Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 Day Ban Assistance please

Options
  • 15-03-2010 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭

Ive been banned for 3 days for saying

"get a life"

by Moderator tbh

in Forum - Radio

Can i please have someone sort this out, absolutely pathetic behaviour for a moderator.

I even went to the trouble of explaining my comment out to this moderator but they decided to have their power trip.

Can another mod, category mod whatever please deal with this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

For the record:

Radio Poster posted "As a daily listener to his show, which I do enjoy, I feel that he is stepping over the line with his slagging of Anne Glesson. It borders on sexual harrassment and bullying"

Our OP here replied, and included the last line "Get a life"

I posted:
    "Don't want to see any more of that, thanks. You can express your own opinion perfectly well, obviously, without slagging anyone else."

Please note: no bans, no threat of bans, no infraction, no warning.
    So clearly OP, you were not banned "just" for saying "get a life". You weren't even warned for it. What you were banned for was replying with:

"now now dont be over zealous, saying get a life is hardly a slag, i was stating that their trying to insinuate that because they believe its sexual harassment it isnt and i suggested that they "get a life" i.e. worry about things other than whether someone who has no problem with having a laugh should be protected

she's a big girl

i stand by my statement "

AS the OP was clearly unwilling to listen to moderator direction, I gave a three day ban. Op replied to my pm calling me childish, pathetic, etc etc :)

I've no problems with the contents of my PMs being published.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

OH for gods sake

your great at removing context

first of all my reply clearly EXPLAINED my statement and tries to explain why its not a slag as you deemed it. it clearly is not a slag, its a statement.

Second of all, your actions are childish, if you truly for whatever reason had any problem with my actions clearly there is a course of action for jumping on a power trip and throwing bans around

A PM to explain your reasons for somehow construeing "get a life" as a slag
    An Infraction?

How about following any kind of moderation process besides throwing a ban around just to put your weight behind something

You have decided something is a "slag" that clearly isnt
    You have jumped straight to ban for me defending my position in a non aggressive or threatening manner

Can someone OTHER than this moderator please reply, i dont wish to deal with him

This is rediculous, my reply to that isnt even here any more, you twist it to suit yourself

i have no doubt your the only one who will even get to see this, disgraceful

You say i was banned for my responce to you, IT WAS AN EXPLANATION OF MY STATEMENT AND EXPLAINING HOW "get a life" IS NOT A SLAG

I went to the bother of doing that for you and you just ban me straight out, no PM to say "sorry but this isnt up for discussion" no Infraction

Straight to ban

Get off your power trip and let someone else deal with this, i wont have you censor my content and replies

Now that the ban is lifted i could finally get to the thread to get this
    tbh wrote:
    fair enough, three day ban for attacking another poster. Thanks
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64915749&postcount=136

Even though in this thread you said
    tbh wrote: »
    So clearly OP, you were not banned "just" for saying "get a life". You weren't even warned for it. What you were banned for was replying with:

Absolutely terrible work on covering your ass for realising later you had ZERO premise for the ban.

Your a disgrace

first of all, I have no control over posts on helpdesk, so I suggest you read up on how the place operates before you embarrass yourself any further.

Secondly, I'm not going to hold your hand. Everyone on boards knows that it's their own responsibility to read the charter, and arguing on-thread with moderation is a very big no-no. You would have seen this if you'd read the charter:
    Please note:

Personal differences regarding the contents of this forum or any of it's threads should be discussed over PM.

Any comments about the moderation of this forum are welcome, but should be restricted to PMs to the mods of the forum, Feedback or Helpdesk

Derailing a thread with off-topic comments will result in an infraction or a ban, at the moderators discretion.

This is the only warning that will be given about off-topic posts. Moderators will not be obliged to give any more warnings on-thread.

If you are unable or unwilling to read the charter, I'm not willing to spend my valuable time asking you to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

You should have come to myself or an cat dubh before posting here. You tell tbh to stick to procedure? There are procedures for complaints too.

I'm in work at the moment but will look into the matter when I get home. Then give a reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I have reviewed the thread; present issues being discussed at page 9.

The cut and thrust of the discussion appears to be that dionsiseire having engaged in a number of places on the thread proceeded to engage in contradicting another poster which is fine to the point where you indicate "i really dislike when others decide what people should be offended about".

The offending three words "get a life" which were presented next can only in my opinion be considered in a derogatory sense given that the thrust of your post was to contradict and diminish the posts of another user. You were pulled up on it by a moderator.

I have never in my lifetime heard the term "get a life" to mean anything other than a derogatory term unless you happen to be on very buddy-buddy terms with the individual however the poster that you appeared to be disagreeing with appears silent with respect to your ban. You were given a warning on thread by a moderator of the forum. If you didn't like the warning you could have requested a CMod to review the warning or post here in help desk for a review, however, you decided that you were wronged by the particular action and the appropriate place to take out the frustration was back on thread and in forum which frankly, served only to be off topic and irrelevant to all bar one poster.

In essence I don't accept the substance of your subsequent reply on thread. If, for example, I told you this minute to go "get a life" at the end of this reply, I don't think you would immediately think that you should "worry about things other than whether someone who has no problem with having a laugh should be protected". I think you would get offended and rightly so too which is why it isn't a permitted mechanism of engagement with others on the forum.

You will also notice on the pages previous to your comments another user was challenged for their mechanism of engagement however in that particular instance a ban ultimately wasn't necessary, the user accepting that their contribution was undertaken whilst under the influence. This demonstrates to me consistent moderation of the thread and a fair and even hand approach taken to all users.

In terms of reviewing this case, I am satisfied with the course of action taken by the moderators on this occasion. Essentially, a warning issued on thread was ignored and you continued along a particular line which had been expressed to you as not appropriate behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Your a disgrace

If you can't discuss anything without resorting to insults, you won't last very long in this thread.

As tbh has said, there is a procedure to be followed. You were not banned from this thread, all post have to be approved by a moderator before they become visible.

In short - lose the attitude, conduct yourself in a civil manner, or I am closing this thread.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    You were given a warning on thread by a moderator of the forum. If you didn't like the warning you could have requested a CMod to review the warning or post here in help desk for a review, however, you decided that you were wronged by the particular action and the appropriate place to take out the frustration was back on thread and in forum which frankly, served only to be off topic and irrelevant to all bar one poster.

I didnt decide i didnt like the "warning" i just EXPLAINED my comment
    AnCatDubh wrote: »
    Essentially, a warning issued on thread was ignored and you continued along a particular line which had been expressed to you as not appropriate behaviour.

Im sorry but where are you seeing this warning, he stated he didnt want any more of this, so i felt i should explain my comment

for explaining my comment i was banned "for attacking another user"

then in this VERY thread he says i was banned for
    OP was clearly unwilling to listen to moderator direction

So what exactly was i banned for, he doesnt seem to know himself

on top of that, it was just as statement of "i dont want to see more of it" all i did was reply to that comment, i didnt do it again or get worse, how did that jump to a ban straight away. I did nothing to warrant that, he could have said "ok you've explained your opinion, but it still stands, less of it" he could have given an infraction, he didnt, he went straight to ban for absolutely no reason.

also with regard the offense to "get a life" ive never been offended by "get a life" if said to me i would take it as the person saying it meaning i am taking a too big of an interest in a topic for no reason. i wouldnt get offended, its this easily offended nature that has led to the nanny state and PC culture going on where its not ok to say anything.
    What happened to having a conversation! the list of things you cant say is growing bigger every single day.

Will wrote:
    You tell tbh to stick to procedure? There are procedures for complaints too

I dont understand this statement, i said something, tbh said he didnt like it, i explained the statement, i get banned, i post my complaint in HelpDesk, where exactly did i not follow procedure, because i never had a "problem" with tbh's initial responce, i merely explained my comment, are we are the stage where replying is not acceptable? Had it gone beyond that reply i would have PM'd him, instead i found myself banned for nothing.
    Tom Dunne wrote:
    In short - lose the attitude, conduct yourself in a civil manner, or I am closing this thread.

I have no attitude, ive long been a boards member, conversed with many a member and have never even been close to a ban, im trying to present my case in a civil manner but the PM's and replies from Moderator in question have been smug and twisting what i have said to suit his case. I dislike this and it has managed to wind me up enough to be getting thick with this user. I apologise to everyone else bar him for anything considered aggro or not acceptable.

I've updated that post to reflect that you were banned for arguing with moderation on thread. Thank you for bringing that to my attention.

Your a disgrace

That may well be, but if you argue on thread with a moderators decision again, you'll be banned again.

• Advertisement

That may well be, but if you argue on thread with a moderators decision again, you'll be banned again.

Again, Wasnt argue-ing merely explaining my comment. i was not looking to be banned, i was merely trying to explain myself for which i got banned.

I didnt argue at all. i just explained what i was saying

im trying to present my case in a civil manner but the PM's and replies from Moderator in question have been smug and twisting what i have said to suit his case. .

First PM from me was standard ban message
    Reason for banning: Off-Topic Posting. If you want to argue moderation, please do it over PM. thanks.

reply from OP:
    Absolutely childish

it wasnt attacking in any form or manner, are you seriously a moderator, if get a life is an attack on someone ive been horribly attacked many times in my life

enjoy your power trip

My Reply:
    thanks. see you in three. Or not. Whatever

His reply:
    If your mod of radio

most likely not, cant even have a basic discussion, disgraceful

My reply:
    I am mod of radio, so that means probably not. Ah well.

thanks

yes these are the PM's

as previously said, ive allowed myself to get wound up by goading statements of "see you in three, or not, whatever" and "i am mod of radio, so probably not ah well"

also note that smileys have been removed from the text which for me furthered the feeling that the OP was enjoying these PM's and goading me knowing there was little i can do about said action.

yes these are the PM's

as previously said, ive allowed myself to get wound up by goading statements of "see you in three, or not, whatever" and "i am mod of radio, so probably not ah well"

also note that smileys have been removed from the text which for me furthered the feeling that the OP was enjoying these PM's and goading me knowing there was little i can do about said action.

image tags are turned off in helpdesk - it's not possible to show smileys - I did include them however.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ok, guys, let's chalk this one down to experience.

I don't know what more can be achieved from this discussion.

Both the mods and the CMod have given their opinion, the ban has expired, so perhaps it would be best to move on.

dionsiseire, always remember there are many options available to you if you are not happy with what a moderator action, including PM, other mods, Cmods and then here on the Helpdesk for Admin review. Discussing/explaining/arguing about mod actions on thread has always been a no-no.

yes these are the PM's

image tags are turned off in helpdesk - it's not possible to show smileys - I did include them however. For the record, there was one standard smiley ":)" at the end of each message sent by me. I fail to see how my messages were twisting and goading, perhaps you'd clarify or withdraw.

In any case, I'm done responding.

Advertisement