Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn Advice

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Guys,

My lawn is about two years old and forms part of a 1/2 site on which i've build a new house.

Quite a bit of landfill was added to the lawn area (to bring it level with the house and i think the soil has become compacted due to heavy machinery) before the scrapped topsoil from the original field was leveled and grass sown.

There were rushes in the original field and as such in the topsoil i spread (i did used Roundup on the mound of topsoil prior to spreading it but some rushes have obviously survived). I have decided the course of action is to aerator the lawn next week (hiring a 6in core removing aerator from a local hire shop) before spreading an inch of course sand over the lawn as a topdressing.

My question is, would you leave the holes left by the aerator for a couple of weeks before spreading the sand (thus letting the soil breath) or would you spread the sand on the same day the aeration occurs thus filling the holes with course sand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 rkdfloral

yes fill in holes asap, or they will close up themselves quickly, also a recycled fine top soil is better ie. more nutrients and cheaper

Advertisement