Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walking dogs in Glendalough

Options
  • 15-03-2010 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it's OK to take a dog with you for a day out around Glendalough?

I'd assume it's fine as long as you clean up their poo, keep them on a lead etc.

Just checking before I drive down with the dogs. Don't want to drive all that way only to have to leave straight away!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Yeah its fine, there's always plenty of dogs there and most are not on the leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

We've brought our two mutts with no problems. As long as you bring water and plenty of poo bags you should be fine. The long walk around the valley is a great one for tiring them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

sounds good... anyone got a google map of the walks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Here is a description of the various marked walks around glendalough, and at bottom is a link to pdf of the map.

http://www.wicklowmountainsnationalpark.ie/WalkingTrails.html

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I would definitely recommend a trip to Glendalough. We brought our first guy there. Haven't gone back with the new addition yet but I reckon she'll love it too.
    Picture0021.jpg
    Picture0026.jpg

I've tried to include pictures of Truman enjoying his day out and showing a natural ability for agility.

Ps Sorry about the giant picture, tried to resize it but it clearly didn't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

The walks are lovely there. You can choose long or short ones, and your dogs will have a great time. You could also let them paddle or swim in the lake, if they enjoy the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Lived nearby there for years and walked there all the time.
    Yep it's a great place to walk dogs and you can choose to go for a short ramble for dogs or people that aren't as able or you can go for longer ones. But do park at the lower car park, the top one they usually charge in. You can then walk from there to the top lake, there's loos at either end.

Bring a wee picnic for yourself though, the chip van is daylight robbery.

Plenty of dogs off lead but best to only let your dog off it the dog has good recall, there are sometimes sheep around. Obviously ensure your pooches have id tags, the occasional dog does go missing in the surrounding area.

Considering how many dogs there are on the walks there's very little poop around, most scoop it or dogs run up the hilly bit and do their buisness.

All our dogs love it there, sadly don't get to go very often anymore.
    Our newest lad had his first walkies there a while ago, he was knackered afterwards. Stopping and starting all the time.
    Weekends can be a bit mad esp. Sundays if you can get there on a mon or tues it's usually quieter.

Pics are small but that's our little fella by one of the streams..his first time every seeing one. Other one is him at the upper lake.

Advertisement