Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree food

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Howdy. I planted some silver birch and some mountain ash and other trees 3 years ago. I had to fill holes with topsoil in order to plant them. My question, I know its a bit early to expect to see some growth but they are looking sad and forlorn. Should I put out some fertilizer an them, and if so what would people suggest. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

I bought some stuff from farmers mart once i am sure it was called rock phosphate, thats what they give me for trees anyway. Trees are still there and ok:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wildlandscape

rock phosphate is very good for roots but only if there is a dificiency. Are the trees showing signs of poor growth?
    The best care for trees at this stage is to keep the base grass free and mulched so it is not competing for food and water. (don't have mulch touching the main tree stem, can cause rot)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Thanks for that wildlandscape I will go the mulch route. They are showing signs of poor growth but I put it down to the openess of the site which is hill brow coastal and extremely exposed.

Advertisement