Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Communion/Confirmation Silly Season!

Options
  • 15-03-2010 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi,

As we enter the silly season of confirmation and communions - I know there are alot of people out there - like me - who are planning to prepare a feast for a group of friends and family. So just thought I would start a thread so that we can all get ideas of what to do with the minimal amount of effort.

I have 15- 25 people coming and was thinking of doing some kind of hot dish with a 'selection' of salads etc and maybe a whole cold salmon as well. Dont want to do the usual lasagne or quiche - so any ideas?? Or maybe I might do something totally different when I read other peoples ideas.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

What about a potato bake? It's absolutely gorgeous, I'm 14 and I'm doing it for my Home Ec practical. Popular with everyone! Here's the recipe:
    750g potatoes - peeled, sliced and parboiled (Must be soft but not mushy)
    100g diced bacon
    50g onion
    black pepper
    125ml double cream
    3 tablespoons milk
    100g cheddar cheese (Make sure you get a nice brand and it's orange cheese)

1. Preheat oven to 180c or gas mark 4.
    2. Cut the potatoes into thin slices so when you put the potatoes into the bowl, they'll be in rows. Arrange half the potatoes in the pyrex bowl (greased).
    3. Sauté the diced bacon and the finely chopped onions together. Add the black pepper.
    4. Spoon mixture over potatoes. Arrange remaining potatoes in layers.
    5. Mix cream and milk together.
    6. Pour cream mixture over potatoes and place grated cheese over this.
    7. Bake in oven until golden brown.

The recipe says cook for 40 mins but I cook it until it's golden brown because the potatoes are already cooked.

Serve with a salad.
    This dish is lovely, well worth making.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

100g cheddar cheese (Make sure you get a nice brand and it's orange cheese)

Orange factory cheddar (white cheddar with colouring) is orange factory cheddar. The 'brand' won't make a whole lot of difference.
    "Kilmeaden, the fillet of marketing!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

I mean a nice tasting cheese, if you get a not-so-nice cheese, it won't be as nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Orange factory cheddar (white cheddar with colouring) is orange factory cheddar. The 'brand' won't make a whole lot of difference.
    "Kilmeaden, the fillet of marketing!"

Huh, I didn't know that!

I'd normally use white cheddar for a gratin, it browns nicely anyway. Or gruyere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I was really lazy and made a green curry, I think someone might of made a salad and chicken wings and I made a big fat choc cake.

Cheese board could be another option for you, all you have to do is open the paper and throw some crackers at them.

Sticky sausages or chicken wings are so easy just throw the lot in the roasting tray and mix in a mardinade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

My mum made a goulash for my communion 20 years ago (god I feel old :eek::eek:) and the goulash on the the cooking club would be perfect as it tastes nicer the day after it is made!!!!

Advertisement