Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BURZUM - Belus

• 15-03-2010 11:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Ok I understand that their might not be many Burzum Fans in this Forum, But just got Vargs lastest offering and im seriously surprised!! I obsolutely love it, considering the muck he released when in prison! but the man still has it, he has improved alot on the guitar and the atmosphere is fu4kin ace!! So I would deffo recommend this to any Burzum fan!!!:D

Burzum_Belus.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭anti-venom

Does the fact that Varg Vikernes is a racist, sexist moron not bother anyone who might be interested in buying his music? Do his political and personal beliefs not figure when you decide to give him your hard earned dosh by buying his music? And if they do figure, then how do you justify it to youself that you might be funding this guys political activities?

There is something of great interest in his music - he is somewhat talented - but I can't seperate the music from the racist. The two don't stand alone. I was hoping he would fade away into a quite existence on his isolated farm but I'll bet we will see, in the not too distant future, a resurgence of Varg the racist ideologue. Already some neo-nazi groups have expressed their admiration for this character and are celebrating his release.

Just wondering if there's any opinions on this angle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

I got this at the weekend myself and I thinks its great after a few spins. I have only started listening to Burzum\ Black metal in the past few months and have to say I do like the majority of Burzum's stuff.

That is not to take away from the fact that Varg is a complete bellend of the highest order when it comes to his political\racist views. I wouldnt have thought he would earn much money from this album seeing as he owes the Norwegian government millions.

To the majority of people its about his music not his ideals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭GrizzlyMan

I actually expected to get some replys in relation to Varg as a person, his past, views etc!!!

I do think he was way ahead of his time as a musican, although I understand were you are coming from, I dont speak Norweign and all of Belus is in his native Language, so what he is singing about doesnt mean jack sh*t to me.

Most Extreme Metal is about everything and anything.....hatred, murder, depression, massare, genocide satanism etc. (as im sure you know) but nobody is gonna believe or act on any of these topics (apart from idiots).

In no way am I defending Varg...personally I think he is exactly the way you have described him...but I cant help but love the atmosphere he creates with his music (apart from the albums he released in prison) So i would still recommend you give it a listen:D

Also I just Read that: "Burzum “Belus” proceeds to Haiti earthquake victims"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Varg may be a neo nazi douche but he is also a very talented musician.Ive been listening to Belus quite a bit over the last week and have been very very impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

anti-venom wrote: »
    Does the fact that Varg Vikernes is a racist, sexist moron not bother anyone who might be interested in buying his music? Do his political and personal beliefs not figure when you decide to give him your hard earned dosh by buying his music? And if they do figure, then how do you justify it to youself that you might be funding this guys political activities?

There is something of great interest in his music - he is somewhat talented - but I can't seperate the music from the racist. The two don't stand alone. I was hoping he would fade away into a quite existence on his isolated farm but I'll bet we will see, in the not too distant future, a resurgence of Varg the racist ideologue. Already some neo-nazi groups have expressed their admiration for this character and are celebrating his release.

Just wondering if there's any opinions on this angle?

regarding people being inspired by his ideology there will always be a minority who are attracted to the extreme for specific reasons. however, i think most people appreciate him for his music rather than his right -wing beliefs.

i don't have any difficulty listening to his music because you would limit yourself if you allowed a persons private life to influence your choices. as it's often the case that those who produce great works are not exemplary characters by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Would you listen to his stuff if he was a pedo?

filosofem was a great album for its' era though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

well, i enjoyed The Pianist and the Peaceful Warrior. It doesn't mean i condone what either of the directors did in their personal lives. So, to answer your question, yes i would listen to his music.

Bambi wrote: »

Well how many people still dance to Triller:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I've never really got into Burzum that much, but I did download their albums recently and they were quite good, but not quite good enough for me to buy them. 'Belus' has at least two songs I really like 'River of Forgetfulness and Belus' Death' but that is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

GrizzlyMan wrote: »
    Well how many people still dance to Triller:D

In all fairness jackson didnt make a career out of espousing kiddy fiddling. Plus thriller is way better than any thing vikernes will ever do:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭winter soldier

Bambi wrote: »

filosofem was a great album for its' era though.

actually there was a doom metal band called The League of Gentlemen from belguim where the lead singer was convicted of being a paedo ( he even made home videos of himself committing the crime, on young girls no less) and to be honest if i could get my hands on the only album they ever released i would be happy. it got great reviews in the metal press.

actually there was a doom metal band called The League of Gentlemen from belguim where the lead singer was convicted of being a paedo ( he even made home videos of himself committing the crime, on young girls no less) and to be honest if i could get my hands on the only album they ever released i would be happy. it got great reviews in the metal press.

And would the sound of that bastards voice not repulse you every time you heard it? Anyway, I'm not surprised you're having difficulty finding the album since the band's name was actually 'Thee Plague of Gentlemen'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

To be fair, I think most people that even listen to his music think that Varg is absolutely bat-**** insane and pay no heed to his views at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

I listen to black metal but I don't wear corpse paint or any of that ****e. I listen to burzum but I'm not gonna go out and burn down a church. About his political views, the one thing I remember him saying is that he wanted to see Norway return to it's pagan roots and that christianity was corrupt. Ireland was a pagan country too but I don't see a return to paganism any time soon. Basically, I don't give a fcuk about anyone's political views.

I do however feel that christanity is not a religion, it's a business and like any other busniess, it's main goal is to make money. Isn't worshipping false gods a sin? Christanity stamped out the pagans worshipping statues and deities. So what's up with your christ on the cross in a church? Is that not Idolatry? The pagans had an alter of worship and purified themselves with water so christanity in an attempt to convert pagans and not not totally alienate them, simply borrorowed from the pagan rituals and made them christian rituals. Easter, and December 25 were pagan dates. Easter being a ritual symbolizing fertility. And December 25 being changed by the Roman Emperor when Romans converted to Christanity (Constantine) to be the date of the birth of a man (not a god) called Jesus. The xmas tree is pagan too. In Fore, Westmeath, there's a tree that people have hung bits of ribbons, personal items on, coins etc to bring them luck. As far as religion goes and god and heaven, I don't believe anything I can't see with my own 2 eyes. I don't claim to be an expert on this, it's just my opinions. Check it out for yourself, do some research and don't be a hypocritical sheep following the herd into mass every sunday, confessing sins, when you know you were out the previous night, doing who knows what. Confessing your sins only leaves you free to do the same thing again.

bl8ckh8art wrote: »
    I listen to black metal but I don't wear corpse paint or any of that ****e. I listen to burzum but I'm not gonna go out and burn down a church. About his political views, the one thing I remember him saying is that he wanted to see Norway return to it's pagan roots and that christianity was corrupt. Ireland was a pagan country too but I don't see a return to paganism any time soon. Basically, I don't give a fcuk about anyone's political views.

I do however feel that christanity is not a religion, it's a business and like any other busniess, it's main goal is to make money. Isn't worshipping false gods a sin? Christanity stamped out the pagans worshipping statues and deities. So what's up with your christ on the cross in a church? Is that not Idolatry? The pagans had an alter of worship and purified themselves with water so christanity in an attempt to convert pagans and not not totally alienate them, simply borrorowed from the pagan rituals and made them christian rituals. Easter, and December 25 were pagan dates. Easter being a ritual symbolizing fertility. And December 25 being changed by the Roman Emperor when Romans converted to Christanity (Constantine) to be the date of the birth of a man (not a god) called Jesus. The xmas tree is pagan too. In Fore, Westmeath, there's a tree that people have hung bits of ribbons, personal items on, coins etc to bring them luck. As far as religion goes and god and heaven, I don't believe anything I can't see with my own 2 eyes. I don't claim to be an expert on this, it's just my opinions. Check it out for yourself, do some research and don't be a hypocritical sheep following the herd into mass every sunday, confessing sins, when you know you were out the previous night, doing who knows what. Confessing your sins only leaves you free to do the same thing again.

Well said bl8ckh8art:D

And would the sound of that bastards voice not repulse you every time you heard it? Anyway, I'm not surprised you're having difficulty finding the album since the band's name was actually 'Thee Plague of Gentlemen'.

thanks factchecker for the heads-up. if we didnt have people like anti-venom around the world would be a lot worse off. and a repulsive sounding voice in the world of extreme metal??? perish the thought!!!

thanks factchecker for the heads-up. if we didnt have people like anti-venom around the world would be a lot worse off. and a repulsive sounding voice in the world of extreme metal??? perish the thought!!!

Hey, if you want to listen to a kiddle fiddler go ahead and knock yourself out. I wasn't refering to the quality of his voice you thick numpty. And yeah get YOUR FACTS RIGHT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

To be fair, I think most people that even listen to his music think that Varg is absolutely bat-**** insane and pay no heed to his views at all.

Well put

Hey, if you want to listen to a kiddle fiddler go ahead and knock yourself out. I wasn't refering to the quality of his voice you thick numpty. And yeah get YOUR FACTS RIGHT.

its called a joke you retard. and its "kiddie" not "kiddle" by the way. and why are you all upset about it anyway. does it bring back happy/unhappy (delete where applicable) memories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Easy lads, we are trying to talk about the music, not the morals of a Norwegian. Or a Belgian for that matter. "Trolling" isn't gonna help anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Hey, if you want to listen to a kiddle fiddler go ahead and knock yourself out.
    If you can't seperate the art from the artist, your loss your missing out on some great things, considering how a lot of the most talanted people are mad as a bag of spiders.

If you heard an album, seen a film, or seen a painting and thought it was amazing, if the artist later was found to be a rapist or a murderer, would that change your opinion on the piece of art?

Wouldn't affect me in the slightest to be honest, still a great piece of art.

Pugsley wrote: »
    If you can't seperate the art from the artist, your loss your missing out on some great things, considering how a lot of the most talanted people are mad as a bag of spiders.

If you heard an album, seen a film, or seen a painting and thought it was amazing, if the artist later was found to be a rapist or a murderer, would that change your opinion on the piece of art?

Wouldn't affect me in the slightest to be honest, still a great piece of art.

Chinatown, Rosemarys Baby and Fearless Vampire Killers three great movies directed by Roman Polanski, he sexually assaulted a 13 year old girl in the 70's yet i still watch his movies, Ike Turner beat up Tina on a regular basis but yet he wrote and sang some great songs with her as well as writing and playing Rocket Number 88 which is considered the first recorded rock n roll tune. I still pay him respect for being a talented artist. There are lots of people in the world of music that personally I would'nt want to know or find parts of their past quite despicable yet they still make great art thats appreciated by lots of people, and if I can find that one album by Thee Plague of Gentlemen (thanks fact-checker Venom) then all the better for me. Doom on!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

That was pretty much the point I was going to bring up, Winter Soldier. As a film fanatic, I count Roman Polanski as one of the greatest directors who ever lived, and his films are often absolute masterpieces. Yet I don't condone what he did. I seperate the art from the artist, and say that I hold Polanski the artist in extremely high regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

I think I might be the only one disappointed with this album. It just seems like he hasn't really written anything new to me, it sounds exactly like his old stuff... Now alot of people will obviously like the fact that he hasn't changed, but I personally prefer artists and bands that don't stick to the same sound the whole time.

Advertisement