Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog is suffering from canine lick granuloma

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

has anyone else had a dog that has suffered from this?

the say its either and infection or from continually licking their paws as a form of OCD from boredom. She's not a house dog but she gets ran everyday and only is in her kennell at night.

Has anyone else experienced this in any of their dogs?

Im treating it at the moment, but id be interested to know how other have encountered or dealt with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

What type of bedding have you in her kennel? Just might be something to consider if she is allergic to it.

I minded a cavalier King Charles with the condition and had to bathe his paws in salt water daily and there was a cream I used on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

i dont use any bedding in her kennell, i just have a regular dog box and theis is situated in her fenced run that about 25 Feet x 9 feet.. It may have been a brior that has infected it i was hoping.

What cream did you use? At the moment im using sudacream and loosley bandaging the wound and then taping the bandage at top and bottom.

The king charles had it on all paws and I think it was something to do with an allergy from long grass.
    If your dog is only licking one paw and it has an injury I would get her to a vet, as she might need an antibiotic shot. I would not bandage it either as the air would probably be better and I would get a doggy cream rather than sudocreme!!
    In the meantime, bathe it in salt water but I think you could be nipping further problems in the bud if you bring her to the vet!
    Best of luck with her

Eibhin wrote: »
    The king charles had it on all paws and I think it was something to do with an allergy from long grass.
    If your dog is only licking one paw and it has an injury I would get her to a vet, as she might need an antibiotic shot. I would not bandage it either as the air would probably be better and I would get a doggy cream rather than sudocreme!!
    In the meantime, bathe it in salt water but I think you could be nipping further problems in the bud if you bring her to the vet!
    Best of luck with her

I took the advice off a vet her i work with beleive it or not about the bandage and sudocream,.. If it persists i will have to get her for shots, but im going to try and work fixing it from home until the end of the week.

She's a working springer spaniel so she has a lot of life in her. She may need more than an hour or running in the fields each morning so i might give her a run on the estates green each night aswell jurt to let her burn off more steam.

I have a springer myself who is about 14. Great dogs.
    Well def take the vet's advice if she said bandage and sudocreme, then it's worth a try.
    Hope you get her sorted quickly anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

If they lick off the sudocreme, it can cause the runs so make sure its well rubbed in. Covering it so the dog cant get at it will take care of that alright.

When our rottweiler had this on her paws, we used Rescue Remedy Cream and didnt cover it. Between that and constantly correcting her for attempting to lick and giving her a nylabone to chew on instead, it healed up pretty quick. She was an inside dog and I was studying at home so it was easy enough for me to supervise and correct when needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

stevoman wrote: »
    i dont use any bedding in her kennell, i just have a regular dog box and theis is situated in her fenced run that about 25 Feet x 9 feet.. It may have been a brior that has infected it i was hoping.

Does she not be freezing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭bl8ckh8art

My rottweiler does this when I bring her in at night. There's nothing wrong with her paws at all so I guess it's just OCD. She can lick for up to an hour.

Magenta wrote: »
    Does she not be freezing?
    No. She doesnt be freezing when she's retreving duck from rivers and lakes in the height of winter either. She's a working gundog and is used to hardy weather.

Ah Stevo come on....even a bit of straw bedding for her.
    My friends have a fantastic working springer who sleeps outside and he loves his kennel to be packed with straw. It lasts months and months. Or even a few old blankets.
    Just think of all the work she does for you...a little comfort?!!
    Rant over!
    Hope her paw is better today.:)

• Advertisement

Eibhin wrote: »
    Ah Stevo come on....even a bit of straw bedding for her.
    My friends have a fantastic working springer who sleeps outside and he loves his kennel to be packed with straw. It lasts months and months. Or even a few old blankets.
    Just think of all the work she does for you...a little comfort?!!
    Rant over!
    Hope her paw is better today.:)
    Ah no honestly she's fine. We had a dog with straw bedding before and she ended up catching ear might from the straw so we dont use that anymore and and blankets we have given her she rags everywhere. Honestly she is a quite happy dog the way she is and the cold had never dettered her.

I have personally seen Gundogs of my friends who have been given the really comfey life with beds and heat and i have seen them refuse to go into cold rivers and lakes after duck that were shot. In my opinion if im going to shoot and kill a duck i need to know 100% that the dog is going to enter that cold water to retreive that duck or else the bird had been killed for no reason.

The paw is coming on nicely so it is. its scabbing up now and looks to be on the mend.:)

stevoman wrote: »
    No. She doesnt be freezing when she's retreving duck from rivers and lakes in the height of winter either. She's a working gundog and is used to hardy weather.

When she is out hunting she is warmer from running around. Poor dog.
    I have been using straw for animals for years and none ever caught ear mites from it. Besides, even if they did, ear mites are easily treated with ear drops. It's not like she got cancer from the straw.

I have been using straw for animals for years and none ever caught ear mites from it. Besides, even if they did, ear mites are easily treated with ear drops. It's not like she got cancer from the straw.

Look the dog is fine ok. Trust me i am her owner and she is very well looked after.

I was looking to hear from other people who have encountered lick granuloma before that all.

And just for the record, when we are out duck decoying she isnt running around, she is sitting right beside me staying very still with her dog jacket thats she puts on after she has come out of the lake.

I know how to look after my dog thanks so i dont really want your advice. Shes not a poor dog. She's a very welll maintained, well excersised and very happy dog. The vets who know me and her in the place where i work would be very quick to agree, and id think they'd know what they are talking about.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Magenta can you please stop accusing people of mistreating their animals.

Ive had more users reporting your posts than anyone elses in the forum over the last week or so and honestly Id appreciate it if you think before you post.

The OP asked for advice on treating the dogs illness and you once again straight away start that hes mistreating the dog.

Twice in 2 days Ive had to respond to your posts after users reporting them--the next time Im issuing an infraction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

hey Stevo - not sure if this may help or if you have seen it?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lick_granuloma

Treatment of the primary cause, if known, is essential. The dog should be tested for allergies, and treated accordingly if positive (fatty acids, antihistamines, hypoallergic diet, etc). It may also be necessary to check thyroid levels as hypothyroidism seems to play a role in some cases, particularly in black Labrador retrievers; thyroid medication often will resolve the problem if it's due to hypothyroidism. [4]
    Recently, a new dermatology bioscaffold developed by TR Matrix evidenced a reduction in lesion size, inflammation, and improvement in hair growth in dogs with refractory distal limb lesions (pending abstract).
    In psychogenic cases, dealing with psychological factors is most important. Factors should be identified such as being left alone all day, being confined, and changes in the household. Correction of these causes may include increased walks, avoiding confinement, and more interaction in the home.
    Psychogenic causes include boredom, stress, or separation anxiety. Lick granulomas are especially seen in large active dogs left alone for long periods of time.
    It is important to note that many dogs will lick at another leg, creating a new lick granuloma, if they are prevented from licking at the original one while it heals.

also wiki links into this http://www.thepetcenter.com/article.aspx?id=3385

No need for that.

You have a pm.

PaulB91 wrote: »
    hey Stevo - not sure if this may help or if you have seen it

Thanks for the links. Yeah im going to take her back to th ver tomorow, is seems to be spreading now. Id love to know whats causing it. I really hope it is a infection and not OCD.

She has been fine and healthy up until now. I wa thinking about getting a second dog, but not a gun dog as trying to train 2 may be too much on me. I was thinking in the line of a jack russell. It would be nice fot her to have company 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Hmm do get back to us and let us know what the vet says.

My younger Lhasa was itchy from August, scratching a lot (she was flea'd and wormed etc) and used to chew her paws a lot. She loves playing out the back etc, so the vet first thought it was harvest mites and gave her anti bs and she improved for a time. The it started happening again, and she was up half the night scratching/chewing, poor sod and went back, vet couldn't see any evidence of anything, so tried a cortizone type spray (which she hates but it works for a while) and gave her a shot to take the intensity out of the itch.

This went on and off til the end of November and the vet was thinking next step special blood tests and if she'd an allergy we could get a solution made up that we could inject her with every so often to keep it at bay.
    We'd pulled up all the evergreen trees from out the back incase it was them.
    But then he noticed one or two red spots and came to the conclusion she might have fox mange (lots of foxes in our area) - so her and my other Lhasa were booked in for a series of baths. They finished just before christmas and they really helped. (the other dog had started a bit of scratching before the baths).

It's now March and she's chewing her paws again. I can see no redness, she can't have fox mange (they got their flea treatment which includes fox mange the other week).
    So either it's an allergy / she needs another groom / or this OCD thing you've mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

ye i got company for my Box/lab - was initially supposed to be just a GSD rescue, but then she had pups, so he has her and two of the pups - pretty sure he ain't lonely now ;o)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

had a dog that did this growing up.
    she developed a large red lump on her paw where she licked it and gnawed at it sometimes.
    my mother brought her to the vet, eventually. Was informed that it was a tumour, and she was put down.

best to bring the dog to the vet sooner rather than later I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

stevoman, I was going to ask you if you had another dog, but judging by your last post (thinking of getting a second) you don't.
    So the following may help star-pants:
    We had our lad attend a behaviourist a few months ago. She was talking about dogs needing structure in their pack - hierarchy etc. She explained why by the following case that she'd come across: A dog was licking its paw excessively and all physical medical issues were ruled out. The dog that was licking its paw was one of two in the house. She looked at how the dogs were treated. It turned out that the older dog was always treated, rubbed, greeted etc before the younger dog as they had, obviously, had that dog longer.
    It was suggested that this was changed: feed the younger one first, greet the younger one first, rub, kiss, cuddle, talk to, whatever you do, do it to the younger dog first.
    The younger dog was attempting to make its way up through the ranks in the pack, but was being held back from doing so by the actions of the owners.
    When they made these changs the dog was automatically promoted in hierarchy and stopped licking its paw.

Worth a go!

to clarify: All packs have a natural hierarchy. I'm not talking about acting dog whisperer, top-dog, Alpha-rolling your dog etc. Once you know who is where and treat accordingly, it can mean happier, healthier times for all. Simple, gentle measures are far more effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Cheers Kildara - thing is I try to treat them both the same as much as possible.
    Try to say hi to both at the same time (as both clamber to say hi). Generally the younger one gets played with more because she's more active and wants to play fetch, the older one is less interested.
    I made sure that one wouldn't get more attention than the other when we first got the pup a year ago so that one or other wouldn't get jealous.

star-pants wrote: »
    Hmm do get back to us and let us know what the vet says.
    Brought her to the vet on friday and she prescibed fuciderm cream and she also got the big lamp shade collar so she cant be lcking at it.

if it doesnt heal in around 7 days we have to go back and cut off all the skin around that she seems to be licking incase there is an infection in it.

Shes out of action now for the week, i cant wait to get into the fields with her so i cant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i have a english bulldog he is always licking his paws,because he is allergic to duck and bird droppings,as i live on a bird sanctuary there is very little i can do about it,the best cure i have found so far is to wash his paws in hibi scrub [chorhexidine gluconate] and put on aloe vera gell,it seems to cure it for a week or so,

Advertisement