Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phil Brown sacked

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Frankly I'm disappointed in this. It's just another example of the unrealistic expectations club chairmen have.

Phil Brown led Hull in their most successful period and was still likely to save them from relegation this season imo. He should have been given the opportunity to do so, and if they wanted a clear out they could have done it over the summer.

I can't help thinking that it had more to do with background issues such as team discipline etc rather than the footballing element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

exactly my thoughts, they really should have left this till the summer imo

dont see what can be achieved by doing it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Things aren't great in Hulls dressing room I wouldn't think. Firstly after being embarrassed on the half time on the pitch team talk last season, it wouldn't take a lot for the players to turn on Brown. 2 senior players in a brawl in front of the Women's Institute doesn't help paint a rosy picture. I would imagine with the number of ageing players he had, there is a very strong willed dressing room there.

Results have been terrible recently, but they are only 3 off the pace with 9 games left so I don't think its too late for a change. Maybe the chairman thinks a new manager will give the players a lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Saw this rumour this morning before the sacking was announced --
    Hull manager Phil Brown has been ordered not to talk to his teenage midfielder Tom Cairney. Brown has received a letter from the 19-year-old's legal representatives after the club tried to open contract negotiations.(
    Being banned from talking to your own players hardly helps your case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

In related news, three people have been let go in the local beauty salon in anticipation of a serious drop in sunbed usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Sales of over elaborate headsets also down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

kagni wrote: »
    Saw this rumour this morning before the sacking was announced --

Being banned from talking to your own players hardly helps your case.

the player is at fault in that case actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Will be pleased to see them relegated now :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Dave! wrote: »
    Will be pleased to see them relegated now :)
    Think of the poor fans :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Phil Brown will no doubt run for PM now.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I think you have to respect what he has done with Hull even if you didn't particularily like him. Amazing decision to let him go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

I was my understanding that he hasn't been sacked, he's on gardening leave, that usually means that he's leaving to take up another job soon. Having said that its all in the interpretation.

If he was ever going to be sacked it should have been after the team talk on the pitch against Manchester City and not now with nine games left. I'll be amazed if they stay up now. The writing was on the wall when Adam Pearson regained control of the club earlier this year. He never liked him as it was so I can't see why he didn't relieve him of his duties then. Doing it now just goes to show how little chairmen actually know about how a football club should be run IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

He might have been a pain in the arse a lot of time but he was great entertainment and the premiership will be a poorer place without him. i hope Hull go down now for rash decision like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I wouldn't be a member of the Phil Brown Haterz Society. He's a decent manager who did well with limited resources.

How many teams go straight back down after being promoted? Hull aren't one of those teams (as of today) thanks to Brown.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Alot of championship clubs would love to get him in as there manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Oi Brown. Fack Off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

His singing warranted a sacking in itself.

I don't really dislike him as such. Hull were a breath of fresh air at the start of last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

marwelie wrote: »
    I was my understanding that he hasn't been sacked, he's on gardening leave, that usually means that he's leaving to take up another job soon. Having said that its all in the interpretation.

If he was ever going to be sacked it should have been after the team talk on the pitch against Manchester City and not now with nine games left. I'll be amazed if they stay up now. The writing was on the wall when Adam Pearson regained control of the club earlier this year. He never liked him as it was so I can't see why he didn't relieve him of his duties then. Doing it now just goes to show how little chairmen actually know about how a football club should be run IMO.

There could be a vacancy at Anfield soon enough, if all the rumours are true??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Farewell Phil Brown Orange

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

A bit of a tosser alright but at the end of the day the facts show that Hull have sacked the best manager in their history at a critical stage of their season. They deserve to be relegated now and return to the lower league anonymity they had previously been accustomed to before his arrival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Degag wrote: »
    I think you have to respect what he has done with Hull even if you didn't particularily like him. Amazing decision to let him go now.

+1 on this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

flahavaj wrote: »
    A bit of a tosser alright but at the end of the day the facts show that Hull have sacked the best manager in their history at a critical stage of their season. They deserve to be relegated now and return to the lower league anonymity they had previously been accustomed to before his arrival.

in a nutshell.

they're absolute deluded nutbars to let go of him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

There could be a vacancy at Anfield soon enough, if all the rumours are true??

As a Man Utd fan, I'd be happy to see Rafa in the job for life. The longer he's there the less chance there is of them winning ever the league again. I'd say that theres absolutely no chance of him being sacked, the Scousers can't afford to pay him off.

Even if there was a vacancy at Anfield theres no way Phil Brown would be in the running to fill it.

Back on topic though, can someone please explain why he was put on Gardening Leave (a legal term, apparently) and not officially sacked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

A thing that I felt never got enough attention, was the whole Brown claiming to save a suicidal woman from jumping off a bridge which was never backed up and was suggested by a couple of people to be fabricated. Massive WTF

Seriously if you are a footballer and the manager is spinning bull**** like this how the hell would you ever have any respect for him as a human being never mind as a manager?

Didn't like the perma-tan, pink sweater or head-sets either. Reeked of knob.
    Could see Hull pulling together and getting a bump the next game or two with Brown gone.
    Humber Bridge Board unaware of Phil Brown talking down suicide jumper
    Friday, October 02, 2009, 09:18

The Humber Bridge Board today said it was not aware Hull City manager Phil Brown had talked down a possible suicide jumper.

Brown claimed he met the woman when the team went for a walk on the bridge on Wednesday.

He said she was "considering her future" but came down after some "sweet talk".

A spokesperson for the bridge board said: "We have not heard anything about this."

Here is the full interview with Brown about the incident.

Brown: "Walked across there (the Humber Bridge) yesterday. We saved a girl actually. Considering her future, shall we say, but that's one for the headlines isn't it, I suppose?"

Reporter: "Genuinely?"

Brown: "Well, you never know do you until you see her jump, you don't know whether somebody is actually going to."

Reporter: "So, then she saw you guys and thought 'it can't be as bad as all that?'"

Brown: "Can't be as bad as that."

Reporter: "I've got to ask, it would be silly not to ask, did you seriously bump into a young lady up there then?"

Brown: "Yes, I did."

Reporter: "What, you just got talking to her and..."

Brown: "Aye, sweet talk."

Reporter: "How old was she?"

Brown: "She was claiming she was 40 plus, but she looked a lot younger than 40 plus."

Reporter: "How did you manage to dissuade her from jumping?"

Brown: "Nobody said she was going to jump."

Reporter: "But I mean, seriously?"

Brown: "You've got a story there haven't you?"

Reporter: "Well, you just said that you bumped into this woman."

Brown: "It's your job to write the headlines not mine."

Reporter: "Did she come and join you for the walk?"

Brown: "No, no, she tootled off to wherever she came from."

Reporter: "There's no reason to be up there unless you're a football team looking for inspiration?"

Brown: "Correct."

Reporter: "What was the thinking, just a warm down?"

Brown: "No, no, not a warm down, looking for clarity."
    The story of Phil Brown and the suicidal woman is worthy of the Kremlin itself
    By David Anderson Published 08:30 07/10/09

I think it was Winston Churchill who once said that the Soviet Union was an enigma wrapped inside a riddle, hidden inside a Sudoku puzzle.

OK, I made the last bit up, but the point he was making was that it was hard to figure out Joe Stalin and his cronies.

Audiences with Phil Brown are a bit like dealing with the old Kremlin.

You come out from his office at Cottingham not sure whether he's said something for effect or is just spinning you a yarn.

Take his claim that he talked a woman out of committing suicide during a team-bonding walk with his Hull players on the Humber Bridge.

It came from a flippant remark Brown made at the start of his press conference on Thursday morning and within 24 hours he was plastered all over the national media as some sort of hero.

Never one to shy away from the limelight, by Saturday even Brown realised things had got out of hand and that it was all a bridge too far.

"I just talk to anybody, me," he said sheepishly when asked about his 'heroics' after the win over Wigan.

Brown's reticence was understandable, especially because the word from the dressing room was that there was no woman.

The players walked behind Brown during their stroll on Wednesday and can't recall him speaking to any woman, let alone one who looked like she was about to end it all.

Perhaps the players were mistaken and surely Brown wouldn't spin such a far-fetched yarn to divert attention away from himself and the team's terrible form?

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/david-anderson/The-story-of-Phil-Brown-and-the-suicidal-woman-is-worthy-of-the-Kremlin-itself-article181991.html

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/news/Humber-Bridge-Board-unaware-Phil-Brown-talking-suicide-jumper/article-1387487-detail/article.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I lost respect for him when he had his half time pitch "dressing" down of the players. These things should not be done like that. I'm sure the players lost it for him too from that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

A thing that I felt never got enough attention, was the whole Brown claiming to save a suicidal woman from jumping off a bridge which was never backed up and was suggested by a couple of people to be fabricated. Massive WTF

Seriously if you are a footballer and the manager is spinning bull**** like this how the hell would you ever have any respect for him as a human being never mind as a manager?

Didn't like the perma-tan, pink sweater or head-sets either. Reeked of knob.
    Could see Hull pulling together and getting a bump the next game or two with Brown gone.

Yeah remember reading that. I actually sort of pity him, he IS David Brent and REALLY wants people to like him.

That aside though he done well for the club and I think the decision is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭kagni

Jigga wrote: »
    i hope Hull go down now for rash decision like this.

Can't understand this idea that Hull deserve to go down because they sacked him. Seems to be the same attitude every time a small club show their ingratitude by sacking their manager. The team were performing poorly and he was a laughing stock. Sacking him after one win in 15 games is hardly a rash decision.
    To be honest he was lucky to survive at the end of last season when they got 3 points from their last 11 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

marwelie wrote: »
    As a Man Utd fan, I'd be happy to see Rafa in the job for life. The longer he's there the less chance there is of them winning ever the league again. I'd say that theres absolutely no chance of him being sacked, the Scousers can't afford to pay him off.

Even if there was a vacancy at Anfield theres no way Phil Brown would be in the running to fill it.

Back on topic though, can someone please explain why he was put on Gardening Leave (a legal term, apparently) and not officially sacked?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gardening_Leave
    in the United Kingdom, garden leave (or gardening leave) describes the practice whereby an employee who is leaving a job (having resigned or otherwise been terminated) is instructed to stay away from work during their notice period, while still remaining on the payroll. This practice is often used to prevent employees from taking with them up-to-date (and perhaps sensitive) information when they leave their current employer, especially when they are leaving to join a competitor.
    Employees continue to receive their normal pay during garden leave and are covered by any contractual duties, such as confidentiality agreements, until their notice period expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Is it true that his position had become untanable ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Rosco1982 wrote: »
    Is it true that his position had become untanable ?

Tip of the hat
    Will be knicking this puntastic effort to impress friends and family with my lightening wit.:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

A career on MOTD2 awaits. I never liked him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

Maybe he knew that was going to be the only thing he'd save from the drop this year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whats the deal with the timeing? They waited till ater the Arsenal game. Surely his future wasnt hingeing on beating Arsenal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

kagni wrote: »
    To be honest he was lucky to survive at the end of last season when they got 3 points from their last 11 games.
    Good point. Hull stayed up merely by default, Newcastle and Boro were pi$$ poor last season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Stekelly wrote: »
    Whats the deal with the timeing? They waited till ater the Arsenal game. Surely his future wasnt hingeing on beating Arsenal?
    Thank you, Nick Bendtner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Read somewhere that one of Hulls head honchos has ruled out Alan Curbishley as a possible choice.

How this man is still out of a job is beyond me but if Hull arent even considering him then what in gods name is wrong with them. He is such a good manager and id have him top of my list to take the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

joe123 wrote: »
    Read somewhere that one of Hulls head honchos has ruled out Alan Curbishley as a possible choice.

How this man is still out of a job is beyond me but if Hull arent even considering him then what in gods name is wrong with them. He is such a good manager and id have him top of my list to take the job.

They want someone who'll sign until the end of the season, and then review it over the summer. Curbs won't do it, so they need to look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

The timing of this is very odd - maybe the club just couldn't stand his bullshìt anymore. People are saying that he has done a lot for the club and getting them to the promised land is special but to me, all things considered, I'm not impressed with his performance in the PL.

Just read that Humber bridge story - wtf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭getcover

Don't know much about him, but is it becuase he is a bit of a spoofer, and a bit of a showman that people dislike him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

getcover wrote: »
    Don't know much about him, but is it becuase he is a bit of a spoofer, and a bit of a showman that people dislike him?

He's a bit of a loud mouthed idiot. He just says and does some daft things from time to time. He's one of those people who are easy to hate tbh, even though there are much more deserving people than Brown imo.

I generally feel he got an overly hard time of it in Hull. The media found a soft target and milked him for all he was worth, much of the reporting of him was considerably biased and I think this probably fed into the poor mentality of the team.

People seem to forget how good Hull looked when they first came up, he sure can create a team, it's the man management and morale side of things where he probably has more to learn. And remember Hull was his first proper managerial job. If he can learn to think before he speaks though Brown could be a very good manager, pink sweatshirts aside. I'd expect to see him back in the Prem fairly soon.

Advertisement