Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for help choosing a VPS package

Options
  • 15-03-2010 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭

We're looking to upgrade our website from shared hosting to a VPS. The available options from our current hosting company are 640mb RAM, 960mb RAM, and 1280mb RAM - obviously rising in price for each one.

I'm unsure which to choose, and could do with a little advice. It's an eCommerce website running a Plesk v9 control panel. The site rarely has more than 10 visitors at the same time, but each visitor pages through the catalogue very quickly - 10 pages a minute in some cases. Ideally we want to be able to handle 5 times this traffic without any slow down. Database access is kept to a minimum, with about 3 queries for each page displayed - all the queries are resource light.

So my question is, would the lower end VPS package be sufficient, or would we need to go with a higher package?

p.s. I'm not looking for recommendations for a hosting company. We're happy with the company we're with. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

The fact it's running at a decent speed on a shared hosting platform at the moment, means that you should see an increase in speed no matter what plan you move to, the entry level plan should suit you to start with, the beauty of VPS is you can easily upgrade the spec as the traffic/load on the site grows without any downtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭J_Wholesale

Good advice. Thanks for that.

Advertisement