Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glendalough - Monastic city bridge

Options
  • 15-03-2010 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know why this was taken down and the walkway though closed.
    I wouldn't think it was washed away or anything, the height of it above the water and perfectly intact foundations suggest it may just have been removed for some reason.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'd assumed it was either washed away or damaged so much that it had to be removed. It was certainly already gone on the 23rd January which was the last time I was around that way.

Also for some reason the bridge between the hotel car park and the visitor's centre was blocked off the last time I was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Alun wrote: »
    Also for some reason the bridge between the hotel car park and the visitor's centre was blocked off the last time I was there.

A lot of the hotel carpark was destroyed by the frost and ice causing it to collapse and has been fenced off, I assume that the closure of that bridge is related to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A lot of the hotel carpark was destroyed by the frost and ice causing it to collapse and has been fenced off, I assume that the closure of that bridge is related to this.
    Probably. There's no real reason for it really, probably just 'insurance issues' I'm guessing.

The hotel seems pretty slow at getting their car/coach park fixed though, and they also hadn't started on repairing the damage by the other entrance just over the bridge by the souvenir stand the last time I looked.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Alun wrote: »
    Probably. There's no real reason for it really, probably just 'insurance issues' I'm guessing.

The hotel seems pretty slow at getting their car/coach park fixed though, and they also hadn't started on repairing the damage by the other entrance just over the bridge by the souvenir stand the last time I looked.

I would assume that they just feel there is no need at the moment, with visitor numbers dropping and being 2off-season" currently. May as well wait till the weather warms up a bit.

The lake was still frozen 2 saturdays ago, though last sat it wasn't so its still pretty cold down there.

Advertisement