Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search & rescue services cut in southeast

• 15-03-2010 1:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0315/coastguard.html

"...Search and rescue helicopter bases in Dublin, Shannon and Sligo are to remain with 24-hour cover, but the Waterford service operated from Waterford regional airport is to be reduced to a 12-hour, daylight only service. This would save an estimated €1m per year...."

Another kick in the teeth for the south east.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Indeed, another kick for the SE. Since the local base has been involved in so many high profile night time rescues on the trawler fleet in the past few years, its particularly worrying to see the cutback in service.

So is the advice now that if your going to have a boating accident, make sure its within normal office hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pathetic stuff, a saving of a million a year sounds a lot and yet in the context of a 500 million contract is buttons. I suspect the penny pinchers on the Dept of Finance are expecting the RAF in Wales to take up the slack as and when.

Oh wait - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=201176088412
    There are plans to reduce helicopter cover at Chivenor from 24 hours to 12 hours a day so the South West and South Wales would have very limited cover at night.

The 24 hour service currently covers all air sea rescue work in the area, as well as Cornwall when the Culdrose helicopters are out, Dartmoor and Brecon Beacons search and rescue, and medivac services when the Devon Air Ambulance cannot fly (at night!). Chivenor also transfers critically ill patients between hospitals

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭chelloveks

mike65 wrote: »
    Pathetic stuff, a saving of a million a year sounds a lot and yet in the context of a 500 million contract is buttons. I suspect the penny pinchers on the Dept of Finance are expecting the RAF in Wales to take up the slack as and when.

Oh wait - http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=201176088412

Maybe the French can cover the SE? Yeah, lets ask the French for help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

U will be looking at alot of job losses out there too if the helicopter goes.....25 jobs are dependent on that.... but more importanly peoples LIVES will be at risk.... all people using the southeast waters and others places will be in serious trouble if they are counting on a fast response

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

With water comes danger, and in particular you'd think in light of the terrible high profile tragedies which have struck the stretch of coast between Wexford and Cork, that this service would be seen as essential.

€1m measly euro, and whoever made this decision will unfortunately have blood on their hands. Total disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

There is no way on earth we can allow this to happen lads and ladies. Its 2 fingers to us in the South East again.

You have to have 24 hour cover on areas with major sea ports, but yet again, Waterford has no voice up there where keeping western TDs happy is more important than South easterners lives.

Im SICK of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Bodan

Shortly after Cullen resigns, there are cuts in the south East. CIE are talking about closing the Limerick to Rosslare line and now this. I can help but wonder what's next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Bodan wrote: »
    Shortly after Cullen resigns, there are cuts in the south East. CIE are talking about closing the Limerick to Rosslare line and now this. I can help but wonder what's next.
    At this rate im guessing theyre gonna get rid of both bridges and let us float away :mad:

We owe it to the people of coastal areas in Wexford, Waterford and East Cork to do everything we can to overturn this utter tripe.

I've sent emails to our "TDs".. and anyone else I could think of up there.

Feel free to voice your concern..

brendan.kenneally@oireachtas.ie
    john.deasy@oireachtas.ie
    martin.cullen@oireachtas.ie
    brian.oshea@oireachtas.ie
    eamon.gilmore@oireachtas.ie
    enda.kenny@finegael.ie
    eamon.ryan@oireachtas.ie
    Dan.Boyle@oireachtas.ie
    john.gormley@oireachtas.ie
    taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie
    noel.dempsey@oireachtas.ie

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Trotter wrote: »
    We owe it to the people of coastal areas in Wexford, Waterford and East Cork to do everything we can to overturn this utter tripe.

I've sent emails to our "TDs".. and anyone else I could think of up there.

Feel free to voice your concern..

brendan.kenneally@oireachtas.ie
    john.deasy@oireachtas.ie
    martin.cullen@oireachtas.ie
    brian.oshea@oireachtas.ie
    eamon.gilmore@oireachtas.ie
    enda.kenny@finegael.ie
    eamon.ryan@oireachtas.ie
    Dan.Boyle@oireachtas.ie
    john.gormley@oireachtas.ie
    taoiseach@taoiseach.gov.ie
    noel.dempsey@oireachtas.ie
    Well done Trotter. I plan to do the same. Hopefully others will follow.
    This can not be allowed to happen. The people of the Southeast need to standup now and prevent this disaster.

• Advertisement

Beeker wrote: »
    Well done Trotter. I plan to do the same. Hopefully others will follow.
    This can not be allowed to happen. The people of the Southeast need to standup now and prevent this disaster.

If they let this go to 12 hour, the next step will be to shut it down. I've seen the work these lads and ladies do at first hand, and trust me, they are people and a service that the city and county just cannot afford to lose.

I wonder if a mod might put a redirect of this thread into the county forum so we can get our heads together? This is most certainly not a county/city thing. It could effect all of us.

It could be any of us that needs these people to come along at night and rescue us. We have to be loud on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

The amount of times i see the helicopter bein used flying over my house i was shocked to hear they plan on cutting it , its a joke , a much needed service and we the south east suffer all because of money , unfortunately if this does happen lifes will be lost.:(
    Join their facebook page i joined today ,if it helps in anyway at least we can keep up to date maybe
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=194533107565&ref=mf

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Lets not forget this is not just a Waterford thing. They cover the Southeast. So Wexford, Waterford and Cork coast lines as well as in land, Mountains and rivers in these counties aswell as Kilkenny, Tipp and anywhere else they are required 24 hours a day including Christmas day. This cannot be allowed to happen:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It's unbelievable. €1 million is nothing in the grand scheme of things. It really isn't worth halving a vital service for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

This would sicken your stomac when you pick up a paper and read about all the golden handshakes and payoffs that the government is handing out. For the love of god Roddy Malloy and Patrick Neary got golden handshakes that came to nearly double the 1 million saved.

Id be all for a try up to dublin and beating the money out of someone. We could ask Mary Coughlan or John O Donoghue they seem to be handing it out willy nilly.

Id love to know what our local representives in the Dail have to say eapecially Kenneally.

I've spotted this from Brian O'Shea. Incidentally, he came back to my email within minutes.

http://labour.ie/press/listing/12686700328370981.html

Here's the text of his statement..
    I was shocked to hear today that the Government has plans to reduce to a daylight-only operation, the marine search and rescue service at Waterford Regional Airport.

Over the last two years we have seen the government embark on one crude cost-cutting exercise after another, but this is a step too far, and the people of Waterford and the South East will simply not stand for it

Effectively the Dept of Transport is saying that the safety of fishermen in other parts of the country is more important than that of fishermen in the South East.

There is no justification for this, and I demand that the Government scrap this unfair and unreasonable plan. I will be raising this most serious matter in the Dail next week.

This Government somehow believes that people in the South East will take any type of ill-treatment, and not retaliate come a general election. This region deserves it fair share, just as any other region does, and the days of short-changing the South East must end forthwith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Bodan wrote: »

Next is the withdrawal of funding for the airport extension:

http://www.munster-express.ie/business/no-funds-for-airport-runway-extension/

I've spotted this from Brian O'Shea. Incidentally, he came back to my email within minutes.

http://labour.ie/press/listing/12686700328370981.html

Here's the text of his statement..
    Yeah he replied to my e-mail straight away. So fast in fact he could not have read it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭flan59

Plenty time before the Green Party Conference in Waterford to get a signed petition to hand in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭deisedol

If they let this go to 12 hour, the next step will be to shut it down. I've seen the work these lads and ladies do at first hand, and trust me, they are people and a service that the city and county just cannot afford to lose.

I wonder if a mod might put a redirect of this thread into the county forum so we can get our heads together? This is most certainly not a county/city thing. It could effect all of us.

It could be any of us that needs these people to come along at night and rescue us. We have to be loud on this one.

totally agree this is not just a city issue, and we should also get a thread going in all the south east area including kilkenny, carlow and wexford. This is a very serious issue for all living in the South East. This is a scandal that the SE is being discriminated against again. We are educationally discriminated against with the lack of a university in the region and now they have no value on our lives too. Revolution i say.....for basic human rights in the South East of the country. It seems the power base is moving further and further away from the South East.

deisedol wrote: »
    totally agree this is not just a city issue, and we should also get a thread going in all the south east area including kilkenny, carlow and wexford. This is a very serious issue for all living in the South East. This is a scandal that the SE is being discriminated against again. We are educationally discriminated against with the lack of a university in the region and now they have no value on our lives too. Revolution i say.....for basic human rights in the South East of the country. It seems the power base is moving further and further away from the South East.
    Done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Waterford should not stand up for this, your city and county is now being taken for a ride by the state.

Between the loosing of the Rosslare line to the east and possibly the Limerick Junction to the west and now there is news of this nonsense.

A face book page must be set up in similar lines to this to help prevent deterioration in essential services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

its simply unbelivable that this is happening after some of the more high profile tradegeys and rescues in recent times happen along the coast here :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

ah i duno altogether ,,lenister house needs to get the cleaners in period :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I'm putting this on the Waterford City section of the South East section as it is one of the better viewed sections of this section of the forum. If i put it on the other sections it would be taken down.

What a disgrace the Department of Transport is, if it carries out it plan do cut the hours the helicopter at Waterford Airport. You are playing with lives and everyone in the south east and cork should get them to change their mind and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

This is already being discussed here tom
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055855149

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 James Mccartan

Help save Southeast 24 hour Search and Rescue Service

http://www.rinnasharksac.net/portal.htm

click on link

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Topic Merged

Advertisement