Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange power loss on Primera.

• 15-03-2010 11:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Had a very odd experience this morning on the drive to work and I'm wondering should I be worried.
    Basically, I came out of a junction, changed gear and suddenly my car had virtually no power.
    The engine was revving to 1500 RPM, no matter what gear I put it in, or in neutral and it was barely able to move the car.
    Also the little yellow engine light came on.
    I limped to a garage forecourt and turned the engine off.
    Looked under the bonnet to see if I could see anything that may have fallen loose but I know very little about engines.
    My passenger told me it could be an airlock.
    Anyway, after about 2 minutes I restarted the engine, full power was restored but the engine light was still on.
    should I be worried or could it just be an airlock.
    Last week the tank was down to its last mile before I filled it so this may have some bearing on the issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Just a quick addendum, I started it up again at lunchtime and it seems to be getting full revs but the engine light is still on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

It sounds like the engine management went into a "limp mode", hence the power loss. This will happen when it thinks there's something seriously wrong and that normal driving conditions may cause damage to the engine or other components. It's hard to say what caused it.

The light's still on because either a fault has been recorded or there's still something wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Best to get it checked out by a mechanic, as you could be
    driving home grand but tomorrow morning it'll come back be
    revving like like mad with loss of power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭jimoc

Thanks for the info, never knew cars had a 'limp mode' but then again my wife knows more about cars then I do :)
    Anyway, I rang my friendly mobile mechanic and he's gonna come and check it out with the diag kit on Friday, or earlier if it happens again.

Hopefully its something simple and cheap.

Advertisement