Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to find a great UI/UE / graphics design person?

Options
  • 15-03-2010 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I'm trying to help the software company I work for find an amazing UI/UE / graphics design person who can help improve the design of our innovative iPhone and web applications, and contribute to some other graphics design projects.

I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to find a top-of-the-class student / graduate from one of the best courses in the country and ask them to work for us for a few months with a view to a longer-term position... but I'm not sure which are the very best courses.

What courses / colleges do you think I should contact? NCAD? Ballyfermot College of Further Education? Dun Laoghaire Institute of Art, Design and Technology? DIT? CIT?

We're based near Cork, by the sea... really cool location and it's a great place to work... so if anyone knows someone who might be interested, or can recommend a course I should contact, maybe they can send me a PM?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

When it comes to that kind of stuff, there's not that many folks in Ireland, the courses aren't focused on stuff like this really. Best place is probably the University of Ulster's Interactive Media course, though there's always a few from any of the design courses. I'd go for someone with more experience if you want to produce really top notch stuff.

I'd generally recommend working with freelancers for this type of stuff, it's hard to get good inhouse people at the moment.

Feel free to contact me, details and portfolio in my profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭musicinmouth

Hi P,

Thanks a million for your reply. I've just sent you an e-mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

like I said in the jobs section:

You should place an ad on Creativeireland.com.

You should write a good job spec with a list of skill required, duration of the project, etc.

You will get plenty of talented persons applying I'm sure.

To be honest I don't understand why you want a recent graduate! Why not someone who has experience?

Thanks! We'd prefer to find someone with 5+ years experience, but we're finding it hard to find someone like that, which is why I thought it might be a good idea to contact some of the main related courses.

Thanks for the tip about CreativeIreland!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

As P said, there's not many solely ui designers in Ireland, I think as a country we are too small for such a niche, at the moment anyway. My question to you though is, why go from looking for 5+ years experience, to none? That doesn't make sense to me?

• Advertisement

We are still looking for an experienced UI/UE person - preferably 5+ years experience, but would love to hear from anyone with experience who could be a good fit. As my department needs some graphics work done - I thought it might be useful to find a top-class student who can work on those graphics design projects - and may turn out to be a great UI designer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

We are still looking for an experienced UI/UE person - preferably 5+ years experience, but would love to hear from anyone with experience who could be a good fit. As my department needs some graphics work done - I thought it might be useful to find a top-class student who can work on those graphics design projects - and may turn out to be a great UI designer as well.
    CIT do a course in Multimedia and a masters in Media design as a follow on. Total experience in this respect = 5yrs. This course produces many talented students mature and general, that are at the cutting edge of development and design.

It is a challenging course and quite innovative and it a great resource for any employer such as yourself.

PM me for more details. I have one person in mind who would fit the bill for you as a talented individual who is graduating this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

digital media design in university of limerick is very strongly focused on user interface and user experience

if you want i can give you contact details for heads of courses and the interaction design center, pm me

edit; i would also hazard a guess that the interactive design center in ul is probably the best in the country as far as who they are working with and their faculty talent i couldnt tell you how good their undergrads are even though i am one :p. they do alot of partnerships on projects with industry so depending on the size of you project you could talk to them about doing something together maybewith their phd students or even their lecturers

Advertisement