Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search & rescue services cut in southeast

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Surely the money should have gone to the Air Corps in the 1st place, (500 million over a 10 year period) to run all the search and rescue operations nationwide. The money would stay in this country.

the Air Corps is unlucky in that the Department of Defense has been the boot-boy of every Irish Government for generations now,under funded & under equipped

you can't dispute they were a great bunch of lads in heli squadron,who were always fighting with one hand tied behind their backs due to incompetent management

but alas the air corps showed time and time again that they weren't in a position to provide adequate cover,and infact several senior officers in the corps showed 0 interest in heli ops of any kind

anyway it's a mute point,most of the air corps crew have left and are now in the coastguard anyway,the skillset has largely left the air corps,and would cost millions to get back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

well YOU certainly dont give a shyte, because you will dutifully go out at the next election and vote for the crowd of gangsters who'ved implemented this cut! so less of the patronising nonsense please!!

You seem to be getting quite personal.

Might want to tone it down a bit, please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

What Noel Dempsey said today about how the new helicopters is not good enough. The South East should not have to do without a service, and he should be contacted again and again and again till he gets the message. The South East needs a 24 hour service. Would he get away with it if the service was to be taken out of Dublin, i doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

How many of you have signed the online petition attached to the facebook page. Just to let you all know, in Waterford we have approx 60 public represenatives, and a guick glance though the names of those that signed up to the 6,246 signature give or take two or three, 8 have signed the petition, 2 of whom signed without Cllr or TD attached to their name. Well done to the two for not making the thing political.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

but it IS political!!! you wont get away with that old shyte on this issue!
    the decision to downgrade the service has ultimately been taken by a POLITICIAN!!

I truly despair sometimes at the sheer brass neck of you FF supporters and members!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

There will be a protest in Tramore tomorrow on the prom near the helicopter memorial. It starts at 9am and the helicopter will land on the prom at 10.30!

Everyone is urged to attend so get down there and support the protest!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

scout353 wrote: »
    There will be a protest in Tramore tomorrow on the prom near the helicopter memorial. It starts at 9am and the helicopter will land on the prom at 10.30!

Not a very noticable place for a protest surely, perhaps actually protest outside some sort of goverment office instead where you'll actually be noticed by people

Tramore isn't exactly packed at 9am on a saturday morning

I honestly dont think a protest will do any good. A constant flow of emails, letters and Phonecalls to the TD's in the area might have a quicker reversal of the stupid decision taken.

Minister Dempsey or his department to the best of my knowlege are not answering emails/letters from the public, but will have to if people keep bombarding him. It can be done in a very civilised way. There should be no need for anyone to be nasty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I honestly dont think a protest will do any good. A constant flow of emails, letters and Phonecalls to the TD's in the area might have a quicker reversal of the stupid decision taken.

Minister Dempsey or his department to the best of my knowlege are not answering emails/letters from the public, but will have to if people keep bombarding him. It can be done in a very civilised way. There should be no need for anyone to be nasty.
    100% with you on that. e-mail them non stop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Protest should be outside the Green party convention in the Tower Hotel. At the very least it will attract some national media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Cabaal wrote: »
    Not a very noticable place for a protest surely, perhaps actually protest outside some sort of goverment office instead where you'll actually be noticed by people

Tramore isn't exactly packed at 9am on a saturday morning
    Read the Facebook page (I don't have the direct link handy), but the idea behind the protest on the beach is to get a few hundred people spelling out S.O.S. which would be a good visual image for the protest to use. I assume it's at 9am due to the tide being fully out then.

The official protest and public meeting will be at the Tower next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Lads and Ladies, just a reminder that the public meeting is on tomorrow night in the Tower at 7:30pm. It really is vital that there's crowds at it. Imagine if the Dept. of Transport get a brief back to say there was only a small crowd there and that the cut hasnt really bothered many. If anyone's got a spare 2 hours, it'd be great to see ya there.

Trotter wrote: »
    Lads and Ladies, just a reminder that the public meeting is on tomorrow night in the Tower at 7:30pm. It really is vital that there's crowds at it. Imagine if the Dept. of Transport get a brief back to say there was only a small crowd there and that the cut hasnt really bothered many. If anyone's got a spare 2 hours, it'd be great to see ya there.
    Hope the local radio reminds people during the day tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Trotter wrote: »

Dept of Transport had "No comment".............:mad: Surprise surprise:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Helicopter off Hook Head looking for a Canoeist

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Excellent news folks - the SAR Helicopter has been saved!
    Waterford is to keep its 24 hour coast guard helicopter rescue service after the Department of Transport backed down in the face of intense pressure, according to local TD Brendan Kenneally. Deputy Kenneally received the positive news this afternoon during a meeting with Minister Dempsey.

There had been fears throughout the South Coast region that the proposed solutions would leave them without a local rescue helicopter during the hours of 9pm to 9am. However after Deputy Kenneally and other Fianna Fáil colleagues pressured the Department on this issue they have decided to continue the 24 hour cover from Waterford.

“I’m delighted that the Department has seen sense and changed their mind over the need for 24 hour helicopter cover,” said Deputy Kenneally. “There were huge deficiencies in what was being proposed and I think if the 12 hour service had been introduced it would have been a disaster for Waterford and the entire South Coast area.”

“As I have been pointing out throughout this whole process you can’t put a price on life, you can’t put a price on safety. Thankfully through the pressure we have been able to put on the Department on this matter they have come around and now the service is secured until 2023 at the earliest.”

“I’d like to thank Minister Dempsey for helping us to secure this result. I’d also like to pay tribute to my Fianna Fáil colleagues on the South Coast, particularly Cllr. Gary Wyse in Waterford, for the work they have done in helping us to turn things around.”

“The public of Waterford and the entire South Coast region, as well all those who have got behind the campaign to save the service also deserve huge praise as without their help in highlighting how essential this service is we would not have been able to reach this conclusion.”

“People often talk about politics being disconnected from the public, but I think this campaign has shown how people can make a very real difference when they come together and push for something passionately and intelligently. The people of the South Coast have saved this service and I hope this shows that there is still something to be said for political action,” Deputy Kenneally concluded.

ENDS.

Its on the Facebook page for the campaigners.

Big "It was all down to me" FF press release, but I think most people will see that it was retained through people power and influence from many other local politicians outside of FF. This was only reversed because of people fighting and fighting very hard. Fair play to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭baronflyguy

mike65 wrote: »
    Helicopter off Hook Head looking for a Canoeist
    Kayaker is missing off slade, co.wexford, full story link here.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0330/wexford.html

He is wearing proper clothing from the news report so fingers crossed they find the kayaker quickly. Conditions are not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd rather wait on more details before we run to the hills in rejoice. Wouldn't be surprised if there are conditions attached to this.

• Advertisement

(OT) Slade is a weird spot, like the location for a Roman Polanski psycho drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭KingLoser

official

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/waterford-to-keep-24-hour-helicopter-cover-452059.html
    Waterford to keep 24-hour helicopter cover
    Print
    30/03/2010 - 17:15:25
    Waterford is to keep its 24-hour coastguard helicopter rescue service after the Department of Transport backed down in the face of intense pressure.

There had been fears throughout the south coast region that cutbacks would leave them without a local rescue helicopter during the hours of 9pm to 9am.

However, following public protests and lobbying by local politicians, the Department of Transort has agreed to continue the 24-hour cover from Waterford.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/waterford-to-keep-24-hour-helicopter-cover-452059.html#ixzz0jg7qME9w

Breaking News
    30/03/2010 - 17:16:16
    A kayaker who had gone missing this afternoon off the coast of Co Wexford has been safely rescued, coastguard officials said.

The kayaker was rescued at around 5.15pm by Waterford Rescue Helicopter having been missing for a number of hours south-east of Slade in Co Wexford in an offshore north-westerly wind.

Lifeboats from Dunmore East, Fethard and Kilmore Quay were also involved in the search, as was the naval vessel LE Orla and local fishing boats.

The kayaker has been transferred to Waterford Regional Hospital, a spokesperson for Dunmore East lifeboat said.

Read more: http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/kayaker-rescued-452060.html#ixzz0jgDwo24y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

great news on both accounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Another U-Turn by the Minister of U-Turns - Dempsey

Sully wrote: »
    Excellent news folks - the SAR Helicopter has been saved!

Its on the Facebook page for the campaigners.

Big "It was all down to me" FF press release, but I think most people will see that it was retained through people power and influence from many other local politicians outside of FF. This was only reversed because of people fighting and fighting very hard. Fair play to all.

To be fair, there was also some of the FF td's fighting hard as well, and Brian Cowan was also aware that the people of the south east were not happy with Minister Dempsey. He was also made aware that the People in some areas of the South East are not happy about the down grading of South Tipperary Gerneral Hospital, and i would expect a decission on that again soon.

Bards wrote: »
    Another U-Turn by the Minister of U-Turns - Dempsey

A welcome U-Turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Deise Tom wrote: »
    A welcome U-Turn

indeed - however, it shows just how inept he really is having to make u-turn after u-turn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Poor Gary Wyse must have had his face firmly planted in his hands this past while as he contemplated the unique thought of knowing he'd have no chance of holding onto a seat that he had won less than a year a go. Brendan Kenneally associated himself very closely with the families and friends of the Pere Charles tragedy so by default he had to oppose it. It probably broke his morally bankrupt heart to do it!

If there's one thing that can always be said of FF, it's that they're "cute hoors". Such a cutback would obliterate FF in Waterford City. They know that. I wouldn't be surprised if this was all staged so that Brendan Kenneally and Gary Wyse could be seen to be acting in the best interests of their constituents and try and win them back a bit of support.

• Advertisement

Great news indeed. Well done to all who e-mailed the politicians, I am sure the pressure put on had some part to play in the reversal. Its a good day for common sense and democracy:)

Advertisement