Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else find Mastodon just unbearable?

Options
  • 15-03-2010 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

I have tried, how I have tried to get into this band.

I keep giving them chances but I have decided that they are just terrible.
    Anyone feel like this.

WTF???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I only really like Crack the Skye so not a huge fan of their general stuff...

in saying that I do REALLY like that 1 album

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I only really like Crack the Skye so not a huge fan of their general stuff...

in saying that I do REALLY like that 1 album

Totally agree, their last ablum was really good, although alot of Mastadon fans hate it! really do think they are so over rated!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Leviathan is an absolute masterpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Totally agree, their last ablum was really good, although alot of Mastadon fans hate it! really do think they are so over rated!!
    Apparently its a massive change of direction musically. Makes sense I dont think much of their back catalog so..

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

I think their last 3 albums are absolutley spectacular (not so much a fan of Remission, although it has some great songs), they've evolved so much as a band in such a short space of time it's unbelieveable.

In the beginning they were just another Converge type MetalCore act (with some proggy tendancies), but album after album they've refined their songwriting, their musicianship, their vocals and now they're in a class of their own.
    Every band out there strives for their own individual sound & Mastodon have definitly achieved that instantly recognisable sound.

Personally I don't think there's a better Metal drummer than Brann Dailor out there today, or a metal guitarist with more interesting licks & riffs than Brent Hinds. It's refreshing to hear guys coming from completely different musical backgrounds to the norm.

As with everything else some people will 'get' it, some won't...

Personally I don't 'get' Slayer or Pantera or a multitude of other supposed legends of metal, but that's my cross to bear.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

No. I think they are pretty damn awesome, their level of musicianship and song writing is unbelievable. If you don't like them, don't listen to them. Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Leviathan is an absolute masterpiece.

+1, love it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

I think Crack The Skye is excellent ... , anything else Ive listened to by them I wasn't too bothered with ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

I have tried, how I have tried to get into this band.

I keep giving them chances but I have decided that they are just terrible.
    Anyone feel like this.

WTF???

I'll agree that some of Mastodon's stuff can be a little harder to get into but that really is a bad example. Even that sounded great, the solo in itself is fantastic.

Mastodon do give off a bit of a marmite vibe though, you'll find you're not the only one that dislikes them.

Iron Tusk from Leviathan is a more bread and butter song if you get me, it's hard not to like it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭kevin_de_big

Remission and Leviathan are masterpieces. I'm ambivalent about their later material.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I never really got into this band that much, although they have some good songs here and there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I just couldn't get into them. I had people go on about them to me, but I just couldn't like them, no matter how hard I tried ;___;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

I got into them after Blood Mountain. Their newer albums I find are better than their older ones. Especially crack the Skye. They're one of the few bands that have evolved their music style and gotten better as they went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Denny M wrote: »
    I just couldn't get into them. I had people go on about them to me, but I just couldn't like them, no matter how hard I tried ;___;

Well try harder!!! :D

Aye can get why folks either love or hate 'em tho. Fukkin great in Marlay Park they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

They were great I thought. Though a mate of mine thought they were crap. He didn't stay a mate for long! ;-p
    They played a blinder of a set but there was absolutely no crowd interaction. But they're sorta known for that

EDIT: Karl, can you do your mod edit magic to the title?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Blood Mountain and Leviathan for me. I usually like more progressive and melodic music, but Crack the Skye never clicked with me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Crack the Skye...one of my favourite albums. Love it! All great songs. Love the progressive element. Prob best metal band for me, past and present.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

I really like this band. Love how they have evolved from ablum to album and really enjoy how they use there instrumentation to really enhance their lyrics as opposed to just wrapping the lyrics around any old riff. As has been mentioned before, they really are a band of great musicans.

Saying that, I can see why people can't get into them. The lack of crowd interacting at Marlay park last year is one of the complants that my friend made about them, although I think letting the music speak for itself is better than stupid stage gimmicks ( Avenged Sevenfold i'm looking at you:p). Their themes and music can be quite difficult to get into as well, but it is well worth the effort as they are one the most exciting bands out there at the moment (imo).

Can't wait to cacht them live again, hopefully they will swing our way again before the end of the year.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Smart Bug wrote: »

NEVAR! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Crack the Skye is definitely a grower. Ironically that guitar lesson vid made me appreciate that song more!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Mastodon are IMO one of the best bands on the planet at the moment. I love all of their albums but especially their debut Remission and the newest Crack The Skye. I for one dont think they got better since they started, they've just been experimenting with their sound on every album, each one being a masterpiece in its own (excuse the fanboy-ism lol)

Crack The Skye was really something special and unexpected. Who knows how the f*ck they're going to top that one!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

I love Crack the Skye! I've seen them live a few times, and have always left kinda underwhelmed, but I'll always go back to their albums :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I liek them but I dont like all of their songs.
    I do like how they have their own distinct sound though, so they get an A+ for originality.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

WHY have I seen them twice?! :rolleyes:

Rubbish, noisy, non cohesive music and also the ugliest, ginger-est band in rock. The huge piercings in their saggy ear lobes make me ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Moojuice wrote: »
    If you don't like them, don't listen to them. Simple.

Yes, thats what ive decided. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Lil Kitten wrote: »
    WHY have I seen them twice?! :rolleyes:

Rubbish, noisy, non cohesive music and also the ugliest, ginger-est band in rock. The huge piercings in their saggy ear lobes make me ill.

Boo, hiss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Remission is an album i only recently got a hard copy of and it's great.

Leviathan is probably for me the best album of the noughties.

I wasn't mad on Blood Mountain but outside their back catalogue it's still decent.

I thought Crack The Skye was very good but i've cooled on it a bit recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Smart Bug wrote: »
    Fukkin great in Marlay Park they were.

That's what eventually put me off

Such a great performance ruined by such a silent performance....there were people in the crowd so very upset, including myself mind, that they just didn't speak to the crowd at all during their performance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

+1, love it :)
    Schism wrote: »
    I'll agree that some of Mastodon's stuff can be a little harder to get into but that really is a bad example. Even that sounded great, the solo in itself is fantastic.

Mastodon do give off a bit of a marmite vibe though, you'll find you're not the only one that dislikes them.

Iron Tusk from Leviathan is a more bread and butter song if you get me, it's hard not to like it!
    Remission and Leviathan are masterpieces. I'm ambivalent about their later material.

/EDIT: oh and there spelled M-A-S-T-O-D-O-N

When I started listing to them I found CTS and leviathan the best but lately I have been listing to a lot of blood mountain but needless to say there are my favourate band and I did go to mancherster just so I could see them live (and molest brent hinds as is on youtube :pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

that they just didn't speak to the crowd at all during their performance

Is that such a bad thing though. I would have thought most go to a concert for the music.

"Hello *insert city*"

Advertisement