Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

licance problem

• 15-03-2010 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭

hi i have been driving for a year and a half with an a1 provisinal licance i'm 19 now do i need to do a test again to get an a licance i want to up grade bike to something bigger
    Regards phil

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

A1 limits you to 125cc so yes you'll need to upgrade to an A licence. As long as you're theory test cert is still valid (two year expiration I think?) you can apply for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭philmire

Hi Kamikaza
    Thanks for the info so quick
    i need to get back on the road quickly as my nsr has kicked the bucket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭Richie15

When I originally got my car permit, it was the ABMW theory test, so I ticked A1 and M aswell (bit of foresight, you might say) but I was only 17 so couldn't get A at the time. Two years later, when it expired and I had just started driving the car, I needed to renew it and ticked A aswell. Theory cert would've been well expired by then, but I got away with it. Don't know did I just get lucky, but apply for the permit before you shell out €36.50 for a new Theory test, not to mention the cost of the book.

Incidentally, I had the opposite problem a few months ago when I was getting my C permit. Decided to tick EB aswell, just for the craic, but he said my car theory cert was expired. That was true, but you don't need a theory cert for an E licence! Took ages to get it sorted, I told him not to bother but he was very helpful.

Anyway, yeh - apply for the licence and see what they say.

Richie15 wrote: »
    When I originally got my car permit, it was the ABMW theory test, so I ticked A1 and M aswell (bit of foresight, you might say) but I was only 17 so couldn't get A at the time. Two years later, when it expired and I had just started driving the car, I needed to renew it and ticked A aswell. Theory cert would've been well expired by then, but I got away with it. Don't know did I just get lucky, but apply for the permit before you shell out €36.50 for a new Theory test, not to mention the cost of the book.

Incidentally, I had the opposite problem a few months ago when I was getting my C permit. Decided to tick EB aswell, just for the craic, but he said my car theory cert was expired. That was true, but you don't need a theory cert for an E licence! Took ages to get it sorted, I told him not to bother but he was very helpful.

Anyway, yeh - apply for the licence and see what they say.

It used to expire after 5 years, maybe that's what happened that you didn't have to redo do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

If you did a theory test for the A1 licence then you can apply for the A without re-sitting the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't bother with the EB unless you really need it, I don't think many schools/people have suitable vehicles and trailers. If you go on for an EC licence you get the EB by default.

Sorry for going OT and talking about cages:eek:

Del2005 wrote: »
    Don't bother with the EB unless you really need it, I don't think many schools/people have suitable vehicles and trailers. If you go on for an EC licence you get the EB by default.

Sorry for going OT and talking about cages:eek:

Yeh I know, not planning on learning in an EB vehicle but if I need to tow a heavy trailer between now and the time I get my EC licence, I can just stick up L-Plates and get my dad to come with me. Not very likely, but I'd like to have the option. I did say to the fella I could do without it if it's causing any hassle, but he insisted, went above and beyond the call of duty! He's obviously not a real public servant. :p

Who said anything about cages? :eek:

This the link you meant to post?
    Driving Test Vehicle Category

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Who said anything about cages? :eek:

It's a motorbikes forum and we're discussing B licences:D
    This the link you meant to post?
    Driving Test Vehicle Category

Yeah that's what I was looking for. No idea why I couldn't find that on the Driving test website.

Del2005 wrote: »
    It's a motorbikes forum and we're discussing B licences:D

Thought this was "Learning to Drive!" :eek:

lmao

• Advertisement
Advertisement