Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Body Armour / Bone Protecor

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:11pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I’m looking for an adults (L or XL) body protector if anyone has a spare one. I never used one up to now but I got a minor fall 2 weeks ago now and am still sore from it. If I had a protector on I know it would have prevented some of the pain. I know I should be wearing one all the time – hence this post.
    For the amount I ride for now I don’t want to pay OTT for one so if anyone has a spare or knows someone who had one who doesn’t ride anymore please let me know.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

I prefer to buy new body protector becuase it will mould to my body shape and fit me correctly and cover my vital body parts.

You can get cheaper new body protector.
    Or you can get 2nd hand but it may not fit you correctly.

If you wonder what kind I have: Mine a Racesafe.

If you go for lessons at a school they should have a few body protectors for the jumping as its complusary to wear 1 for jumping lessons at schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you are looking at buying a second hand back protector it's best to check it out first to ensure that it's ok and has no serious damage or excessive wear and tear. You'll also need to ensure that it meets safety standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

A badly fitting body protector can be more dangerous than not wearing one at all. If it's too long, it can actually cause falls by pushing you forward out of position. One that is too loose can get caught and cause you to get hung up and dragged. It's really important to have it properly fitted by someone who knows how.

You should be able to sit on the saddle, have the lower part of the protector not touching the saddle, however, if it's halfway up your back, it's too short and will not protect your internal organs as it should. when you lean forward, the top of it should NOT be anywhere near your head, neck, or helmet. It should be snug around your body, but not so tight that it restricts movement in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I was actually just wondering what the story with the protectors is? I dont use one in the stables that I go to and I notice not many others do either. Theres obviously no requirement? I'm just wondering really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭granturismo

If you go for lessons at a school they should have a few body protectors for the jumping as its complusary to wear 1 for jumping lessons at schools.

These schools have decided to make clients wear back body protectors when jumping. Its a private business and they're entitled to make that call. Possibly their insurer advised or told them to implement it.

Theres obviously no requirement? I'm just wondering really.

There's no national statuatory or AIRE requirement forcing all schools to ensure clients wear one. In your school the choice is left to the client.

@OP, I'd never skimp on buying a hat or body protector. You'll buy a new protector for the same price as 3-4 lessons. I wouldnt buy one second hand unless I trusted the seller.

I bought one for riding out occassionally in fields (but dont wear it in arenas) and am glad because I had a fall on hard ground and probably would have been out of work for a few days if I hadnt been wearing it, so its paid for itself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement