Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much fertilizer?

• 15-03-2010 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I had a soil sample analysed recently, and with the results in mind I spread lime onto grazing paddocks at a rate of just over a tonne to the acre, I now have to make up the p+k deficit, so I'm planning to go out with 24-2.5-10.
    I can already see the green in the paddocks, so I was wondering what rate I should spread the fertilizer?I was thinking two bags to the acre, but with my level of experience I'd like to know what others think?
    I've also been advised to go with granular into my silage ground, one/half bags to the acre-followed again in mid april with Cut Sward.
    The grazing has had slurry at a couple of thousand gallons to the acre, but that was spread in the frosty weather, and was relatively thin to boot.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

whats granular and its make up. if you put slurry on graze area no need now for more p/k spread it later in the year, straight nitro now 1.5 bags acre. silage needs pk now if no slurry spread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

granular lime..read this....http://www.gouldings.ie/topical_issues07.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Arcadia1

When you say straight do you mean Urea?Or CAN?I'm presuming you mean Urea, Leg.
    Same paddocks get a good coat of slurry each year and yet show low K.
    Is it certainly the case that this year's slurry will make up the K difference, given the frost?
    Thanks for the Granular info Wiggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

don't really know exactly your query ( I can be a bit slow at times) . all I would say is do NOT use 24/2.5/10 on grazing paddocks if you have dairy or suckler cows. it would greatly increase the risk of grass tetany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

snowman707 wrote: »
    don't really know exactly your query ( I can be a bit slow at times) . all I would say is do NOT use 24/2.5/10 on grazing paddocks if you have dairy or suckler cows. it would greatly increase the risk of grass tetany

Why you say that snowman?

• Advertisement

wiggy123 wrote: »
    op never said lime was woundering what it was, nitrogen and urea are 2 different products , i meant can [nitrogen].

grazing high K (potash) swards is one of the biggest causes of tetany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭adne

so 18-6-12 on pasture is an even higher risk ??
    And 10-10-20 even higher again ???

i thought lush green grass was the cause and not potash:eek:

Ok let me put this out there again-I understand it's not good to follow lime spread land(ground lime)with Urea.
    So in that case, should I go back to Can for my grazing paddocks?
    They've had no fertilizer so far, just slurry and ground lime.
    And at what rate would anybody advise per acre?

• Advertisement

Arcadia1 wrote: »
    Ok let me put this out there again-I understand it's not good to follow lime spread land(ground lime)with Urea.
    So in that case, should I go back to Can for my grazing paddocks?
    They've had no fertilizer so far, just slurry and ground lime.
    And at what rate would anybody advise per acre?

you will have some N from the slurry maybe 5 to 10 units . 1 to 1.5 bags per ac should be sufficient, you say paddocks so I presume you are a rotation system and best to apply little and often maybe top up with 20 to 30 units per acre every 4 to 6 weeks, who ever done the soil sampling should have given you recommendations of the fertilizer to use.
    leg wax wrote: »
    i thought lush green grass was the cause and not potash:eek:

what produces "lush" grass

"Grass tetany is always associated with low levels of magnesium in the animal’s blood serum. There are a number of reasons why blood serum magnesium is low.
    First, cereal crops such as wheat, rye, and oats are low in magnesium content, especially in the spring and fall.

Second, soil low in magnesium will cause low magnesium content in plants. High levels of some other elements, such as potassium, will cause a sharp drop in the plants’ uptake of magnesium.

Third, the magnesium level in forage decreases with cold temperatures or cloudy weather conditions that favor fast growth.

Fourth, low dry matter content along with high concentrations of nitrogen in forage decreases the magnesium level in blood serum of cows eating such forage. High potassium along with high nitrogen is more dangerous than either one alone."

Thanks for that Snowman-correct to say I'm on a rotation system here-I'll go with CAN at the 1.5 bags to the acre this year.
    The application of lime has been the crucial intervention, started working this farm only a few years ago after my father retired.
    Thanks to all for advice, appreciate it.

Arcadia1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that Snowman-correct to say I'm on a rotation system here-I'll go with CAN at the 1.5 bags to the acre this year.
    The application of lime has been the crucial intervention, started working this farm only a few years ago after my father retired.
    Thanks to all for advice, appreciate it.

you will soon learn to budget your fert usage to your grass needs, it will be next year before you see the full benefit of the lime.

Good Luck !!

Advertisement