Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ZyXel router as an Access Point

• 15-03-2010 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I guess mods can move it if not

On to my problem, I have one of those Zyxel routers from Perlico. I think the model number is 655 or something like that. Anyway, I am in a hotel in Sweden at the moment, which doesn't have wireless and I want to connect the router to the lan socket and use it as a Wireless Access Point. Question 1, is this even possible (I guess it is, if the router is only acting as a bridge rather than a router). Secondly, how do I access the router configuration webpages. When I go to 192.168.1.1 all I get is a page asking me for a password. There is nowhere to enter the admin username. is there a certain port I need to go to, or a certain address eg 192.168.1.1/admin.
    Once I do get onto the admin pages, what changes should I make in order to use this router as just an access point. I guess turn off dhcp, but are any other changes required.

Many Thanks
    Dace

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The hotel's router may be the same address as your Zyxel, so that's what's happening.

Connect to the router, without the router being connected to the Ethernet port in the hotel. Change it's address to something like 192.168.0.1, to take it out of the range that the hotel is using. You can also set anything else you need to at this point. Switch off DHCP anyway.

Re-connect it to the Ethernet port,and you should be good to go. Any further edits can be done by connecting to the router's new address that you just set.

The router will now be a simple wireless switch, and not doing any routing. Your computer's IP will be assigned by the hotel, and not the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Thanks for replying jor el. I guessed it would be simple enough, but just needed to confirm.
    I don't suppose you know how to access the router configuration page. As I said when I go to 192.168.1.1 all I am asked for is a password, so there is no where to enter the admin username.

Just to clarify, all I have when trying to configure the router, is the netbook connected to the router via ethernet. The router is not connected to anything else

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Have you ever been able to access the router config page? I don't know what the password would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

To be honest I have just opened it up. Have never used it before.
    I was mistakenly sent one by vodafone, who then also sent me a huawei router, and I still had my netopia from eircom working, so I brought this to Sweden with me, box and all, thinking to use it as an access point.
    I know what the passwords are, I just canät see how to enter admin / expert mode from the webpage

Advertisement