Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick City Councillors - ignorant Fools in Suits?

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

Limerick Councillor Tom Shortt has spoken to the media and described the immature, unprofessional, embarrassing behaviour of his fellow Limerick City Councillors.

On reading the article it is my opinion that these People certainly so seem as though they are hardly fit for Public Office and the described conduct is that of ignorant Thugs who'd be better off shouting and being 'boisterous' in a Pub somewhere than making years of poor, rash, ill-thought decisions in the Local Pub they call our City Chamber.

In my experience its fairly rare to hear of logical, intelligent, sensible proceedings from that 'Chamber' and we would probably do equally poorly if we simply rounded up the Loiterers from outside any Spar Shop in the City and dumped them in there to legislate for us.....

If you need any proof that these People are Idiots - have a read of the Limerick Main Drainage Fiasco story this exercise in advanced stupidity cost the Exchequer €83,000,000 and is a magnificent example of what happens if you allow 'Boisterous' Fools to make key decisions.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Scarlett68

Couldnt agree more with you Raiser! They are nothing more than empty grey suits eating up valuable funds that could otherwise be spent on ANYTHING else...and give more of a return on investment than they do!.

It was never meant to be a career position but there are so many of them now who do nothing else only this. To supplement the basic councillor remuneration, they are "politically appointed" to a multitude of extraneous committees wherein they sit around contemplating their navel fluff making it a very lucrative career option! Its bewildering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

the bar should not be opened before meetings, also the feckers should be breathalised before been allowed to open their gobs

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Persiancowboy

Am I missing something here? I know that Limerick is often seen as a place apart but even here councillors are elected by the citizens of the city so the reason they are there is because the voters have put them there. If one votes for a muppet then it's hardly fair to blame the muppet...the voter is the one who should be held accountable.

An example of this is that one of my former teachers fron Sexton's St CBS is now an elected Councillor (and has recently been in the news for reasons that do not reflect well on him)..... this guy can barely construct a senible sentence of English yet he was elected onto the council????

Of course, this fades into insignificance when one recalls that the good citizens of Limerick previously elected the late Michael Kelly to the City Council. Need I say more? A good argument against greater devolution of real powers to Local Authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Seemingly we are all agreed that they are inept, dangerous and dangerously inept......

But who does actually elect them?

- Is it some sort of marathon drinking contest where the Person who soils themselves and vomits the least wins? Or, and God forbid, the other way around.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

An example of this is that one of my former teachers fron Sexton's St CBS is now an elected Councillor (and has recently been in the news for reasons that do not reflect well on him)..... this guy can barely construct a senible sentence of English yet he was elected onto the council????

Of course, this fades into insignificance when one recalls that the good citizens of Limerick previously elected the late Michael Kelly to the City Council. Need I say more? A good argument against greater devolution of real powers to Local Authorities.[/QUOTE]

its hard to see how a secondary teacher could be that bad at english, although it seems to have rubbed of on you,
    you avitar says you are based in fagans in drumcondra, who have a regular that makes the late mikey kelly seem angelic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Of course, this fades into insignificance when one recalls that the good citizens of Limerick previously elected the late Michael Kelly to the City Council. Need I say more? A good argument against greater devolution of real powers to Local Authorities.

its hard to see how a secondary teacher could be that bad at english, although it seems to have rubbed of on you,
    you avitar says you are based in fagans in drumcondra, who have a regular that makes the late mikey kelly seem angelic

Delicous irony, delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I think one of the problems with local councillors is that they have so few powers that they spend so much of their time squabbling about the minutae that the wider community they are supposed to represent couldn't give a toss about, such as other councillors not waiting their turn to speak.

I agree that some of the money they are paid to sit on various committees is a scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Does anybody know if there are formal minutes taken of Limerick City Council Meetings and if so how one could access them?

- I bet there's thousands of Who's going to feed the Gondolas moments waiting to be discovered from these Cretins.....

Advertisement