hill starts will be laughable!

Advertisement