Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE Report on Wilmot's Childcare Annacotty

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭

As reported in the National Press here Wilmot's Childcare Annacotty has come under criticism from the HSE for what it has described as some "areas of concern" including and as quoted from the above referenced article:

* The use of "punitive and inappropriate" disciplinary methods by staff, which should be stopped immediately.
    * Young children left standing up against a wall for long periods of time as a disciplinary measure.
    * A lack supervision of children by staff.
    * Minimal interaction between staff and children.
    * Overcrowding.
    The report contained a list of recommendations to address the concerns raised.

The report noted that Ms Wilmot told the HSE that staff had not followed agreed procedures for dealing with challenging behaviour. Disciplinary action had been taken and there had been decisive action to ensure there was no repetition, she said.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

And she would have got away with it too if it wasn't for those pesky kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jobloggs

1) If the Parents of the child in question found the issue serious enough to report to the HSE, why are they still using the service ? Seems like an over reaction to me.

2) I understand there has to be standards adheared to but the HSE's (Goverments) standards aren't great when it come to the service they provide i.e.
    i) Teacher\Pupil ratio in schools.
    ii) Waiting lists for speech assessment, and many other services
    iii) A & E waiting times (I was in A & E recently with baby, waiting 5 hours with child screaming her head off, before seen by a doctor. Baby was very dehidrated at thsi stage)
    iv) Need I go on !!!!!!

3) I use Wilmots Childcare and have to say service is excellent and have always found management & staff to be very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

should your name not be rosemarybloggs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

jobloggs wrote: »
    1) If the Parents of the child in question found the issue serious enough to report to the HSE, why are they still using the service ? Seems like an over reaction to me.

2) I understand there has to be standards adheared to but the HSE's (Goverments) standards aren't great when it come to the service they provide i.e.
    i) Teacher\Pupil ratio in schools.
    ii) Waiting lists for speech assessment, and many other services
    iii) A & E waiting times (I was in A & E recently with baby, waiting 5 hours with child screaming her head off, before seen by a doctor. Baby was very dehidrated at thsi stage)
    iv) Need I go on !!!!!!

3) I use Wilmots Childcare and have to say service is excellent and have always found management & staff to be very professional.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

There should be surprise/unscheduled visits by well trained Staff of some description who arrive unexpectedly in Crèches and then proceed through every room from the Offices to the Kitchens observing conditions and Staff behaviour, checking that the Staff to Child ratios are ok etc.

- If Child neglect or dangerous practices are found then there should be serious consequences - if the Management are demonstrably negligent then shut them down immediately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement