Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Question..

• 15-03-2010 12:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

Watching the game yesterday with my young lad and he asked me a question about the lines on the pitch.

What are the small semi-circles attached to the peno areas for.
    Anyone

Sorry if this is a stupid question but it has me :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Watching the game yesterday with my young lad and he asked me a question about the lines on the pitch.

Anyone

Sorry if this is a stupid question but it has be :confused:

It's an exclusion zone for anybody other than a peno taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Ush1 wrote: »
    It's an exclusion zone for anybody other than a peno taker.

exactly - it marks 10 yards from the penalty spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

far as i can remember its for when there is a penalty, only the keeper and the kicker are allowed to be inside from the D

someone can put that into better english then me of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Thanks lads , of course ,:eek:

Was just drawing a Total blank ,
    Thanks again.

Can go back to been the know all , amazing figure that I am ,well at least in his eyes ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's an exclusion zone that marks 10 yards from the penalty spot, obviously.

Oh I see other people have already responded, I didn't notice that before replying myself......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

I think it's so that keepers can estimate their position on the goal line by lining up the penalty spot with various points on the arc.

Edit: Too late.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

ROCKMAN wrote: »

Anyone

Sorry if this is a stupid question but it has me :confused:

At least you weren't the only person who didn't know OP.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Nice one, my girlfriend asked me this last month and i meant to check it out but forgot.

Can't remember what i said at the time but whatever it was must've been total rubbish cos i hadn't a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Yeah. The semi circle marks 10 yards from the penalty spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

I think it's so that keepers can estimate their position on the goal line by lining up the penalty spot with various points on the arc.

Why would goalkeepers use something thats 20 yards away to mark where they're standing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Do keepers really do that?? I never thought past it just being an exclusion zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

I heard it's some kind of exclusion zone for penalties. 10 yards radius as far as I know.

Advertisement