Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worked in oz for a year on a 457

Options
  • 15-03-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

now my employment has ended but i want to stay here for another year or so, what type of visa do i need to get and will i get it without any problems? i have no job lined up but i am looking for one. thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

now my employment has ended but i want to stay here for another year or so, what type of visa do i need to get and will i get it without any problems? i have no job lined up but i am looking for one. thanks in advance

you need a 457 at least, or else migration which prob doesn't suit as will take 6-18months.

you'll need an employer to sponsor you on a 457, and yes you can have problems if you are not on a skilled list.

if you have more than 3months left on your visa you can fruit pick and get a 2nd WHV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I assume you employer released you from your 457. If so you have about a month to secure employment in the same line of work who will take it up. Have you recieved your letter from DIAC stating this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I assume you employer released you from your 457. If so you have about a month to secure employment in the same line of work who will take it up. Have you recieved your letter from DIAC stating this?

I think OP is confused between 417 and 457

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mandrake04 wrote: »

Ahh well guess their rooted so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

hussey wrote: »
    you need a 457 at least, or else migration which prob doesn't suit as will take 6-18months.

you'll need an employer to sponsor you on a 457, and yes you can have problems if you are not on a skilled list.

if you have more than 3months left on your visa you can fruit pick and get a 2nd WHV

how do i get migration then, what do i need to do, what would be my chances of getting it? im in accountant which i think was recently taken off the list of occupations where there were skill shortages.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »

i'll be the first to admit i know absolutely nothing about visas, my employer sorted all that stuff out for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭ifumust82

i'll be the first to admit i know absolutely nothing about visas, my employer sorted all that stuff out for me.

Did you get the visa evidenced in your passport? if so it will say what visa you had.
    If it was a 457 then as the other posters have said you have 1 month to find a job with sponsorship. IF you do find one then you will be put on a bridging visa until the sponsorship is sorted out. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

You'd be best to go find out what type of visa you have, otherwise this discussion is pointless. Also, how long have you been in Australia in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

OP unless you can find another company to sponsor you then you may find yourself waiting until 2012 for a visa. You're best bet would be go see a migration agent for advice.

ok i checked and it is a 457, but thinking about i think i'd like to become a permanent resident, would i have any chance of being granted that if i didn't have a job sorted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Its not as easy as just saying you want to become a permanent resident. There have been alot of changes since last September and unless you are on the Critical Skills List then you will be waiting until 2012 to get a permanent visa. Either way you would have to leave Australia because you would not have enough time to get a permanent visa. When did your job finish up? you have 28 days to either find a new sponsor or leave the country from when you leave your job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

can you apply for a WHV for the next year (or 2)? and possibly start the PR process now? Do you need to be out of the country to get a WHV - could possibly mean a holiday to NZ or Bali...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

ok i checked and it is a 457, but thinking about i think i'd like to become a permanent resident, would i have any chance of being granted that if i didn't have a job sorted?

Did you originally come over on a working holiday visa? If not thats your route.

Advertisement