Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Agitate with cattle inside??

• 15-03-2010 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭

I got my tank emptied the weekend, the contractor that done it said the cattle did not need to be let out while it was been agitated.

Whats everyones thoughts on this, i think its a bit of a gamble

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Out, that gas is lethal.

It might be a long shot but it can happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

depends on the shed, if it a big open shed its no prob, have often done it, if its fairly enclosed then let cattle into the yard or something while he is working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

it a 3 bay open shed with spaced sheeting in the roof. I left the door open too but I guess the safest thing is to let them out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

I have a very open spaced shed. It is 10 bays and i keep all the sliding doors open and there is spaced sheeting. I have agitated every time with cattle inside without incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i remember in ag college we where told evacuate and ventilate before you agitate :D and i still stick by this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mayoireland

we have being agitating with cattle in sence 89 and nothing ever happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

we have being agitating with cattle in sence 89 and nothing ever happened.
    lucky you , the knacker was in our yard one day and he had just collected 4 smashing bullocks from a local farm that had dropped in the shed when the slurry was being mixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭agcons

Out, that gas is lethal.

It might be a long shot but it can happen.
    It only has to happen once. The gas is deadly, why take the risk? I doubt the contractor will be willing to compensate you when things go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

I have a very open spaced shed. It is 10 bays and i keep all the sliding doors open and there is spaced sheeting. I have agitated every time with cattle inside without incident.

Absolete, complete and utter insanity:mad::mad: You run a not insignificant risk of killing every single one of the animals in the shed.
    Methane is the gas given off by moving slurry. It is heavier than air and will build up on the air space directly above the slats. Depending on the height of the slurry in the tank, air movement, breeze if any, air pressure on a given day, you have a substantial risk of gass building above the slats.
    Cattle being curious creatures, will tend to put their heads down to observe more closely whats going on below the slats. A couple of whifs of methane, and the animal will go down.
    I would really consider a change of policy if I were you.

PS: A friend of mine, decided to go into his shed whilst the slurry was being agitated, to check the movement of the stuff in the middle pen. Like you, he thought with the doors open etc, and the fact that he had done likewise many times before, it would be no problem.
    The contractor guy, who was agitating missed this man after a few minutes. Looked to the shed to see him sprawled flat out on the slats. ran in, grabbed him by the ankles, dragged him out, unconcious.
    Doctor, and ambulance called. He was brought to hospital and spent 3 days there (one in intensive care). Had to go back a couple of times over the following months to check for possible brain damage, due to lack of oxygen to the brain for a period at the time of accident.
    Thankfully he made a full recovery!

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Have a read of this.

http://www.hseni.gov.uk/slurry_gases_can_kill.pdf

Hydrogen Sulphide is poisonous, all the other gases like Methane, Ammonia etc will smother you.

As far as I know, pure methane is odourless. For safety reasons, the Town Gas companies add chemicals so that it smells.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 simmental

pakalasa wrote: »
    Have a read of this.

http://www.hseni.gov.uk/slurry_gases_can_kill.pdf

Hydrogen Sulphide is poisonous, all the other gases like Methane, Ammonia etc will smother you.

As far as I know, pure methane is odourless. For safety reasons, the Town Gas companies add chemicals so that it smells.

Correct - it is the hydrogen sulphide that is the real danger, when it gets into your lungs it combines with the moisture (water) there and forms an acid that eats away your lung tissue - effectively you drown on your own blood - results are rapid and fatal, there is no rescue.

Generally if there is very little crust on the slurry there is less risk of this gas being trapped and consequently being released by agitation.
    It's not a risk I would ilke to take myself though - always evacuate.

Advertisement