Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carrick Wheelers Cup - St. Patrick's Day

• 15-03-2010 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

So who's doing this one, at what level and what's the (realistic) objective.

I'm going in at A4 level and hope to finish within the bunch.

I see that they've stretch the A4 course to 80km. I would have thought that 2 laps (67km) would have been sufficient for A4. For me anyway!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭SACH Central

I'll be doing this, as an A4. 'Word on the street' is that the A3 & A4 groups will both start together. However, the A4 group will be neutralised until 'The Ormonde Stores', which is about at the half way point, lap wise. This means we will have to cover the full distance of 63 odd miles but will only race for 50 miles. It seems a bit messy to me. I think they're afraid of the A1's catching the A4's if they send off 3 or 4 seperate races. Personally, I couldn't see that happening as it's a 21 and a bit mile circuit.

The circuit itself is easy enough. The are two principal 'difficulties' per lap. The first is Sir John's Hill, the race starts & finishes at the top and Glenbower. They are something similar to the hills yesterday in Newbridge.

The race is run on good wide roads roads, main 'N' roads, with great marshalling. There are a few potholes coming into Carrick and on the bends approaching Sir John's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

I might be doing this one too alright! Depends on a minor injury niggle really, but hope to make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

I am going to give this one a lash too. First cycle race in quite some time. Looking forward to it though.

Gonna put myself into the A4 group and try to cling on in there. Key aim is to get around in one piece!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

They are giving wind and rain for Wednesday folks, be prepared for a f*cker of a head wind from the fingerpost back to Carrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

'Word on the street' is that the A3 & A4 groups will both start together. However, the A4 group will be neutralised until 'The Ormonde Stores', which is about at the half way point, lap wise.

Word of warning - if the race is neutralised till the ormonde stores the next two kilometres till the kilheffernan roundabout are not in great condition. lots of patched potholes, ruts by the side of the road and a fair bit of loose gravel. if at all possible dont let yourself get boxed in coming up the start as there could be carnage if the pace suddenly hots up as the flag is dropped. my advice is to stay on the outside if you arent up the front.

best of luck to all those competing

• Advertisement

From Carrick Website:
    CARRICK WHEELERS GET NEW SPONSOR FOR ST. PATRICK’S DAY RACE

By admin | March 6, 2010

Dan Morrissey Carrick Wheelers are delighted to announce that they have secured a new sponsor for their annual St. Patrick’s Day race, with Thompson Funeral Home of Waterford coming on board to back the famous race, now known as the Carrick Wheelers Cup.
    This will be the fifty fourth staging of a cycle race in Carrick on Suir on St. Patrick’s Day by Carrick Wheelers, with the series of races going back to 1955. As a point of interest, you may have figured out that two years are missing from the series, and this is because the race was postponed on two occasions, once when there was a few inches of snow on the course and another over the famous “foot and mouth” outbreak. However the race was held on a different date on each of those years, so this will be the fifty six staging of the race, which must be national record.
    More….
    This year’s race will again be held on the Glenbower circuit, with the start and finish now at the top of Sir John’s road for safety reasons. The 21 mile lap will bring the cyclists from Carrick to Glenbower, then left on to Kilheffernan roundabout and left again through Kilsheelan back to Carrick. This is a great circuit for spectators, as the small back roads though Ballyneale enable them to view the race a couple of times each lap and still get back to see the finish.
    After sign on at the Davin club on the Clonmel Road, racing will start at 12.00 noon sharp, and the cyclists will be divided into two separate races as per their new catagories, with the A1’s and A2’s starting first and doing three laps of the circuit. The A3’s and A4’s will then be neutralised to their start as they are restricted to 50 miles and will race for roughly two and a half laps of the same circuit, with both races finishing shortly after 2.30pm.
    Picking a likely winner of the races is always difficult, but early season form indicates that the new Cork city based Team Edge are likely to be the main challengers to the local Dan Morrissey Carrick Wheelers team. Martin O’Loughlin and Rory Wyley are now graded A2’s after their dominance of the veteran category last year, but are still very capable of challenging for victory in the main event, while Pat Kenneally, Cian Power and the evergreen Leslie O’Donnell will figure prominently in the support race. Best of luck to all the local riders, and hopefully we will have a safe, accident free day’s racing, and that all cyclists and spectators visiting Carrick will enjoy another cycle race on St. Patrick’s Day in our town.
    From Irish Cycling:
    CARRIG CUP IN CARRICK-ON-SUIR

Next port of call is Carrick-on-Suir which is home to the great man himself. It will always play a part in the life and history of the town long after all of us have passed on. Which brings to me to a most important development in the sponsorship of the Carrig Cup? Talk about pulling rabbits out of the hat! Stand up Paul Lonergan and take a bow. This year the event will be sponsored by a Waterford firm of undertakers, Thompson's Undertakers. At least on this occasion the recipients of the prizes will be around to collect their winnings. The Glenbower circuit will be at its best for the Carrig Cup and no doubt many a dream will be shattered depending on the fitness of the participants.

The Comeragh CC man Robin Kelly the defending champion will be focusing his mind on the event. Also if the man on the tannoy at the Carrick Davin GAA Club wants to make a name for himself, he could surely play 'The boys are back in town.' And who would they be?

Well during the off season a number of members from the Dan Morrissey/Carrick Wheelers CC hitched up their wagon to The Edge in Cork city. Mainly because all of them were from the county and that was the basic reason. Today they are still the best of friends with the Tipperary lads but life goes on and they can to a man thank their former club for a good grounding the sport. So, with Cheltenham and the racing in full swing it would do no harm if you asked your local bookmaker what the odds for a member of The Edge to be successful in the Carraig Cup. I can assure you the odds would be prohibitive! Rollout is mid-day with the A1 and 2's in for 63 miles and the A3 plus 50 miles and the man calling the proceedings will be none other than Paul Lonergan who in all probability will be wearing the dress code of the day for the occasion which by standards will be sombre until the race gets moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Dan Morrissey Carrick Wheelers are delighted to announce that they have secured a new sponsor for their annual St. Patrick’s Day race, with Thompson Funeral Home of Waterford coming on board to back the famous race, now known as the Carrick Wheelers Cup.

"And now a message from our sponsors...Take it handy on the descents, it's your funeral!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

With what I hear of some of the bike handling in the lower cats on display so far this year, it's not unrealistic for Thomspon to be expecting a lot of business from our kind.

Will be an interesting one though. I stuck the list of winners up on their website and it's impressive. Always a high calibre race.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    With what I hear of some of the bike handling in the lower cats on display so far this year, it's not unrealistic for Thomspon to be expecting a lot of business from our kind.

In the 2 races I've done so far this year there were no crashes in the a4/a3 whereas there were in the a2/a1, so I don't think it's entirely justified to say that crashes/ dodgy bike handling are confined to the lower categories.

In the 2 races I've done so far this year there were no crashes in the a4/a3 whereas there were in the a2/a1, so I don't think it's entirely justified to say that crashes/ dodgy bike handling are confined to the lower categories.

I agree. But I was talking about handling rather than crashes. The crashes tend to be big in the A1 races when they do occur, however the lower cats are undeniably far more "twitchy".

I will always remember a C race in wicklow where a guy wearing a tri club shirt pushed his way through the two riders at the front of the peleton, literally sat up and pushed them aside, one hand on each shoulder as he moved through the middle of them, before promptly sitting up and peeling a banana whilst the bunch hit the brakes. You couldn't make it up, I thought I was in a hidden camera show.

• Advertisement

That was fun! Did many others end up doing this race today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

That was fun!

Ah come on, don't be shy. Race report!

Nothing from me today, bunch finish. Lacey wins again in the main race, he's on some form at the moment! Not sure of the rest of the results yet as I didn't go to the prize giving. I think Robin Kelly may have got second, not sure though! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭showry

That was fun! Did many others end up doing this race today?

That was a rude awakening :(

got caught when it split on the second lap, nearly blew a gasket trying to get back on, failed, and spent the rest of the race with 2 or 3 of us towing around a dozen others. In fairness there were a couple of Limerick lads sharing the work.
    How did you get on H:Bh?

These things happen Showry, like I was telling you the other day, in a race like that it's all about positioning. You can be the strongest in the race watching a bunch of freds freewheeling in the bunch whilst you blow your load 20 yards back trying to get on again, after just being on the wrong wheel and losing concentration for a few seconds.

I wouldn't lose any sleep whatsover about it.

showry wrote: »
    How did you get on H:Bh?

Just a bunch finish for me. That hill up to the finish was actually harder than I expected it to be and it played a major role in deciding the final result!

Some stats: 98.9km (some of this was neutralised), 2hrs 38min, 37.5km/h average, 70.0km/h max (although I'm a bit suspicious about that being the actual max, seems quite high to be honest).

EDIT: Some results up on their Facebook page!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

Finished in what was left of the main bunch in the A3/4 race.

Bunch was down to about 50 from 110,the hill caught people every time. It didn't ease up over the top either...just click,click,click and away! The roads were very poor in places but going through the towns was fun..

No Carrig man in the break so they towed the bunch along.Good course and well marshalled with one crash taking down five or six on the last lap.
    Temperatures were up so the shorts were out -probably the highlight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rubs

Yeah I was n the A3/4 group today...first race of the year. Got caught rightly at the hill, wrong position an that was that. :mad:

Think I was in the same group as Showry.

Ah live and learn I suppose, great race though and nice route a bit of everything. :cool:

Roll on Carrigaline...does anybody know if the details for this one, i.e. seperate races for A3`s and A4`s??

Some pictures (nothing to do with me this time! ;))...results there too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Some pictures (nothing to do with me this time! ;))...results there too!

some great shots of that little spill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 82 ✭✭quintana2

sorry zipp 101 but your wrong about the roads i did not hear a call for a hole all day and believe me i saw every inch of that rd today. the organisers along with st co,co made sure there were no holes on the route of the race. sean lacey was a worthy winner today but robin kelly was very impressive in second place 63 miles and he never missed a beat when he hit his peak with his team mates ,gater , nugent, mc grath, quigs and co i think the edge will be under serious pressure!!!!! hopefully
    Zipp101 wrote: »
    Finished in what was left of the main bunch in the A3/4 race.

Bunch was down to about 50 from 110,the hill caught people every time. It didn't ease up over the top either...just click,click,click and away! The roads were very poor in places but going through the towns was fun..

No Carrig man in the break so they towed the bunch along.Good course and well marshalled with one crash taking down five or six on the last lap.
    Temperatures were up so the shorts were out -probably the highlight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I done the A3/A4 race and that was one tough race. Different to Banteer for me, tougher when it was tough (more hills), easier when it was easy. Am I making sense??

The neutralised start was pacey and only one poster mentioned how pacey it was in the race last week, I probably could have been caught here, so cheers. ;) Again, a bunch finish would have kept me happy.

The hill coming out of Carrick dropped most fellas. First time round I got dropped myself but manage to get into a group of 6 lads who pulled us back into the bunch before we got to the main road. Second time I was better place and got up the hill in a way better position. I got on to the main road and I believe I was nicely placed to reach my target until that spill happened. I ended up veering into the ditch and lost the group. I wouldn't mind but I saw the accident way off but still got veered towards it.

P1ssed off it happened, as I felt good then, even better than the lap earlier, for whatever reason. But sh1t happens and I will sleep tonight!! No one seemed to be seriously injured in the spill, a couple of scratches is all.

The stats (for when I was involed) are 65km distance, ave 37.2kph, ave HR161, HR193, ave cad 92.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Huff n Puff

I was in with the A3/A4 group today. It was my first cycle race and it took me 20 miles before I settled down. I found it hard to hold my race position and constantly found myself creeping towards the back of the pack. I eventually got the hang of it though and even managed to get in 1 or 2 small break aways on laps 2 and 3.

I was about 6th or 7th over the line in the bunch sprint which I was happy with. My legs were getting very tired then but I am a small ****e, carrying just 8 stone 10 up the hills, so that helped a lot!

I thought the roads were decent quality and really enjoyed the race.

Well done to everyone who took part!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

I was unable to make it, but our club had a very good day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/St-Finbarrs-Cycling-Club/124680631929?ref=ts

I will be in Minane Bridge next Sunday for The Edge race though.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rubs

Does anybody have any details on the race in Cork this week.?...race lenght, catagories and type of terrain?

Cheers

@ rubs: I just found a leaflet I got at the Lacey Cup about this race in Cork (Edge Sports Shop race) and scanned it in and attached it to a new thread here as it is off topic in this thread! Hope this helps ;)

My race report, and it doesn't make pretty reading, is as follows:

I personally think it was a mistake, especially with such a big turn out, grouping the A3's & A4's. They could have let the A4's race over 2 laps and halved both groups. It was pretty crazy, some really dangerous riding, I had to do some dodgy manoeuvres myself. Maybe on the day itself I just didn't have the stomach or nerve to put myself in danger, I don't know.

My race started well enough. I started the neutralised section right on the front and, despite loads of guys riding up the wrong side of the road and then turning 90 degree left when a car approached, managed to hold my position fairly well. I was happy with how I was feeling once the race proper started. I managed to get in 2 moves, both which came to nothing. Maybe it was the wind or whatever, but I felt that it was relatively easy to hold position in the bunch. However when I found myself slipping back it was really difficult to move back up, hence the dodgy manoeuvres. I thought it was bedlam on the approach to Carrick on the first lap. I was in a good enough position but it seemed to me that two groups formed, one on either side of the traffic islands! I was on the inside at this point and when the two groups converged, with all the braking etc, suddenly I was in the rear third of the group.

My race went down hill fast from here. We came to a virtual standstill going under the railway bridge. I think it was a combination of the bend and the road surface. When I got going I had a really hard chase up the hill. I was within about 10 MTRS of getting back on when my progress was blocked by 4 or 5 riders all across the road. In the couple of seconds it took me to get past, the bunch had dissapeared. I chased them, along with 3 or 4 others until the bottom of the Glenbower hill. I gave it everything on the hill but couldn't catch them. I was now in no mans land. I was never going to catch them on my own so I sat up and waited for a group following behind. We worked well enough and had the bunch at about 200 MTRS before the Kilheffernan roundabout when all of a sudden we stopped working, or the chase fizzled out, or whatever.

That was the last I saw of the bunch! There was 4 or 5 of us left and we rode the rest of the race together. I rode in the hope that there would be a massive stall or 3 and we would catch them up! All in all a race to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

They could have let the A4's race over 2 laps and halved both groups.

I 100% totally agree, even was thinking of this before the race started. Don't worry, it will stand to us. Somehow. Somewhere. :rolleyes:

I 100% totally agree, even was thinking of this before the race started. Don't worry, it will stand to us. Somehow. Somewhere. :rolleyes:

Next up for me is Ras Luimni, Sunday week. Maybe there?!

• Advertisement

All in all a race to forget.

Not to worry, everyone has a few. In much the same way that having a great race depends to some extent on being in the right place at the right time, a poor race can be just down to being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I wasn't there myself cos I'm sick with feckin tonsillitis, but as jdt101 already mentioned, our club had a great day.

I was never going to catch them on my own so I sat up and waited for a group following behind. We worked well enough and had the bunch at about 200 MTRS before the Kilheffernan roundabout when all of a sudden we stopped working, or the chase fizzled out, or whatever.

That was the last I saw of the bunch! There was 4 or 5 of us left and we rode the rest of the race together. I rode in the hope that there would be a massive stall or 3 and we would catch them up! All in all a race to forget.

Sounds exactly like my race SACH Central, I reckon we might have been in the same group, were there any Dungarvan riders with you?

Sounds exactly like my race SACH Central, I reckon we might have been in the same group, were there any Dungarvan riders with you?

Yes! There were 2 there 'till the end and maybe another couple earlier.

Yes! There were 2 there 'till the end and maybe another couple earlier.

that was me and my uncle then, he wouldn't let me pack it in :D
    we got a good training spin out of it in the end I suppose. I really thought we were going to get back on but there wasn't enough willing to work. Disappointing.

that was me and my uncle then, he wouldn't let me pack it in :D
    we got a good training spin out of it in the end I suppose. I really thought we were going to get back on but there wasn't enough willing to work. Disappointing.

How the hell were ye dropped? Ye practically towed us around most of the way. Was it you I suggested to that we take a short cut through Kilsheelin? I found out after the race that that's where most of the 'back markers' dissapeared to. I thought we dropped them. Turns out they turned left down past the commissare, who had parked his car at the turn, met the bunch and rejoined the race!

How the hell were ye dropped? Ye practically towed us around most of the way. Was it you I suggested to that we take a short cut through Kilsheelin? I found out after the race that that's where most of the 'back markers' dissapeared to. I thought we dropped them. Turns out they turned left down past the commissare, who had parked his car at the turn, met the bunch and rejoined the race!

same as yourself - in the wrong place at the wrong time. Lesson learnt. That was me you made the suggestion to alright. You'll be glad I kept you honest later in the year :rolleyes:
    I hadn't planned on going to Cork on Sunday but I might, just to exorcise that race. Herself will have a fit.

• Advertisement

Herself will have a fit.

Thats why I'm leaving it until Limerick on Sunday week!

Advertisement