Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Dolmen + Engineers Report

• 15-03-2010 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

First you should get the vehicle recategorised from category N (goods vehicle) to a category M (passenger vehicle), you will need Revenue and Vehicle Registrations at Shannon to be involved in this process. Once this is done the vehicle will then be officially re-classified as a 'motor caravan' and, importantly, be eligible for the motor caravan rate of road tax, motor caravan insurance and will not be subject to a DOE test as the law currently stands. See the thread about DOE for camper vans elsewhere on this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

niloc1951 wrote: »
    First you should get the vehicle recategorised from category N (goods vehicle) to a category M (passenger vehicle), you will need Revenue and Vehicle Registrations at Shannon to be involved in this process. Once this is done the vehicle will then be officially re-classified as a 'motor caravan' and, importantly, be eligible for the motor caravan rate of road tax, motor caravan insurance and will not be subject to a DOE test as the law currently stands. See the thread about DOE for camper vans elsewhere on this site.

He'll still need an engineers report though ...bacuase that's what he needs for the insurance.

OP, I don't know anyone in your area, so you'll just have to ring around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

peasant wrote: »
    He'll still need an engineers report though ...bacuase that's what he needs for the insurance.
    Yes, you're right there, it has always been a requirement for home conversions and maybe older imports, but I don't see why his garage requires a roadworthiness cert, I think they must have wires crossed. Any qualified person or garage should furnish an engineers report for payment of the appropriate fee without reference to a valid DOE (RSA Roadworthiness Certificate), they always did before the current nonsensical situation arose last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 pandos

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Yes, you're right there, it has always been a requirement for home conversions and maybe older imports, but I don't see why his garage requires a roadworthiness cert, I think they must have wires crossed. Any qualified person or garage should furnish an engineers report for payment of the appropriate fee without reference to a valid DOE (RSA Roadworthiness Certificate), they always did before the current nonsensical situation arose last summer.

Been there and had that catch 22 situation, resolved by looking up motor engineers and assessors in the golden pages, forget about local garages and doe test centers they cannot see beyond their own noses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Kenn81

nookie wrote: »
    Hi

Looking to pick some of you guys' brains - I've recently converted a Ford Transit and have got to the stage of insuring it with Dolmen. I now have 14 days to get an engineers report done on it - trouble is I gave it to my local garage who told me they wouldn't fill any report until the van had a doe on it. Has anyone else had this experience or could anybody recommend a place to go to get this report filled - I'm in the dublin/kildare region.

Thanks in advance!

Dolmen would not give me the 14 days to get everything sorted so I am going to go with Stuarts. Although Dolmen will accept an Engineers report from a SIMI garage Stuarts will only accept the report from a main dealer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement