Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Search & rescue services cut in southeast

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

AdMMM wrote: »

If there's one thing that can always be said of FF, it's that they're "cute hoors". Such a cutback would obliterate FF in Waterford City. They know that. .

In the whole south east! I could easily see them losing out badly already, but if this went ahead theyd be screwed to say the least!

Good call on their political side if nothing else!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

timmywex wrote: »
    In the whole south east! I could easily see them losing out badly already, but if this went ahead theyd be screwed to say the least!

Good call on their political side if nothing else!

Thing about FG is that they tend to do better in urban areas, FF in rural. Outside of Waterford city, a lot of the farmers etc will still vote FF I expect.

FF are nearly finished in Waterford anyway, they only got one seat in the local elections out of 12, have no likely successer to Cullen and I'd be surprised if Brendan Kenneally was returned. It could be possible that there will be no Waterford FF TDs come the next election either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

The Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey T. D. has today announced that the Government has agreed to contract discussions taking place on the extension of the new Search and Rescue helicopter contract to cover a full 24-hour service at all four existing bases.

The "standstill" period following the selection for the preferred tender for the new tender has concluded. The Minister stated: "The initial constraints imposed on me by the procurement process have now ended. I am therefore delighted to be able to confirm that our post-tender negotiations with the preferred bidder, which commenced yesterday, have shown that we can achieve a major reduction in the cost difference between a full 24-hour service at 4 bases and the alternative option which would reduce cover at one of the bases to 12 hours. Under procurement rules, we must now inform the tendering companies of this development, and negotiation of the details of the contract will recommence in approximately two weeks time when a further standstill period has ended."

Successful conclusion of a contract for a four-base 24-hour service would mean the continuation of the Irish Coast Guard (IRCG) Search and Rescue (SAR) helicopter service, by way of a new contract to come into effect on a staggered basis from mid-2012 for a fleet of helicopters, one constantly at readiness at each base (Dublin, Shannon, Sligo and Waterford) over ten years.

Minister Dempsey considered it unfortunate that the release of some details of the tender before discussions had even commenced could have made legitimate post-tender discussion on the contract details more difficult. In that context he indicated that no further details on discussions would be released until a contract had been concluded.

ENDS

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=189

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Bodan

Minister Dempsey considered it unfortunate that the release of some details of the tender before discussions had even commenced could have made legitimate post-tender discussion on the contract details more difficult. In that context he indicated that no further details on discussions would be released until a contract had been concluded.

Well, if we didn't have these discussions, than the South East wouldn't have had 24 rescue service from 2012 and onwards. :)

Thanks also to whoever leaked the details in the first place.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

Just as a follow up The Helicopter is heading off to Portlaw right now on a night rescue. No idea what is wrong but hopefull all will end safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭wfman

AdMMM wrote: »
    Poor Gary Wyse must have had his face firmly planted in his hands this past while as he contemplated the unique thought of knowing he'd have no chance of holding onto a seat that he had won less than a year a go. Brendan Kenneally associated himself very closely with the families and friends of the Pere Charles tragedy so by default he had to oppose it. It probably broke his morally bankrupt heart to do it!

If there's one thing that can always be said of FF, it's that they're "cute hoors". Such a cutback would obliterate FF in Waterford City. They know that. I wouldn't be surprised if this was all staged so that Brendan Kenneally and Gary Wyse could be seen to be acting in the best interests of their constituents and try and win them back a bit of support.
    kenneally is getting all the praise.(see page 29 of the waterford today this week)waterford lost a minister and kenneally was never getting a seat at the table but i thought he might get a junior minister job.was this the staged bone that they threw him?wouldnt be suprised if kenneally gets to save the day with the problem in whitfield at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭Eemia

Beeker wrote: »
    Just as a follow up The Helicopter is heading off to Portlaw right now on a night rescue. No idea what is wrong but hopefull all will end safely.

Unfortunately it didn't...... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Eemia wrote: »
    sad news alright

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Eemia wrote: »

Ya, too late this time round. Its a good job however that there wasnt a delay in having to get a helicopter down from Shannon or Dublin. Just goes to show that every seconds counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

wfman wrote: »
    kenneally is getting all the praise.(see page 29 of the waterford today this week)waterford lost a minister and kenneally was never getting a seat at the table but i thought he might get a junior minister job.was this the staged bone that they threw him?wouldnt be suprised if kenneally gets to save the day with the problem in whitfield at the moment.

who's praising Kenneally in Waterford Today Newspaper???

• Advertisement
Advertisement