Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB-Deposit

Options
  • 15-03-2010 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

I registered with the ESB in 2007 and paid a deposit. Moved house in 2008 and called them up and they said they transferred the deposit over to the new address rather than refund and me pay it again.

Moving to Airtricity. Called up looking for deposit back and they said I never paid one. They said this is because I set up a direct debit from the beginning.

I am sure I have paid a €300 deposit when I first signed up. Have to order bank statements from '07 to see.
    Anyone have any issues? Is it true you don;t pay a deposit if set up direct debit.
    I was always under the impression to this day I paid them a lump sum at the start.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

did you keep the same (esb) account number when you moved premises?

If not, try and root out the account number from the premises that you paid the deposit on. Its a bit of a pain, all the records should be painfully obvious to the ESB employee you were dealing with tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Fnergg

The ESB doesn't require a deposit and direct debit. It's one or the other. If you were paying by direct debit then it is practically certain that you did not pay a deposit.

Regards,

Fnergg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fnergg wrote: »
    The ESB doesn't require a deposit and direct debit. It's one or the other. If you were paying by direct debit then it is practically certain that you did not pay a deposit.

Regards,

Fnergg

This is correct, its either one or the other

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

CS Hasuki wrote: »
    I registered with the ESB in 2007 and paid a deposit. Moved house in 2008 and called them up and they said they transferred the deposit over to the new address rather than refund and me pay it again.

Moving to Airtricity. Called up looking for deposit back and they said I never paid one. They said this is because I set up a direct debit from the beginning.

I am sure I have paid a €300 deposit when I first signed up. Have to order bank statements from '07 to see.
    Anyone have any issues? Is it true you don;t pay a deposit if set up direct debit.
    I was always under the impression to this day I paid them a lump sum at the start.

Had almost the same
    When i got esb i had no bankaccount and had to pay a deposit of 300 euro on the postoffice
    Later that year i had a bank acc and started with direct debit with esb but didnt tought about the deposit anymore
    Last year a friend started about those deposits and i remembered my one didnt got back
    I got the same story like you
    Lucky me i kept all of their bills so even the ones i paid on the post office so eighter the one of their deposit
    I made copys of all their bills of that year and sent it to them to prove they didnt pay me back
    Two months ago they did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

CS Hasuki wrote: »

Perhaps when you set up the direct debit, you paid the €300 into the account, thinking that a deposit was necessary??
    Over time it would have been absorbed into the payments from your bills.
    Your statements will verify this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement