Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Universe in a Nutshell (Stephen Hawking)

Options
  • 15-03-2010 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read this book?

I have to re-read alot of it twice now that I'm halfway through the book! Serioulsy mind boggling stuff. I wouldn't dare attempt a brief history of time just yet.

I know this is more physics but if you're into astronomy I'd definately recommend it.

-Nigel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Nearly need a new book to read-is it heavy going- im not a beginner but appreciate simple language!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Yeah it isn't that bad. Has plenty of graphs and diagrams to help understand the physics.

I'd definately recommend it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Sykk wrote: »
    I wouldn't dare attempt a brief history of time just yet.

Saw a great version of it in Easons, had all color diagrams, looked MUCH easyer to follow that my old text edition (that I lent to someone 4 years ago!)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

Sykk wrote: »
    I wouldn't dare attempt a brief history of time just yet.

Oh do, its a fantastic read and its not as complicated as you fear! Most of it is explained really well and (I don't know if you're a layman like me or not, just assuming!) easy for the layman to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

Both books are pretty much the same level. I remember a Brief History had the odd passage that just goes nuts, stuff like going in a circle around the universe and arriving back before you left, or not... I forget :p

There's a re-release of A Brief History, called a BriefER History of Time with some updates, I think the Black Hole controversey between Hawking & Susskind is the main reason for the reprint.

There are some other books that follow a similar formula to these books, The Black Hole War, The Elegant Universe, Warped Passages, Just Six Numbers, The Red Limit... all crazy and beautiful in their own right ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement