Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pick your Argentina team for South Africa.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Zanetti, Samuel, Milito are three pretty decent options out of a four man back line.

Has to be Camb and Masch in midfield - Veron really shouldn't be mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

gosplan wrote: »
    Zanetti, Samuel, Milito are three pretty decent options out of a four man back line.

Has to be Camb and Masch in midfield - Veron really shouldn't be mentioned.

If it's a 4-4-2 you're talking, I think you're mental. What's Masch and Cambiasso going to do, play 5 yard balls to each other? Neither is creative enough to split a defence at a World Cup. Plenty of artisan, not enough artist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Only Milito of the Inter quartet is being considered.

Forget about Cambiasso, Samuel and Zanetti.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

kinaldo wrote: »
    Only Milito of the Inter quartet is being considered.

Forget about Cambiasso, Samuel and Zanetti.

Yeah was just looking over the squad that played Germany in a friendly in March which is apparently pretty much the squad he is rumoured to be choosing. Pretty ridiculous that the Inter players aren't even in the reckoning for a spot.

Cambiasso has never featured under Maradonna, Zanetti has, but has been frozen out recently and will most likely won't be named in the squad. I'm not sure how much Samuel has played under Maradonna.

TBH, Maradonna doesn't deserve to be manager of Argentina, they have amazing potential and should be among the favourites, but due to some crazy selection policies and silly infighting will be lucky to get out of the groups.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Zanetti -- Samuel -- Militto -- Heinze

Masch
    Baldy

Messi
    Di Maria

Tevez

Militto

Kun/Lavezzi as backup for Tevez.

Lisandro/Higuain as backup for the Prince.

Maxi Rodríguez/Santana as backup for Messi

Delgado/Perotti as backup for Di Maria

Lucho Gonzalez/Battaglia/Gago/Veron/Ledesma/Aimar for backup/tactical changes for the DM/CM/AMC spots.

Insua/Ansaldi backup LB.

Zab/Ansaldi backup RB

Burdisso/Demichelis/Otamendi/Coloccini/Cata Diaz/Schiavi ac back up CB's.

I have no idea what keeper should be starting but Andújar, Romero and Carrizo as my 3 GK's for the wc squad.

The players I'v listed would be the players I'd be picking my final 23 from if I was doing the picking.

In reality, he'll end up bringing Spiderman, Ortega, Palermo, Fede Insua, and a few other old chums of his, play a flat 3, have half his team out of position and make a total arse of it, as it Deigo's style.

Would be their best line-up. they won't play that way though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Would have though kun would have been one of the first on the team sheet what with the whole first granchild thing.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Would have though kun would have been one of the first on the team sheet what with the whole first granchild thing.

I'd have Tevez and Militto ahead of Kun on form.

This is my pick, not who I think WILL go to SA or play.

Higuaín is better than Milito and will rightfully play.

Higuaín is better than Milito and will rightfully play.

Milito deserves to start IMHO.

top scorer for League champions and Champions league finalists. Leads the line well, stronger, better in the air.

Seaneh wrote:
    Milito will score more goals at international level.

According to Wikipedia, Milito has a paltry 4 goals in 21 internationals.

He's had his chances.

Meanwhile Higuaín has 2 goals in 4 games. (shocking that Maradona took so long to give him an opportunity)

• Advertisement

Higuaín has 25 league goals and is still in with a chance of winning el Pichichi and la Liga.

Up until a couple of games ago he had a phenomenal strike rate of 1 goal every 75 mins.

Higuaín has 25 league goals and is still in with a chance of winning el Pichichi and la Liga.

Up until a couple of games ago he had a phenomenal strike rate of 1 goal every 75 mins.

2009 el Pichichi, 32 goals.(Forlan)
    2009 capocannonieri, 25 goals. (ibra)

2008 el Pichichi, 27 goals.(Guiza)
    2008 capocannonieri, 21 goals.(Del Piero)

Generally, strikers score more goals in spain, this doesn't mean they are better strikers, because if it did, it would mean Mario Jardel was the best striker in the world when he scored 42 goals in 30 games in 01-02 for sporting, and we all know that just isn't true. Some leagues are easier to score in, and some teams are totally dependant on one player to score their goals, as real are with Higuain.

Also, what chance does he have? You really think he is going to score 5 goals in his next game?

Aaaallllllllllllllssooooooooo.

The spanish league has been a bit of a joke this year.
    Valencia, in 3rd place are, are 24 points beind second place, WTF?

The standard of La Liga besides the top two is a disgrace.

Just more on the "la liga is a crap league" factor here.

Gap between 1st and 3rd in La Liga, 25points.
    Gap between 1st and 3rd in Serie A, 09points.

England, 11 points.

Gap between 1st and 8th in La Liga, 40points.
    Gap between 1st and 8th in Serie A, 28points.

England, 25points.

Gap between 1st and 20th in La Liga, 60points.
    Gap between 1st and 20th in Serie A, 47points.

England, 55 (not including the -9point deduction handed to Portsmouth).

Serie A is harder to score in, more evenly matched and more competitive.

Seaneh wrote: »
    2009 el Pichichi, 32 goals.(Forlan)
    2009 capocannonieri, 25 goals. (ibra)

2008 el Pichichi, 27 goals.(Guiza)
    2008 capocannonieri, 21 goals.(Del Piero)

Generally, strikers score more goals in spain, this doesn't mean they are better strikers, because if it did, it would mean Mario Jardel was the best striker in the world when he scored 42 goals in 30 games in 01-02 for sporting, and we all know that just isn't true. Some leagues are easier to score in, and some teams are totally dependant on one player to score their goals, as real are with Higuain.

Also, what chance does he have? You really think he is going to score 5 goals in his next game?

Aaaallllllllllllllssooooooooo.

The spanish league has been a bit of a joke this year.
    Valencia, in 3rd place are, are 24 points beind second place, WTF?

The standard of La Liga besides the top two is a disgrace.
    I'm not going to bother comparing the leagues as I only rate Serie A to be marginally better than the Bundesliga.

Higuaín is only 4 goals behind Messi with 3 games to go.

Real aren't totally dependant upon him. Ronaldo also has 22 goals in 26.

The standard isn't worse - the fact is Barca have Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Ibra at their disposal, while Real had to spend 250 million just to keep up. How on earth are the likes of Valencia meant to compete with that? Real and Barca right now would dominate any league.

And back on topic, Milito's international record is rubbish.

Fact is, Higuaín is unstoppable right now and just gets better and better every year and Maradona has now accepted that.

Serie A is harder to score in
    This was proved recently to be a myth. When comparing the amount of goals scored in each of the top leagues over the past few seasons, there was almost nothing between England, Spain and Italy.

I'm not going to bother comparing the leagues as I only rate Serie A to be marginally better than the Bundesliga.

Higuaín is only 4 goals behind Messi with 3 games to go.

Real aren't totally dependant upon him. Ronaldo also has 22 goals in 26.

The standard isn't worse - the fact is Barca have Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Ibra at their disposal, while Real had to spend 250 million just to keep up. How on earth are the likes of Valencia meant to compete with that? Real and Barca right now would dominate any league.

And back on topic, Milito's international record is rubbish.

Fact is, Higuaín is unstoppable right now and just gets better and better every year and Maradona has now accepted that.

Last year. First place team in spain, Goals for, 105. Last place team, 34.
    difference, 71 goals.

Italy, first place, goals for 70. last place team, 37, difference, 33.

I think that alone proves that it's always been easier to score in Spain. Infact, the top scorer in Serie A has only been higher than the top scorer in spain two seasons in the last 8!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Last year. First place team in spain, Goals for, 105. Last place team, 34.
    difference, 71 goals.

Italy, first place, goals for 70. last place team, 37, difference, 33.

I think that alone proves that it's always been easier to score in Spain. Infact, the top scorer in Serie A has only been higher than the top scorer in spain two seasons in the last 8!

You can fúck about with numbers and come to all sorts of conclusions though. For example, Chelsea have put 7 past 3 teams in the EPL this season and one of those teams - Villa - were challenging for a CL spot until the weekend, and thats a Chelsea side that many consider to be considerably weaker than in previous seasons. Biggest winning margin in La Liga this season was by 6 goals when Real Madrid played Zaragoza. Compare that to Spurs beating Wigan 9-1. As good as Spurs have been this season they are hardly the attacking threat Real Madrid or Barcelona are.

Also, the average goals per game is slightly higher in the EPL this season than in La Liga.

Your "La Liga is crap factor" is based on laughably flawed logic and is a load of bollocks really, Eamonn.

My La Liga is crap is based on the difference between first and 3rd place being 25 points. Which is SPL levels of stupidity.

So you expect Valencia and Sevilla and the like to really be able to compete with Real's millions and perhaps the greatest and most talented Barca team ever??

How do you explain Milito's slightly pathetic and mediocre international goal record?

• Advertisement

I think Milito is maybe a slightly better finisher. But I think Higuain is defo faster and more mobile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Ush1 wrote: »
    If it's a 4-4-2 you're talking, I think you're mental. What's Masch and Cambiasso going to do, play 5 yard balls to each other? Neither is creative enough to split a defence at a World Cup. Plenty of artisan, not enough artist.

Nope, 4-3-3 but I'd love to see an insane 4-2-4. Let's hope Maradona takes something from the Ozzie Ardeles school of coaching. :D

Regardless, I don't think Argentina will struggle to create.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I think Milito is maybe a slightly better finisher. But I think Higuain is defo faster and more mobile.
    Higuaín's finishing, left foot or right foot, has been unbelievable.

Based on the last 2 seasons only David Villa is now arguably a better finisher in la Liga.

Higuaín's finishing, left foot or right foot, has been unbelievable.

Based on the last 2 seasons only David Villa is now arguably a better finisher in la Liga.

I think he is a good finisher but think that Villa and Milito generally get less chances in a match.

I would personally go for Higuain anyway.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah was just looking over the squad that played Germany in a friendly in March which is apparently pretty much the squad he is rumoured to be choosing. Pretty ridiculous that the Inter players aren't even in the reckoning for a spot.

Cambiasso has never featured under Maradonna, Zanetti has, but has been frozen out recently and will most likely won't be named in the squad. I'm not sure how much Samuel has played under Maradonna.

TBH, Maradonna doesn't deserve to be manager of Argentina, they have amazing potential and should be among the favourites, but due to some crazy selection policies and silly infighting will be lucky to get out of the groups.

Walter Samuel played against Germany in the last friendly.

Advertisement